All reviews premium room the river balcony room jonker street strategic location walking distance toilet seat christ church excellent location casa del rio no lift maritime museum noodles night view rooms are clean big room warehouse
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

Paid via online booking. Hotel ask for deposit, which we offered in foreign currency and they declined. After much dispute, the hotel Manager finally accepted. When we finally got to the room. It was far from the pics. Please do not believe in the pic. I had to shower half way and get out of the shower because there was no hot water. And we called 2-3 times down to the reception before someone got back to us. We booked 2 out of 3 rooms was having water issues. There was no min bar in the room. They manually went up to the rooms to check before returning the deposits and our car were already waiting. Too much delay and unhappiness on this trip. Will not book this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank lynda c
Reviewed August 1, 2018

Nice room, courteous staff and interesting river view. Adjacent restaurant Halia offers good choices to select from. Location is a premium - proximity to many of the attractions that Melaka has to offer.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed May 30, 2018

This may sound like a total fusspot reviewing but am writing to preempt other potential guests. Go ahead and stay if you need just a bed and bath.
So this is when our “nightmares” began…

1) Lobby - I noticed only ONE air-conditioning unit and quite a few fans blowing away in the reception and it was close to 32 deg out there. The entire hotel looked like it used to be a warehouse but at the same time reminded me of the prison cells in the States.

2) Room – The floor and doors look like it needs to be wiped with Dettol several times. My bedsheet was a little stained. There was a pair of socks stuffed behind the headboard. The aircon felt like 18 deg when it was 28 deg. TV channels are limited and not kid-friendly. Our balcony door was able to open but not lock and we had to ask for help, the guy managed to fix it but I was still worried ‘cause it didn’t look secure. The room which my niece was allocated (room 108) could not be secured with the chain lock as the catch was missing.

3) Bathroom - The toilet may be white-tiled but it definitely needs some bleaching and scrubbing. The toilet is not plus-size friendly as the sink is placed near the toilet bowl so if you are bigger in size or have long legs, you might find yourself “squashed”. There’s only a rain shower and it kind of flooded when we showered. The water heater in my room (107) wasn’t really working and it was a challenge to bathe without freezing myself. The hair dryer is not very user-friendly as I had to press and hold the button until I’m done and my hand ached after that, my family members shared the same sentiments. We requested for a change of towels on the 2nd day and was horrified to find a stripe of what looked like dust on the white towel which the chambermaid handed to us from her trolley of what was supposed to be freshly washed towels. The tube of shower gel wasn’t even full, aren’t they supposed to put new ones instead of old ones left by the previous guests?

4) Thin walls – this hotel is certainly not for the light sleepers. All rooms face the lobby and because of the thin walls, all of us (my family and myself who occupied 3 rooms at level 1) had a hard time sleeping through the 3 nights. For the record, we were assigned rooms attached with balconies that face the river, which is also a walking path for pedestrians and spacious enough for the trishaws to pass by. Other guests were either stomping or dragging their chairs and it was really loud.

25 May 2018, @ 12.30am – there were chattering at the lobby and we realized those were staff who were probably “guarding” the premises. Fine, but they were too noisy.

25 May 2018 @ 3.54am – someone ran along the corridor and I was woken up by the sound of running footsteps which made me jump out of bed thinking there was some emergency evacuation. Minutes later I heard a couple talking outside and the lady started ringing the bell at the reception endlessly for what felt like a few seasons and kept chanting “218” in mandarin (need I say more where she hails from). Thanks to her “chant”, I only managed to fall back to sleep an hour later…

26 May 2018 @ 5am – some bicycle user was happily beeping away and I got woken up 3 hours before my scheduled wake-up time.

27 May 2018 @ some ungodly hour – my husband got woken up by a vomiting noise and realized there was a drunkard sitting beside the river throwing up

5) Breakfast – I had wanted to try the breakfast at Halia Inc (beside Quayside Hotel) and was told it costs RM 20 per pax. We had expected a typical buffet spread but was caught off guard when we walked into an unfilled quaint cafe with empty buffet trays and there were only 2 other patrons who told us “this is the ‘best’ hotel in Malaysia, so good they have the buffet trays without the dish and you have to order from the menu”. Well we reckon the patron is equally pissed as us, so we didn’t get to try their breakfast and made our way to Dataran Pahlawan Mall instead. So if you’re planning on having a hearty breakfast, try Casa Del Rio (CDR) opposite Quayside Hotel where service and spread are tip-top.

6) Late check-out – I had requested for late check-out as our transport was scheduled to arrive at 3pm. Was told by the front desk that they charge RM 20 per hour for the extension but the guy on duty was kind enough not to charge us for extending till 1pm. Not sure about other travelers but this is the first time I have heard of such a charge for a late check-out.

Thank you for reading my lengthy feedback/review/complaints. Just wanted to share my 2cents worth and hope the management will consider working on improvements ‘cause this hotel has potential (it’s sitting on a prime location) but there are some flaws that need to be worked on to “wow” guests.

Room Tip: NO good rooms at all. All rooms face the lobby and river /road. Not for the lightsleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank DivyaLee
Reviewed May 15, 2018

I am very regret to stay in this hotel, i book this hotel through Agoda and remark to prepare a baby cot . On the day i checked in , the hotel staff told me they don't have baby cot in the hotel , my baby just 10 month old, if they dont have baby cot , they should had call me early so i can cancel the booking and look for other option. I ask for the frontline staff for solution , they said they can arrange an extra bed for there will be charged RM80 . First of all, bed is not safe for a 10 months baby. Secondly ,is not my fault and they still want to charge me. After enter the room, another disappointed , there are bunch of hairs on floor, and lot of dust on the carpet, i wonder did they ever vacum the carper since the hotel opening, the bathroom floor is full of mold and stain. My room is Mawar suite, and it right infront of the cruise pick up point which is very noisy . The only good thing is the room is spacious and the freeze is cold, and really i cant think of other good point.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2018

Booked this hotel for a break after a long drive from Johor Baharu. Decided to visit Malacca and have some rest.

Arrived around 6.30pm and there are few empty carpark spots along the building. However, if you don't have the authority parking coupon (which you can buy at the selected store and 7E) you can find public carpark just further a bit from the hotel. They're providing 3-4 carpark bay for Quayside. The hotel building is next to the Melaka river and easy to locate.

The check-in counter staff were not so friendly and rarely smile.

We got the 2nd-floor room with a view. The view is opposite hotel (Casa Del Rio) and you can see the Melaka River, boats and at night the view is more majestic as lights turned on.

The bed were so comfortable, clean, cool, and room complete with amenities. Just that, I think they need to change the bath towel as it looks so old and yellowish and also kindly provide face towels too. Other than that, everything is okay.

You can walk to the Jonker Street, Cendol Jam Besar and few attractive locations.

Besides the unwelcoming face of the staff, we are happy during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple