“Fantastic hotel. Excellent location, design and atmosphere. Everything was brand new, great view on the river and a very easy wa”
Review of QuaySide Hotel

QuaySide Hotel
Ranked #37 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Excellent location, design and atmosphere. Everything was brand new, great view on the river and a very easy walk to all attractions and malls. The adjoining restaurant has the best coffee I've had in Malaysia so far. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I will start with the good points of this hotel before it is clouded by other issues.
1. Excellent location - walking distance from all the main attractions, great view of the river, facing the beautiful casa del rio
2. Great ambiance - the interior design is attractive, incorporating elements to preserve the warehouse yet upgrade it to something elegant.
3. Room is nice. Although quite small. Loved the bed, comfy pillows, room lighting is great. Personally liked the towels - heavy and has a nice feel. We booked premium queen room, 2nd floor facing the river.

Now comes all the nitty gritty stuff that could easily put you off and ruin the good feel of the vacation.
1. Called the hotel for reservation. It was smooth (or so I thought). Staff was polite and nice. Was told to expect an e-mail with booking confirmation and details. Didn't get any email and after a few days called back to inquire. Apparently they didnt record my reservation. That's a big no no. Gave my details again as somehow they didn't keep my info and informed the hotel that I will be driving. Even gave them my plate no.
2. Arrived at hotel, parked in front of the hotel entrance ( thought that was reserved for the hotel at that time didn't know the PARKING AT HOTEL ENTRANCE IS SUBJECT TO PARKING COUPON). Check in went smooth. Next day we just walk around the city while the car sits in front of the hotel and we got fined. Confronted the reception and apparently they forgot to inform us that you need parking coupon to park in front of hotel but THERE IS A RESERVED PARKING FOR THE HOTEL GUESTS JUST A BIT FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD. And the hotel issues a coupon to display that you are a hotel guest parking there. This is not a big issue. But what I didn't like was that the person who received us accused me to the face " you didn't tell us you brought you're car". This was so wrong on so many levels because in the first place when we arrived he did not ask and wrong! I did inform when I made my reservation. Good thing the lady who took my reservation was at the counter and she confirmed this. Then the person continued to annoy me by saying "everyone knows you need to have a parking coupon to park here in Melaka". I was irritated but I only replied that I just arrived in Melaka the day before. How was I to know right? In the end the hotel settled the fine. A plus point there. But all the inconvenience of having to repeat yourself can be a bit too much.

Quayside has potential but its not quite there yet. Once they can manage to make the reservation, reception seamless, only then I would consider it more then average. As of now, the potential is clouded by the hiccups. Hopefully this will be improved with time and experience.

Room Tip: Premium queen, river view, upper floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed one night in a premium riverside room on the ground floor. The room, although new and clean, was rather small and basic. Great views of the river and I liked the lighting too. The very firm pillow suited me and we both slept quite well. Bathroom was compact too. Good rain shower with lots of hot water but pity there was no curtain or screen and the whole bathroom got wet. There was a safe and an ironing board in the wardrobe and was satisfied with the complimentary drinks and toiletries. Could do with a pair of room slippers though. The next morning, we both had the cooked breakfast which was nice. Parked my car outside on the street overnight and was glad that it was OK.The almost RM240 a night seemed to be on the high side but it included the breakfast. Overall, quite cosy and stylish, and great location just beyond the old town square and an easy walk to Jonker Street and the tourist sights.

Room Tip: The riverside views make all the difference!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel is brand new. Converted from an old warehouse on the river.

Everything works, the furniture is comfortable, it looks nice and above all there are no bed bugs, yet.

The staff are still learning the ropes, so check-in and check-out took quite a long time. The rooms facing the road are rather noisy. The bathroom shower makes the entire bathroom wet, which ladies might not like. Other than those things, our stay was excellent and it was good value for money.

I've stayed in 4 places in Melaka. This is the best value for money and the most modern. I hope they can maintain this standard. (Maintenance is the biggest thorn in the side of Malaysian tourism. Any business in Malaysia that gets the hang of proper maintenance will be very successful.)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are noisy at night. If you're a light sleeper, pay extra for the river fro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We checked in on 19th Oct and it was a smooth one.

Overall very good, the cleanliness, the surroundings, the service and the breakfast.

However only one thing we would like to comment.

The "beef soup noodle" at Halia Inc restaurant need a tremendous improvement because it taste like plain water with noodles, beef and that's it. They should cook the beef broth for long hours to get the finest beef taste like the ones in Thailand.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We chanced upon this cite new establishment on the internet and decided to book it. Converted from an old Port Customs House, the hotel is an incredibly stylish place and rooms are beautifully decorated with modernist furniture. It's easily the most chic hotel in Melaka, superbly located next to the Joker street and right next to the river. Having said all that, the establishment is suffering from some teething problems as a new hotel. On eh our book it, it is impossible go contact them via emails for any queries. The front desk is also understaffed and checking in and out can be a hassle. The acoustics are not well treated in the place as we can hear the foot traffic slightly. The bathroom also floods during the shower because they don't have glass partition or shower curtains. Having said all that- we still enjoyed our stay and love the superb location. It is so convenient that we literally walked around the old town and we would certainly return- our only wish is that the hotel management would improve by the time we return.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms would probably be quieter. We stayed on the ground floor and could hear footsteps...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank livresse
Reviewed October 15, 2013

First of all, booking was relatively easy as i preferred to deal with the hotel direct for most of my trip rather than thru agents/website. Called in to book the room, as it was during peak period and so CC details was required to secure the booking. Do take note u need to place a refundable RM$50 deposit during check-in.

Checked in at 2pm. Was given Room 201 which is a Premium Unit with a balcony and riverview. Room is clean, decent size. Towels, shower caps, iron + ironing board, toothbrush, shampoos is provided. Only downside is that the shower area isnt separated and so when you take a shower, the whole bathroom would be wet. Not much of an issue to me anyway. But those with elderly needs to be careful.

Love the balcony which faces the river, very windy and a pretty nice place to chill out with ur friends or loved ones with a beer at night. The live band opposite at Casa isnt much of a headache(Nt that loud).

Food at Halia Inc next door is decent(Tasty Nasi Lemak set), service is pretty good. Drop by 2 nights for a tea and cake session at night after all the Jonker Street stuff. Breakfast provided is decent. Porridge, nasi lemak, fried beehoon/noodle is quite tasty. They have bread as well.

Location is great. Minutes walk from most tourist location.Parking wise for those who are driving is very limited.

Price wise i find it acceptable(RM$526 for 2 nights, travelled on 12th to 14th Oct).

Room Tip: Like they say, get a premium room on level 2 where u have your own balcony and a great view facing t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple