“Great 3 star boutique hotel”
Review of Swan Garden Hotel

Swan Garden Hotel
Ranked #62 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
“Great 3 star boutique hotel”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

A new three star boutique hotel in which has a variety of themes of rooms. Check in was fast, and the hotel is very clean with a lift catering to the floors. Checked in the room (Malay theme), the room looks cleaned and spacious, the weird part is the switches, in which some are located behind the furniture. Each switch controls one light. The room doesn't have a main light, but it has a make up table light, entrance light, and two lamp lights at the side of the bed. Romantic ambience? Power saving? I wouldn't know. The bedroom doesn't come with a bathtub but a shower.(those looking for bathtub can opt for the baba nyonya room. Shower was slow, and the drainage for the shower and also the sink is very slow. In term of cleanliness, I would give a thumbs up, but if nothing is done with the drainage, prepare to see some algae in the near future. Location is good, close to Donald and Lily, the beach and also mahkota. Great no frills hotel, but the price might be slightly high

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotelboss1989

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is new hotel in Taman Syahbandar which close to the City Center.
They have theme rooms on various floors.
The "Tatami" rooms are very cramped,so avoid them.
The Courtyard rooms are nothing to shout about as the courtyard is just
a small balcony !
They took a long them checking-in our small group,but can't complain as they
upgraded us to Superior rooms (they may be full then ?)
The superior rooms are fairly large.
The buffet breakfast at the Coffee House was fairly good.
There are sufficient parking lots around the hotels.
There is a good Chinese restaurant,"Bei Zhan" across the road.
There is a small nyonya eatery a few doors away from this hotel.
Pls note that there are many budget hotels in the vicinity.
Overall this hotel represents very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LowHarry
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel is pretty new, rooms are decent. However, hotel seems a bit sparsely furnished and it's a bit dark overall. Location is good, near some food places and Jonker Walk and town area. There is also a good Nonya eatery right beside the hotel.

1 Thank gohgohgoh
Malaysia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel, it is by newly constructed shopping lots, the street were not even updated on most of the maps. When driving from the main road, you would not miss it as it is the tallest standing building on the row.
We were given a room at the third floor, The room was clean. We requested for an additional bed, I was surprised that they gave us a mattress...
Breakfast was just so so. but you can find what you want for proper BF. Coffee served was not up to my taste, too light, they can do much better.

City center and major attractions would be about 25 minutes walk, so if you are with children please make sure you are equipped. They do have a shuttle van which is NOT complementary.
They should make the van available for scheduled trips to the city center.
I would go again if the price is right otherwise will check other options.

Room Tip: It is better if you had your own transportation.
1 Thank Zoula
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Lets start with the good as there is VERY little

- A lot of parking
- Nice stores near by inc. a lot of steamboat restaurants
- Clean
- Restaurant breakfast was pretty good. <-- best feature

That's about it.

Here are my issues:

1) Their wi-fi is absolute garbage! Yes, I am on vacation but I have to connect to work, this is really hard when each floor has 3 different routers and they rotate whether they are working or not. So during a video conference network 1 will work then it doesn't and I have to switch to network 3. But during this switch my call of course is lost. There was one network #2 that had strong signal throughout the days I stayed but of course the password didnt work. I called downstairs to ask the receptionist what I can do, and she told me first to try to password again I explained that was not my issue, she then told me that the maintenance manager was not available I asked when he would be she said ohhh he is not here. Well that doesn't help me very much does it! So she tells me to come to the lobby to do all my work. Seriously?! You want me to sit in the lobby for a 1-2 hr conference call?! I thought that was a little ridiculous. So i'm stuck with dodgy internet trying to explain to my bosses that the maintenance manager just is not there to fix my issue.

2) Housekeeping, just a quick note. When you're cleaning up the room, when you check the bathroom make sure there is toilet paper. I'm not even asking for an extra role just ONE that has more than one square. I won't go into detail about this situation....

3) In the morning we had to check out pretty early as our flight from KL is at 10am. So it takes approx 2 hours to get there and we like to be at the airport early which means we have to leave at 5am. We requested a wake up call which the reception did but when we got downstairs around 5:20am the entire lobby was dark. I've never been in a hotel where the lobby was dark. (I have pictures to show after). My father called out 2-3 times for someone to come to the front as we had to check out. He said "hello, checking out' "hello is anyone there" . This is when our taxi driver came and still no one at front desk. My mom then knocked on the door...still no one and now my taxi driver is standing there waiting for us. I finally scream EXCUSE ME, and a gentlemen shows up. Now I get it sucks to work night shift, I really do, my boyfriend worked night shift for a few months and it took a toll....but if you're at work...you need to be at WORK... In total it took approx 13 minutes for the guy to come out to check us out.

4) This isn't the staff fault (finally) but the hotel has very thin walls and very thin windows. It may be that I came during Hari Raya but all I could hear at night was fireworks...all night, 2 am 3am 5 am. I could hear every motorcycle that drove by. I could hear the people upstairs coming in at 12am and the people across the hall having a 20 min convo about their dinner at midnight when I had to get up @ 4am. It was...wonderful.

Anyways, would I recommend this hotel? As long as you don't need to connect with anyone you love or for work and you don't really care for a great sleep ya sure!

Honestly, no I wouldn't, just too many things make this hotel a waste of space, money and time. I've never had such little sleep in my life.

4 Thank lil0lin

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is rather new so all the furnishing are still new and intact. Very clean and the staff was very friendly. Room was very spacious, with wardrobe area and cosy sitting area near the tv. It was the Baba Nyonya room, the bathroom came with a bathtub and a see through glass with blinds in the bathroom wall next to the room. Breakfast was ok, good variety and taste great. Abit pricey but definitely worth the price. Location is great too, not to far from shopping malls and there is a big kopitiam nearby for all kinds of local delicacy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amelia C
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The design of the rooms are all unique. Very clean and cosy. We went to Melaka for a short trip and got ourselves into the room. It is about 3 minutes drive to the town center where there are plenty of eateries and hang out places. We are there for only 1 night to check out the life in Melaka. The check in for the room is fast as the receptionist has got our details ready upon our arrival. The breakfast is quite standard for a 3 stars hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends