“Secluded area”

Bayview Hotel Melaka
Ranked #67 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hotel lobby looked huge and clean but the room looked old.
Toilet faucet faulty,stained shower curtain, shower area looked very old and in need of major renovation. Have to wait for 30mins to checked in, staff not friendly, unapproachable and unprofessional.
The TV is so outdated and small. Could hardly see any shows clearly and reception not fantastic.
Breakfast buffet is so blend not much variety and most of it tasted salty! The weakest and bad point is that wifi is chargeable and can be only use by one mobile/electronic each time. This is so riduculous!!
Need to travel far to tourist attraction and not suitable for family with small kids to stay in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tammy A
ChelvakumarC, Manager at Bayview Hotel Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at Bayview during my recent business trip to Malacca. As it is the nearby hotel to my office, I booked the room for 2 nights.
During the first night, after shower, I would like to use the hair dryer but after a few seconds when I switched it on, it ran out of order. I tried to pull out the switch and re-connected back to the socket but failed. I called up the reception and they immediately sent one maintenance to come over. He looked at the hair dryer and told me that it was too hot. I looked at him and told him that I just switched it on for few seconds. He checked, checked, checked and checked, somehow, it worked after that. The maintenance left my room and I tried to use the hairdryer again. Still, the same thing happened. It was not working. I have no choice but to call the reception again to inform her the problem I encountered. She told me that she will change another one for me. After a while, the same maintenance guy came with a slightly old hair dryer which looks like it has not been used for ages. I just took the hairdryer and placed it in the drawer.
The air-conditioner was relatively warm even I switched it to high. It was like no air-con at all. Since it was warm and my slept was not well, I was awaken at 2.30am in the morning by the construction work that was carrying out 24 hours just beside the hotel. The sound was too loud that made me couldn't sleep well.
The next day, I went to the cafe for breakfast. The variety is limited but I just need to grab some food for the day. When I was back to the hotel in the evening, I called the reception to check on my room air-con and asked her whether I can change my room because it was too noisy. The maintenance guy came and checked on the air-con and told me that the air-con pipe was having some problem. The maintenance told me that he will inform the front office so that they can arrange another room for me. I switched it to another room which was on the other side and thanks God that my slept was much better as I was not interrupted by the construction noise but the air-con still very weak.
Overall, I think the cleanliness of the room is okay but really need a major improvement in terms of the room setup, furniture, fittings such as air-con, TV.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a run-down, not terribly clean property in a fairly average location with little to recommend it beyond a very nice bellhop. The room was poorly air-conditioned and felt vaguely damp; the best was hard and the pillows were foam; the TV was wonky and showed the same sports station on three of the 12 channels it received. For the price it was offered ($100/night), the a/c should have at least been decent.

Fortunately, a kind bellhop took pity when we returned from our original room (no a/c, broken tv) and arranged for another. I appreciate that kind of service, no matter what star-level rating. In any case, he's a 5-star bellhop.

This level of hotel is available in Malacca for less money. Significantly better is available for 50% more. Stay if nothing else is available and you're not keen on a hostel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel definitely need some improvement to their in room facilities, for short stay it is OK. Location wise, it is pretty much accessible to get your meals as there are nearby coffee shop and convenience stores.
Staffs are really helpful when ask for services and directions to place of interest or for food.
Will definitely go back again.

1  Thank jtej2008
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed in a deluxe room for 2 nights. Room was quite spacious and clean. The furnishings were a bit tired but overall we were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The service of the hotel staff could have been better. Check-in was relatively smooth, but a little more courtesy from the reception staff would have been appreciated. Check-out was a nightmare. There were 2 staff at reception, but only 1 ready to do the check-out despite the line of people waiting to check-out. check-out took 40 mins, so plan accordingly. This level of service seems to be pervasive throughout the staff of the hotel. None of the staff we encountered during our stay made us feel either pleasant or welcome.
Location of the hotel is ok. It's a 12-15 mins walk to the main attractions. As the city is best explored on foot, this was not really a problem. There is a 7-11 just opposite the hotel which was convenient. Not many options for restaurants close to the hotel. The room service menu for the hotel is quite limited. We ordered room service twice and were dissapointed with the food both times.

1  Thank anym1
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in Aug-12. Room was very spacious and comfortable. Parking is free at the hotel, even for members of the public. There isn't any barrier or gantry to enter the sheltered carpark. Complimentary newspaper is given in the morning but only in Chinese. Apart from the illegal street racing at night and the sound of ambulance sirens (hotel is located next to a hospital), this hotel provides travellers a comfortable place to rest. The hotel charges RM41 for buffet breakfast but the variety is not impressive.

Location-wise, it is about 20mins walk to Jonker Street. There is a nearby coffee shop which is 5mins walk from the hotel where you can grab a bite to eat. If you are intending to get to Mahkota shopping mall, it is not advisable to walk as it is way too far from the hotel. There isnt any shuttle bus service from the hotel to any shopping malls so you got to take a cab (if u can find one in Malacca) or drive yourself there.

Overall, my stay at Bayview Hotel Malacca was comfortable and acceptable.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for better view.
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We have stayed there several times and were hoping to get a comfortable and pleasant stay. Using their special membership package, we booked 2 rooms and were told that we could use the voucher to upgrade to a Deluxe room at a price. Since we were planning to spend most of our time visiting relatives & shopping & dining, we decided not to upgrade. However after one night's stay, we were totally disappointed. The bathroom had many unacceptable flaws, leaking faucet, broken toilet bowl cover and choked sink. We then went to see the front desk staff to request an upgrade; preparing to pay for it at the member's rate. We were informed that we were "not entitled" as our rooms wer complimentary. Imagine our surprise as we had paid quite a sum to join as members and we could have gotten two nights' stay with many more perks at another more prestigious hotel. Fortunately the Duty Manager managed to resolve that and we spent the rest of our stay in the Deluxe room ( at a price of course) and it was much much better.. So if you wish to have a comfortable and pleasant stay, don't book the Superior room. Also, don't expect great service as they apparently cater more for group tours and are not great with personalized service. Location is ok and breakfast is above average.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors. Choose the Deluxe Room or if you have 4 persons, book the 2-bedroom suite...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family