“Obstructed view :( such a shame”

Red Square (Dutch Square)
Book In Advance
$52.00*
Historical Malacca Day Trip from Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #8 of 145 things to do in Melaka
More attraction details
Owner description: The center of town is referred to as "Red Square" because of the Dutch-inspired red buildings.
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

It's is a really lovely square and I was super excited about visiting a world heritage site. Unfortunately the square is packed with street stalls which obstruct the view. I understand people are trying to make a living but maybe these could be moved into the carpark area or by the information centre. Really enjoyed Melaka tho

There are newer reviews for Red Square (Dutch Square)

Reviewed May 3, 2014

30 years ago, I visited Malacca town; the river was so filthy smelly and blackish; the pre-war houses by the riverside were so dilapidated that it did not warrant me to have a second look. It was a big contrast today where you see the water in the Malacca River glittering under the hot sun.

However, I see little contrast in the Red Square, it retains the originality except for some landscaping additions and the flowery trishaws horning around with music. I retains my love for this historic site: the evidence of the conquest and influence of the Dutch colonists.

In this particular town of Melaka, the architectural influence of the European colonists had added much flavor to this Asian traditional city. It is here that I have the opportunity to taste the great culinary cooking of the Chinese baba, visited the Christmas light up at the Portuguese settlement, strolled around the Dutch Square, visit the Arab mosque and the Hindu temple, the Islamic museum and the splendid and majestic floating mosque by the seaside. Melaka is such a melting pot of several cultures with deep historic roots that you thought you are back into a memory lane in history that you forgot your self. This is a great town indeed with great historic significance.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was expecting a lot more from a World Heritage listed town. Dutch Square is pretty small. The trishaw drivers with their gaudy vehicles covered in flowers and blaring out music, really disrupts the ambience of what could be a pleasant town square. It is more of a triangle with the Queen Victoria fountain at its centre. Around this is a small ornamental garden and the Clock Tower. Christ Church takes pride of place as star attraction, but don't overlook the other large red brick building. This is the Stadthuys, rumoured to be the oldest Dutch house in Asia. Barely noticeable are the small white mouse deer statues that populate the roundabout. They reference a legend of a rare white mouse deer kicking a dog, the Malay Prince who witness this was impressed with the animals bravery and built Melaka on the site of this event. The deer appear on the town coat of arms.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was fascinated by how Melaka looked like in the pictures - a quaint old town, and the distinction of being a World Heritage Site - so I decided to squeeze it to my itinerary. After what seemed to be a 3-hour bus ride from Putrajaya, and another local bus ride from Melaka Sentral, we arrived late in the afternoon. The atmosphere seemed aloof and lazy, even with the famed reddish hue of the Dutch Square (Christ Church, Stadhuys, Clock Tower). Many tourists hustle about taking pictures, and the trishaws touting with their music speakers on full blast. I went along with them, crossing the streets back and forth snapping away, taking a picture of the arch at Jonker Street (it and Chinatown didn't seem inviting to enter), and settling on the bridge overlooking the Malacca River. It was charming while it lasted. As the sun fell so did the activity around the place. The square got quieter and darker - apparently no nightlife is to be found here. We waited for a bus to take us to the shopping centers (Mahkota Parade and Dataran Pahlawan) but it took so long as a half hour had passed and no one knew when the next one was coming, we ended up taking a 20-min long walk (pity, a bus probably came 10mins after we left). We did see the other tourist spots along the way but it was less impressive. We had to rush dinner at Mahkota Parade because the last bus for KL leaves past 8pm; and still with no local bus spotted headed for Melaka Sentral, we had no choice but to take a cab. My Melaka experience was to be honest a disappointing one, as we spent more time traveling to and from, and not really enjoying the place. Maybe a morning trip might turn out to be livelier, but I'm not going back any time soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Its supposed to be the beautiful places.it just to much street seller along the squares. And somehow it block the beauty of the place