“Bad Hotel to Stay”

Ranked #101 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Bad Hotel to Stay”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I visited Malacca from 18 April to 20 April 2014, staying at The Bayview Hotel.
I was very disappointed with the services and amenities provided by this hotel :
• I received a confirmation from booking.com that the 2 nites stay at the Junior Suite of this hotel will be charged at MYR826.80 in total inclusive of tax and service charges. But the hotel charged me the amount of MYR908.80.
• I requested for an extra large double bed, but only a queen size bed was provided.
• I requested for extra bottles of drinking water, the hotel staff said only 2 bottles is complimentary per day. Any extra, I will have to pay for it.
• I was told on booking.com website that the internet wifi is available in all areas and is free of charge. Be Caution : only 1 device can be used for this free wifi. Any extra devices, you will have to pay for using wifi.
• The room’s facet and furnitures are very old. The bed was quirky. The reception on the television channels were bad too.
• We were given the Junior Suite on 10th floor. During the 2 nites stay, the sound of singing and screaming, from some where downstair, can be heard very clearly until the wee morning.
• Proper power socket was not provided for boiling of water. Got to put the kettle on the floor to use the power.
• Breakfast was provided. We were shocked to see ants crawling on the plate of sliced cheese and over burned hashbrown on the buffet table.
• The Reception Front Desk staff were very unfriendly.

Overall, this was a bad experience for me at this hotel, claiming that they are 4 stars hotel.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone at all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
BayviewMelaka, Public Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We regret that your stay with us was not to expectation. We are pleased to advise that we have since improved the wifi access to allow more than 1 device for the password issued. Meanwhile, we thank you once again for your constructive comments and endeavour to improve the facilities and services in the areas concerned.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Hmmm.. very tough to review. I chose this hotel because of its location, right in front of a hospital that my mother was warded. I chose a Deluxe room which is more spacious (and obviously more expensive than the Standard/Superior Room). The pillows were too soft for my liking (but I stand neutral on this - somebody else might like it). But I can't sleep until 2am because of the noise coming from the doors that connected to the other room (all Deluxe Rooms are connecting rooms). Oh, one more to add, my bathroom door cannot be closed at all. So, in the next morning I asked to change to other room. They said that it is because of the wind at high floors - so they want to change me to another room also at level 14. I declined with a reason that since the reason is due to the wind, should it be all rooms at level 14 are noisy? So I downgraded to Standard/Superior room, and there started different stories. I wanted to call for a room service, but they just have a telephone without the cord! Thats fine, so I called using my mobile phone. The tv channels are poor. Don't count on it. The receptionists were average - but one of them quite rude.

The only positive thing I that have is the room service is quite quick, around 30 mins.

Overall, if you really want to stay at this hotel, you have must a very very good reason why you want this hotel, and I wish you luck.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms at Level 14 all have connecting rooms. It seemed that the connected doors produced nois...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank whymiq
Thank you for your feedback. We apologise for our shortcomings and will look into the areas concerned. Meanwhile, we look forward to the opportunity to be of better service to you.

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel is in dire need of a refurbishing. No doubt the lobby looks promising, the rooms, elevator, furniture really need to be replaced/renovated. Old furniture may provide the atmosphere of a historical town, but pretty and functional furniture that are refurbished will become antique and are appreciated. And the hotel could've at least done something to the television programme receptions, which was hopeless.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We have since rectified the glitch in the TV reception. Rest assured that refurbishment of rooms are being carried out on a floor by floor basis and we look forward to being of better service to you in future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Location:
street outside hotel are quite safe to roam around
12min walk to Jonker St
limited eateries around
road outside hotel are terribly jam during peak hour

Room:
good sized for 2a & 2child
good water pressure
generally in need of refubrishing.
no free wifi (payable)
no safe in room
door latch are broken
door keycard are often disconnected ( always claim we place near magnetic device, which we didnt)
table are not clean
dusty & mouldly

Service:
Staff are generally polite & helpful

I wouldnt be back to this hotel for 1 main reason. SAFETY!
The reception counter have no view of the hotel door entrance.
Anybody can just walk in thru the main lobby or direct access thru the carpark to the rooms.
Especially when my door latch are broken, u dont sleep in peace.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BayviewMelaka, Public Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are in the midst of refurbishing our Superior Rooms. Wifi is also issued on a complimentary basis with room packages however charges may apply for additional wifi codes.

Rest assured that we value your feedback and suggestions and will look into the points mentioned.
Best regards
Francesca Lopez
Marketing Communications Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed 1 night in a superior room as no other hotels available.
Lobby not so bad to start with.
Nightmare started when going into lift. It was from 1940's!
Then into the walkway - No aircond!
While trying to keep and open mind, open my room door there's this smell like visiting your unoccupied hometown house room. Door knob broken from inside.
Not enough lighting in bathroom. Shower in he dark. Nice!
Furnitures were old and stained.
TV reception was bad all channels (unclear Astro services without rain)
Old fashioned air conditioner which has sound of Malacca river cruise. Luckily manage to sleep off on the hard mattress and fluffy pillow (oh there is good point finally)

If the management seriously wants to keep the hotel in the radar please do something. I beg you. Till then my title stands.

Room Tip: I guess suites the only option. Superior and deluxe were dreadful
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Refurbishments of our Superior Rooms are currently being carried out on a floor by floor basis. We are also changing the lighting in the bathroom as suggested. Notwithstanding the above, we appreciate your constructive feedback and look forward to being of better service to you.
Manchester
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night for a short break and booked this on agoda.com. Prices were not cheap and this was advertised as a 4-star hotel, which it most definitely was not!

Firstly, I have to say that there was a slight difference between the two rooms we booked - one was a junior suite and one normal superior room.

The junior suite was overall quite pleasant - very spacious and clean. The furniture was tired and aged so that was not great (although I noticed that the furniture was in a better condition than the furniture in the standard superior room!)

The standard superior room however, was not in a good condition at all! Firstly, the air-conditioning was very noisy and loud. I could not sleep at all despite earplugs and this obviously, was not pleasant. Secondly, as mentioned before, the room was in desperate need for refurbishment and the furniture needed replacing desperately. The bathroom was clean but again, needed to be refurbished. The main shower was clearly not repaired and instead replaced with a cheap plastic handheld one (see photos). Overall, I did not enjoy my stay in the room at all.

Breakfast was also equally as bad. Whilst there was a variety of different types of food - Malaysian hot food (fried rice, fried noodles, congee), Western hot food (egg station, hot dogs), pastries/muffins, cereal and fresh fruit, the quality of the food was truly atrocious! We ended up just eating toast and went out to Malacca town for proper food.

We didn't use the facilities in the hotel, and was particularly aghast when we saw that the swimming pool was being used by children that were fully-clothed and not in swimwear. We noticed an adult who was fully-clothed and wet so I shudder to think where they've been!

Service at the hotel wasn't great either. At the reception we were greeted well and was offered two rooms on the same floor, which we appreciated. However, they weren't able to accommodate our other requests eg. adjoining rooms, upgrade to deluxe room etc. Also, when asking for directions to the main tourist attractions, whilst they did try, they didn't seem to know what was going on.

I was particularly annoyed as there were 2 things wrong with our room - initially the air-conditioning wasn't working and the safe was locked and couldn't be opened. I requested for these to be looked at and resolved, but unfortunately was completely ignored, despite asking twice!

The only good point about this hotel is the location - quite central and easy to get to Malacca's historical town (Jonkers' Street) but you still need a car or taxi as it is not near enough to walk.

Overall, I would avoid this hotel if I had a choice - only barely liveable!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We are currently in the midst of refurbishing our Superior Rooms on a floor by floor basis. We have also replaced the chiller for the entire hotel as part of our renovation works. Meanwhile, for added comfort, do opt for our Deluxe Rooms with Jacuzzi and Rain shower which we are certain will meet your expectations. Notwithstanding the above, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to being of better service to you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a coach package from Singapore for one night.
Rooms are terribly run down with all the fixtures and fittings looking like they hadn't been changed for over 20 years. Carpet was old and filthy while housekeeping standards were poor with find feeling line they weren't cleaned thoroughly. Sheets used were thin and old and nothing in the rooms gives you any impression of luxury whatsoever which surprise me how this hotel can maintain its star ratings.
They only thing which stops me from giving this hotel a 1 out of five is the breakfast provided is OK and staff were generally pleasant.
Don't stay here as it is not worth the money and you can get better hotels in malacca for the same price or cheaper.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Refurbishments of our Superior Rooms are currently being carried out on a floor by floor basis. Meanwhile, for added comfort, do opt for our Deluxe Rooms with Jacuzzi and Rain shower which we are certain will meet your expectations. Notwithstanding the above, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to being of better service to you.