“Not what it used to be!”

The Neem@Banda Hilir
Ranked #53 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. Lovely room with a funky bathroom. It was also wonderful to have a pool at one’s door step and be able to swim anytime. Nice location and easy to walk to restaurants and the central tourist area .I liked the concept of 4 independent cottages – small and quite. Despite the good infrastructure of @Neem, I was however a little confused as to what it actually was . This is billed on Trip Advisor in the Specialty lodging. Yet rooms were not serviced for the entire time we were there. I have never had this experience in a specialty lodge or B&B establishment. Food - I would say is average. As a vegetarian they had accommodated my requirements by buying in. On the last morning we were there we waited an hour for breakfast as the young man who had to purchase it overslept. We should simply have skipped that breakfast – as not only was it an hour late it was not at all tasty. I expect it was bought it haste at the nearest shop - to just get it done. Previous mornings had been good and available on time. Given the accommodation available in Melaka , I would explore alternative accommodation should I ever go again. This establishment, whilst it has the basic structure , needs more than it is currently offering.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 192RoseM
Harold_Lim, IT Manager at The Neem@Banda Hilir, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your intuitive review. Here at the Neem, we accept all kinds of feedback especially if the comments were made in good faith and made fairly and justly. We would also like to personally thank you for your lavish praise for our chalets, layout, design, funky bathroom, personal swimming pool and superb location. We do stand out in Malacca town as not only are we a landed boutique accommodation with a personal swimming pool but the Neem also has a historical past as it was once the workers' quarters of Adriaan Koek who was one of the last Dutch acting governor of Malacca.
Having said all that we can't merely dwell on the past and towards this end we would like to sincerely apologize to this reviewer if her stay was far from perfect on these following accounts:

1) The reviewer was so enamoured with our chalet that she and her partner were constantly in it with all doors and windows shut. Our housekeeper was too embarrassed to request permission to do a turn down fearing that her intention would disrupt the privacy of this reviewer. It is however a policy at the Neem to do not only 1 but 2 turn downs in a day. If only the reviewer had as much as whispered, the turn down service would have been carried out happily by our housekeeper. Personally many a time i myself have requested for this service even in 5 or 6 star hotels.

2) To the best of our knowledge we tried our utmost best to cater to the reviewer' Vegetarian palate. Our manager went out of her way to offer her gourmet Chinese Vegetarian dishes but this was turned down as the reviewer mentioned that she had been eating Chinese food for the last couple of days and was sick of it. It was then suggested that we would source gourmet Indian vegetarian dishes which we did on the first two days and we actually blew our budget as we really wanted to please the reviewer. She herself concurred with this as her review did state that the breakfast on the first two days had been good. Interestingly our staff did not wake up late but actually had to walk further as our regular Vegetarian restaurant was randomly closed on the reviewer's last day with us. We had offered the reviewer home cooked Humus and oatmeal porridge instead but these were not accepted hence the delay on the last day.
Although not mentioned by the reviewer we also ensured for the 3 days the reviewer stayed with us we went out of our way to source the best desserts and Malaccan cakes for her afternoon tea.
In any event we still welcome the reviewer to the Neem to offer her our brand of Malacca hospitality and we wish to extend our sincerest apologies had we disappointed her in any way.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A group of 4 of us shared which made this place good value for money. Lovely room and bathroom. Friendly staff. The Mosquitos are quite bad here so take lots of repellant with you if you want to sit outside! The noise from the nearby bar kept friends awake and neighbors dogs woke me up several times which was a shame as these are things are out of their control. Breakfast ...would have been nice to have a choice rather than being given a plate of sausage and eggs, particularly as my friend was vegetarian! Also breakfast was served by the small pool which is a real sun trap and i was uncomfortably hot and sweaty by the time we had finished!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Harold_Lim, IT Manager at The Neem@Banda Hilir, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your kind review and sorry we had to charge you corkage for the 3 bottles of wine which you brought to The Neem. Actually we only started charging corkage since CNY 2013 after we stocked up on excellent Spanish wines to accompany our Tapas Promotion.

Anyway, RM 10 per bottle is quite reasonable bearing in mind we are a boutique accommodation. Apologies once again if we had startled you with the corkage charges.

We have installed 2 wall fans to cool the deck area but we usually advise against having breakfast at 10.30am in the morning especially on a bright sunny Malacca morning as was the case in this review.

All our rooms are 100% mosquito proof and we treat the rooms with natural citronella repellent. We have even stayed in all the chalets ourselves and attest to them being mosquito proof. Of course at dusk mosquitoes do roam the outdoor open spaces but even then we have citronella incense sticks placed around the deck for general guests comfort.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at the Ketapang House for 2 nights. The moment we walked in, we love the environment and the size of the room is huge. We love the concept and the bathroom is gorgeous.

Overall the place was cool, a simple yet relaxing place to get away from a busy city like KL.

The operator, Ms. Janet and brother was very cool in person and helpful. Thank you for the services provided :)

We will be back :)

The only one thing which is not so perfect is the signage to the place is a bit small, people would easily missed it. Management please look into it.

And due to the terrible hot weather, management might want to consider fixing more airconds in the room :)

Overall great holiday :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed in the Ketapang room which had a gorgeous bathroom and was beautifully decorated. The only negative thing I would say about the room is that one of the 'beds' is just a mattress on the floor , with no mosquito net. The other bed -a four poster with mosquito net- is divine. The staff are extremely helpful -we needed to leave early to catch a flight so we missed breakfast-but they organised for a little package containing warm croissants and dough nuts for us to take with us. They also walked us ( (as it was dark) to a great location to find places to eat. A great place with attentive staff. I would definitely visit again, although this time booking 2 chalets instead of the 4 bed one.

Room Tip: If travelling as a group of 3/4 adults I would suggest you book 2 chalets and not the 4bed one as so...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cara_Maccabee
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A lovely, exotic getaway! Certainly a new, must try experience for through-and-through city dwellers! I spent a night at The Neem with my boyfriend, which was strongly recommended by my friends, and I must say that they did the place no justice. I, on the other hand, will try my best to do so.

Firstly, the hosts! We were warmly welcomed by JK, Harold, Sean & Becky who made us feel at home immediately. We arrived in the morning, and were received by all of them. JK recommended a good place for us to have awesome chicken rice balls that was just a stone's throw away, and he reminded us to be home for tea, during which they served up some Portuguese specialties. They took the time to introduce us to the other guests and soon we were all chatting as if we had known each other forever. After dinner we even got together by the pool and had a merry time till the wee hours of the morning.

Secondly, location, location, location. Even if the pictures may delude born & bred Malaccans to think that it's located wayyy outside the city, it isn't. I walked to Jonker Street without even breaking a sweat. Which makes it ideal for people without cars. (let's face it, at times Malacca's congestion is almost as bad as KL's) It's also located near Christ Church, the A'Famosa Fort, and a handful of other attractions (and malls too!), so your time will be fully utilized - once you're done taking in the serenity of this idyllic bit of paradise. Also, I normally have a hard time surviving without wifi and checking my mail, but just being there warps your sense of time; I could have just sat out on the deckchairs by the pool soaking up the sunshine doing nothing - the place is that serene!

Thirdly, the gift shop. They sold authentic Malaysian handicraft - not those tacky kinds that say "Malaysia" in the front and "Made in China" at the back. I mean hand-crafted by Malaysian artists souvenirs! And since they were handmade, they were all fantastic one-of-a-kind gifts for loved ones back home - there were bags, jewelry, shoes, and an array of quaint little knickknacks that could make you nostalgic for this place!

Fourthly, the pool! Nice and refreshing after a long day of walking around - just remember to shower BEFORE you dive in. The trampoline looked awesome too, though I doubt my knees could take it. That and we were pretty much full with Malaccan fare or even snacks that they had provided the whole time we were there.

Room Tip: Kemboja has the most privacy, hands down. The hosts even called it the Honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanC321_123
Reviewed March 12, 2013

It was really a way from the city and notice. I had a great time of peace and nature being in this place. This ia a place to be for those who needs a break. Hospitality was good...love the care takers of the place. I felt very welcomed.I definitely will come back and have introduce to some of my friends as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kavita81
Reviewed February 18, 2013

+ve:
We stay at Ketapang room, the room very spacious and we love the deco. The bathroom also very nice. The host is very friendly and really makes us feel like home. On top of that, they have trampoline, we had fun playing there and also swimming. Even the place is near city, but it is very privacy and quiet. The buffet and high tea was good, even they serve Portugese kuih. Certainly is a great place to unwind, even during we enjoy our breakfast we can see bird flying and actually eating the mango on the tree. The location also near to city.

-ve: Upon arrival, we quite lost finding the place since the signboard very small. Maybe will be more great if they provide wifi. Also the lobby deco is very simple, maybe can improve on that.

But overall, its a great place to relax and chilled. We totally enjoy our vacation on Malacca.. :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family