“Perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed at.”

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #2 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Brisbane, Australia
“Perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed at.”
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We only stayed one night and were delighted to be there, it is a beautifully appointed property, it must be the best in the region, it is reflected in the relative price to other hotels in the area, however for the discerning traveller it is money well spent. Extremely friendly and helpful staff were beautifully attired with the ladies in the traditional Nonya Kebaya’s. The 10 story tower of accommodation is quite new and the rooms are just like the photos on the web site, with fantastic furniture, open plan rooms, wonderful claw bath and separate shower. There is a fantastic looking pool and there is a Spa for those who like resort like facilities with a complimentary neck and shoulder massage.

The rest of the common areas area in a common area in front of the tower, right on the Malacca river. I do not think that the staff could have been more helpful, the Assistant Manager Mr Sing introduced himself and assisted with an extended check out without hesitation.

I travel very extensively (mainly for work) and I could not believe how good the service and the property was. Despite Malacca’s reputation for great food out and about, we dined in the restaurant and enjoyed a very good breakfast and dinner. Given that Malacca is a eclectic mix of experiences, the Majestic does stand out as a luxurious experience in the historic bustling area which is a little rough around the edges, however well worth experiencing. It was a return visit for me after spending an afternoon/evening last year while staying in KL.

Internet was complimentary

We would very happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Buggalugs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The best hotel in Melaka, but you pay for it. Excellent service, kudos to Ben & his team.
Location is not great - views are pretty blah. Stayed one night in Nov 2010.
The GPS gives wrong directions. The hotel is located right next to the Putra Hospital.
It's a 10-15 walk to downtown Jonkers Street.

The two connecting rooms we got were clean, well-appointed. Aircon in one room was great, but only adequate in the second room. The bathrooms were excellent, with both hand and rain showers working well.

The beds and linen were excellent. I found the blanket TOO warm for my liking (too warm under, too cold over) but still, I had a good night's sleep.

Noise transmits too easily thru the connecting door.... not only conversation, but also the sliding bathroom doors, TV... etc. Can be a bit annoying.

No wifi in rooms, but they offer complimentary wired broadband internet connection.

Didnt eat in the hotel restaurant, but took a look at the breakfast spread one morning.
It looked pathetic considering the hotel's excellence everywhere else, and especially considering the asking price (I believe it was about US$24 per pax). We went outside the hotel for some excellent local food instead.

All in all, a very comfortable and satisfactory stay. Will definitely stay there again.
Highly recommended, despite the price, the so-so location and dreadful breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This is the first time I am staying in this hotel which was arranged by my client. I have my expectations set rather high as this is a 6 star hotel.

Upon arrival, my colleagues and I were greeted by the warm receptionist and team manager who will be assisting us with our stay and event arrangement(s). The level of service is excellent which definitely left a positive impression.

This hotel has adopted the peranakan concept in hotel design and furnishing. General female staff are all dressed in the traditional kebaya. All these elements created a very relaxing place filled with the peranakan culture.

We were then escorted by one the hotel staff to our room located in another building which we need to pass by the reasonable sized swimming pool and gym. When we first opened the room door, all i can say was Wow! The furnishings are beautiful. There was a unique looking shape bath tub next to one of the beds. We were provided with a gift box which contained a pot of hot tea. The basic amenities were great. The shampoo and shower gel were fragrant and of very high quality. The only complain I had was, the beds were just simply too small to my liking. Though the sleep quality was not very much compromised, it would have been great if the bed was larger or even a queen size bed would have been better.

On the actual day of the event, the hotel events team certainly did a good job in helping us with the logistic issues. They were professional and all have showed genuine smiles which is an added plus for service. The food were very good for all the tea breaks, alacarte breakfast and lunch.

On a whole, the feedback we have received from the participants were, the event place is very nice but a bit small for social gathering due to a larger group size. The beds were too small.

To summarize: This hotel would have been perfect if only there is more space for the event venue and of course larger beds in the rooms. The level of service is definitely excellent. Food was great.

Thank you for a job well done!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank benakm
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I initially booked 1 night in this hotel, but extended for another night because I liked it so much! After having stayed in many luxury hotel all over the world, I just can not find anything wrong with this one and that coming from me is very rare! The hotel is, for a lack of a better word, PERFECT!

** 5-Stars, Member of 'Small Luxury Hotels Of The World' and managed by the YTL Group.
** Location is unbeatable, just minutes away from everything and within walking distance
** Staff is super attentive and very well trained. Every little thing is being handled with utmost courtesy and professionalism, from check-in with wet towels to greet you, to express-check-out. You want to sleep in? You will not be bothered in any way until you decide to get up at your own pace, very nice! The little things that make a huge difference: I had to change my bus ticket and Mr. Bill Lim from reception took care of everything personally, next morning I had a new ticket in an envelope, ready to go. Thank You! I was also granted an early check-in and check-out, which I really appreciated a lot!
** The hotel is very well appointed, a mix of the old colonial style with the modern new. Very quiet and tastefully decorated, it is like a little Raffles Hotel.
**THE BED IS HEAVEN!!! The linens and pillows are so comfortable, you feel like you slip into a cool cloud, I slept like a baby!! I liked it so much, I asked to purchase the linens from the hotel for my own house.
** The bathroom has a stand-alone Victorian bathtub and is a super relaxing treat after a day of sightseeing. The shower has rainfall and regular options, it is a dream, everything is super clean and modern.
** COMPLIMENTARY HIGH SPEED INTERNET in every room, how good is this!
** Flat-screen LCD TV, DVD player, mini-bar with complementary water bottles every day, plus free coffee & tea facilities. Very quick and perfect dry-cleaning / laundry, for very reasonable price.
** Food is excellent, even though you could eat slightly more thrifty anywhere outside the hotel, I do recommend the food in every way in the hotel! Great chefs prepare a culinary dish with exotic spices and local favorites, yummy! Chefs and staff come out and ask for as well as provide feedback on the food and your liking.
Afternoon tea is also a very tastefully presented English tradition served in the hotel, you can sit in the colonial mansion's library and enjoy a variety of superb teas and light snacks. To top it off, there is also a neat little bar right next to it. It is an all-over relaxing atmosphere and you can really re-charge your batteries. Free Neck & Shoulder massage also provided for every guest at the immaculate in-house Spa. There is also a well-equipped gym and a cute little pool.
** FREE HISTORIC TOUR offered by the hotel for guests, which is a 2hr guided tour throughout major attractions in Malacca, highly recommended, offered twice a day.

All-in-all, I am very impressed with this little gem of Malacca and will surely return. A big thank you to the staff and management to make my stay so memorable!

Recommendations to do in the city: Try the Zheng He Tea House on Jalan Tukang Besi, the owner Pak and her staff prepare a traditional Chinese tea ceremony with background information and for only RM20.00 you can choose from a variety of delicious teas. I had a great chat with them about all sorts of things and ended up staying for 2hrs! They even gave me a lift back to the hotel. The people in Malacca are really extremely friendly and helpful, you feel so relaxed and at ease, it is fantastic! The food is great and inexpensive everywhere, loads of history and places to discover, walking through a huuuge shophouse full of antiques is a treat! The museums are great and fees are very low.

You can book your rooms for the Majestic either through the hotel direct, or through Small Luxury Hotels Of The World, if you are a member, or, for longer stays even through www.agoda.com for an extra special price.

I enjoyed my stay very very much and hope you will also have the opportunity to enjoy this true gem of Malacca soon!

5 ***** +++ Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank PoloRLX
singapore
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Almost certainly the best hotel in Malacca. And Impressive service recovery on a couple of occasions. Dont expect fab views from the rooms.

Small boutique hotel with about 46 odd rooms and a handful of suites. Don't trust the GPS/google map - it gives the hotel location at the wrong and opposite end of a one way street.

Some room gremlins: air con not working well (room temp 28 deg C); fridge was good at keeping contents at room temperature; shower contrived to simultaneously drip cold water from rain shower above whilst dispensing warm water from hand held shower head. Hotel managed to rectify those issues within the first day.

The BEST part of the experience had to be the bed linen, mattress and pillows - they are to die for. I pulled the bed apart to get the suppliers name. northernasiafeather.com . In Singapore. Have already ordered some for the house.

The connecting room sound proofing isn't up to much: I couldn't fail to hear the non stop natter from my room neighbors. Fortunately (for me and them) I dont speak a word of Chinese....

No room wireless - you have to head down to the reception for that. Intermittent signal strength and sometimes none at all.

Oddly no formal room service, but if you ask nicely they will provide a restaurant menu and let you order from that. When the wrong food was supplied on one occasion, all charges were waived. Overall, good quality food. The bar prices may make you weep however: RM20 for a beer. Head down the street to the Discovery bar for a cheaper ale.

Very attentive staff.

Probably not a place for the kids and family, but as a couple get away, near perfect.

PS If you have fair skin, don't go running at lunchtime in a singlet, unless you want to look like a gweiloh on their first trip abroad to the tropics. The noon day sun will turn you red in the blink of an eye. Trust me on that one...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

our stay was just great! As soon as we arrived we were welcomed by the hotel manager, Mr Ben and the Guest Relations Manager, Mr Lim. They have done everything to make our stay unforgettable. We were send to the best restaurants in town and got all the tips we needed to make the most of our two day stay.
Best of all is that because of the managers of this hotel we got very warm welcomes in the other two hotels of the YTL chain as they had made phonecalls before our arrival to make sure we would get good rooms and that they would look after us well.....and they sure did!
So, everybody in Majestic, thank you very much!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
penang
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I just come back from Melaka. Wow..I can't wait to share my excellent experience with you all. At first we did not know where is the location of Majestic Hotel, I called up to the hotel and ask for help. Mandy answered my call and use the her professionalism way to direct me to the hotel(excellent!). She knows how many traffic lights will I meet. Wow! Once we arrived and parked our car, the porter immediately take out luggages and checked us in. We get escorted to our lovely room and served us a pot of lovely chinese tea. The open concept bathroom and bedroom is a perfect match design. But, the review from TA is true! The wall is quite thin and we have 2 rooms. Think positive way, we no need to use phone to contact each other. Just talk, and our friend besides my room will answer! Haha! Swimming pool is small. But lovely feeling, just felt like is a private pool for us. Lobby is the best! Cozy environment, with super friend front office officer! Their hospitality and professionalism is EXCELLENT! Lobby with lot of choices of local snacks is just like buffet counter. Location of the hotel is just at the center of the town. Walking distance to everywhere. I would like to thanks, Ben, Mandy, Vije, Lim and many many of Majestic Hotel staffs. You are the best!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends