This is one of those places that I'm really torn reviewing. In many ways, it should be a clear "excellent" hotel. However, they still need to get some of the basics right first in order for that to happen. In the meantime, they are starting to be borderline "average".
I stayed here for 3 nights with my wife while traveling through Malaysia this summer. We booked directly through their website, quaysidehotel.com.my, because we couldn't find them on any of the main booking website such as Booking.com. However, we didn't have any problems with contacting them directly. When it comes to the hotel itself, two things struck me as really nice about it - the location and the style. The location is hard to beat. It's on the river and literally just around the corner from the Jonker street and most other sights in Malacca. The facilities themselves are new (around 1 year old), and it has that edgy "warehouse turned boutique hotel" feel that is really refreshing. It really is like the pictures you see online. It is generally clean (more about that later), and the staff was also mostly friendly (also more later). Breakfast was a buffet on the weekend with a lot of variety. However, during the week, when I think less people were staying there, it was only a selection between "Local" or "Western". The later of which consisted of eggs, toast, beans, spinach, etc. and a coffee plus juice. The weekend buffet was better in my opinion.
The disappointing points of this hotel were a bit unexpected and are the following.
1) The deposit: During check-in, the staff at the front desk had a bit of trouble explaining to us that there was a 50 MYR deposit on the room. Be prepared for that. After a bit of discussion, they were finally accommodating enough to let us give it to them the next day after we had been to a bank. Upfront information on this would have been appreciated. Also when you leave, be sure to have the receipt on the deposit ready. Otherwise they won't give you the money back!
2) The shower: There is no curtain or anything to keep the water from splashing around the bathroom or puddling the entire floor. Maybe this is regionally normal or just something specific to this hotel. I am not sure. In any case, I would have preferred a shower that didn't flood the bathroom.
3) The electronic key-card: For some reason, this had to re-coded for us daily. It never seemed to keep the coding for our room for more than one use a day.
4) There's no internet in the business center, so it's not possible to print out something on their computer.
5) And finally, the cleaning crew! This was definitely the most annoying part of our stay. After our first night, we were surprised to see that our room hadn't been made up nor the towels changed. I had purposely left my on the floor because I had seen a spot on it. Not wanting to make a big deal out of it, I chased someone down in the hallway and got us fresh towels. The next day, however, our room was AGAIN not cleaned! This time we talked to one of the managers. He was the nicest and most accommodating persons on site. He apologized and moved us from one of the rooms overlooking the street to a "fresh" room across the lobby with a balcony overlooking the river. This was an appreciated response, and we did enjoy that evening drinking and snacking on the balcony. For future reference, though, the cleaning crew should know to make up each room being occupied - even if there isn't a "Please make up my room" sign on the door.
I had really looked forward to staying at this hotel and would still recommend it to someone else going to Malacca. However, I hope to hear from following reviewers that they have worked out the above mentioned issues so that it can be an overall "excellent" experience for others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You've arrived at Quayside Hotel. A Customs Warehouse renovation 3-star Boutique Hotel.Located on the banks of Melaka River in the heart of the tourist hub, you're within walking distance to everything you want to see in Melaka. Do you stay and relax, or go exploring? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your QuaySide Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.