“where we spent our wedding night...”

Wayfarer Guest House
Ranked #4 of 227 Melaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 23, 2012

i had stayed in multiple hotels scattered along jonker street, but for our wedding we wanted a special hotel that would mean something to us. The thing ith jonker street is that most of the fanciest hotel doesnt have the malacca river view, only the street view, and on weekends the noise from the bars block pretty much all the peace of mind. so i walked along the fancy hotels, doubled back then walked along the malacca river side to find hotels there. I came across a budget hotel and requested to look at their rooms. they had the standard cheap brown bedding synonymous with all budget hotels. but this one just threw me off. They had such a laid back entrance, homely bar (where can you get a homely bar in a boutique hotel?!) a traditional Gujarati swing, a group of mismatched wood and rattan chairs and a great view of the malacca river, flowing into the sea and a clear view of the church across the river. The room was great, it was by far the biggest hotel room we've had in all our years of staying in hotels.

Room 6 on 3rd floor has:

a tv but i totally didnt see it
a china tea set
private balcony facing the river with quiant table and chairs
big bathroom
a huge bed
fan and air condition

I requested their best room for my wedding night and we were given room 6 which is on the highest floor, the 3rd floor. mind you that they dont have elevators so you will have to climb up each time. well, what can i say. i fell in love with this place and would definitely come back next year

one thing which i wasn't really happy about was that the lady promised she would give us roses and candles free of charge but when she emailed me she listed these things with price list so i had to tell her to cancel it and just get the bucket of ice and wine glasses.

Room Tip: get the rooms facing the river to avoid noise from the street. you have to be quick because they are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SaltyBodiceRipper
WayfarerMelaka, Owner at Wayfarer Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

We regret there was a miscommunication over the roses and candles. However it has always been our nature to ensure our guest are happy and we went through some length to ensure you have a wine bucket of fresh ice for your romantic night. Thank you for your time to write this review and we hope you have a wonderful stay at our guesthouse.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this sweet guesthouse recently from 15 Nov - 17 Nov. We had a good stay as the guesthouse is located at strategy area, close to jonker walk and those famous tourist spots. It is also located along the river where you can have a good view at night time. The room is great as well as the water pump is fantastic. Decoration in ground floor make us feel like we are in our own home, clean, beautiful etc, can see how much effort they put into the house. Of course the host are super friendly and helpful! Thanks Lian and Wei Yi very much. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank heart_fish99

Thank you for your time taken to write this wonderful review. We like that you get this home sweet home feeling during your stay with us.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Stay for 1 night & 2day. The location are perfect. Can walk to jonker town, little Indian town & all the attraction near by. The room are so comfortable & clean. We took room number 6 it has a privat balcony. From the room we can see the river & the historical city. We love that we can just walked to all the happening spot.

The only thing that are a bit stress is the parking. Major stress. Plus, really hope they put a tv. I need tv. That'S why i rate 4 for overall of the hotel. Others, are excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank fizaar

Thank you for your review. Glad you like Room 6. Some guest enjoy the overall quiet and peace in the guesthouse and some may prefer a TV in their room. We have however taken note of your view.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My recent trip to Malacca was very enjoyable with our 10 friends. It was a wonderful 2 days trips especially we are staying in this little Wayfarer Guesthouse which are nice, cleans and cosy. It was rare that the Owner Mdm Len is mending the place with such good hospitality and giving good tips on the sumptuous food places during our short stay. The guesthouse was not too far away from Jonker street, especially after all the walking during our shopping spree, you won’t feel a chore to walk back to the guesthouse at all.

We all agree that Wayfarer Guesthouse should have a THUMP UP. All travelers don’t miss out this place whenever you visit Malacca. It’s friendly and nice place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MarvisW
WayfarerMelaka, Owner at Wayfarer Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you and appreciate the time you have taken to write this review . We have you to thank for - for giving us a wonderful and enjoyable time last weekend just hosting you and friends. We really love the company. Hope you can come again to venture into more areas and food experiences in historical Melaka.
Best wishes in all your undertaking and good health.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I absolutely enjoyed my stay in Malacca largely because of my stay in Wayfarer Guest House. Upon arrival the owners and staff immediately made me feel at home. It felt that I’m not just a guest but a friend that is staying for the weekend; from there on I know that I will have a great time in Malacca. As for the hotel itself, it exudes the look and feel of real Paranakan culture from the lobby to each individual room. The toilet is spotless clean with good running hot and cold water. The hotel location is near to all the famous spots that you need to visit in Malacca. Overall just a fantastic experience that I would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vic_gatch

Thank you for photos taken at Wayfarer Guest House. We like the one with the mahjong table from your perspective. Hope you will be able to stay with us again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

The guest house is beautifully designed in the old nyonya-baba style. The ground floor is a cozy common area for the guests to sit and relax. We stayed in room 6 (Artist Suite) for 6 nights. As there were 4 of us, I initially wanted the Trader's Suite. However, it was not available for the whole duration of our stay, so we ended up with the Artist Suite which has a king bed and plenty of space for 2 extra mattresses. The bed is very comfortable, even the extra mattress which looks very thin was comfortable! But the best thing about this room is the balcony. Sitting outside on the balcony with a beautiful river view for an afternoon tea/coffee and a chit chat is priceless. We love the balcony so much that we turned down the Trader's Suite when it became available.
I wish there's a TV in the room, though we didn't have much time to watch TV :)
The place is very clean and location is great - close to the famous Chung Wah Chicken Rice, the best Durian Chendol in Melaka and of course the Jonker's Walk. The owner Lian is also very friendly and helpful in recommending places to go/eat. With the special October rate, it's a good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank teerdi

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. Your family was wonderful and was like family to us as well. As we are quite new in the market, we are still monitoring the likes of our guest and will try as much as possible to provide facilities to their wishes and we have taken note of having TV in the room upon request as we wish also to maintain minimum noise levels among rooms.
Wish you, your sisters and Mum lots of good things to come.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I chanced upon this new guesthouse while surfing the net for a place to stay in Malacca. The website looked promising however with the lack of reviews from tripadvisor I had my reservation. However I'm so glad that I went along to book the rooms anyway.

Stayed here for two nights and booked both the Trader Suite and Superior Standard. The rooms were fabulous and location is extremely convenient however the booking process was not as smooth sailing in the beginning.

I tried paying the deposit of 50% via my credit card however after clicking the link, i was directed to PayPal log in page instead. I found this quite confusing as I do not have a paypal log in ID and for other guesthouse that uses this same payment method, it usually directs you to a page where log in is not required and you can proceed to key in credit card payment directly. In the end, I opt to bank in cash into Wayfarer's account instead to solve this matter. Perhaps Lian you could take a look at this or more guidance is required in the e mail communication.

Other than that, everything about the place is fantastic. The guesthouse is located in a 100 yr old restored shop house. I adored the deco that provided you with all the modern touches such as air conditioning, hot water shower , hair dryer and free Wi-Fi but still sticking to it's original built. It's definitely a different experience from your regular hotels and a great way for tourist to have a feel of Malacca in the olden days. My Bangkok travelling companions will definitely agree to this.

The owner, Lian was always helpful and even showed me around the guesthouse and allowed me to have a look at the rooms with the river view since it was not occupied. Anne was always so helpful, providing us with toilet roll/ water whenever we needed more and updating us on our taxi status (i.e when it is arriving).

The location of the guesthouse by the Malacca River is fantastic, through out the whole trip we could walk to almost all of the major tourist attraction (i.e. Jonker Street, A' Famosa, Stadthuys, temples).

This place definitely warrants a second visit, I can't really fault the place at this moment but even if I do it would be nitpicking.

Cheers Lian and team! Great job on the guesthouse! I will definitely be back!

P/S : Perhaps you might want to explore installing shower curtains in Room 2 bathrooms as the whole bathroom gets quite wet after a shower.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Veronica1984
WayfarerMelaka, Owner at Wayfarer Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you Veronica for your comments and suggestions.

We enjoy having you and your Thai counterparts as our guest.
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay here in Melaka. We will also put in place some of your suggestions.

We look forward to your next visit.