“Civilized and Refined. Almost certainly the best hotel in Malacca.”

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #4 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Almost certainly the best hotel in Malacca. And Impressive service recovery on a couple of occasions. Dont expect fab views from the rooms.

Small boutique hotel with about 46 odd rooms and a handful of suites. Don't trust the GPS/google map - it gives the hotel location at the wrong and opposite end of a one way street.

Some room gremlins: air con not working well (room temp 28 deg C); fridge was good at keeping contents at room temperature; shower contrived to simultaneously drip cold water from rain shower above whilst dispensing warm water from hand held shower head. Hotel managed to rectify those issues within the first day.

The BEST part of the experience had to be the bed linen, mattress and pillows - they are to die for. I pulled the bed apart to get the suppliers name. northernasiafeather.com . In Singapore. Have already ordered some for the house.

The connecting room sound proofing isn't up to much: I couldn't fail to hear the non stop natter from my room neighbors. Fortunately (for me and them) I dont speak a word of Chinese....

No room wireless - you have to head down to the reception for that. Intermittent signal strength and sometimes none at all.

Oddly no formal room service, but if you ask nicely they will provide a restaurant menu and let you order from that. When the wrong food was supplied on one occasion, all charges were waived. Overall, good quality food. The bar prices may make you weep however: RM20 for a beer. Head down the street to the Discovery bar for a cheaper ale.

Very attentive staff.

Probably not a place for the kids and family, but as a couple get away, near perfect.

PS If you have fair skin, don't go running at lunchtime in a singlet, unless you want to look like a gweiloh on their first trip abroad to the tropics. The noon day sun will turn you red in the blink of an eye. Trust me on that one...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed October 11, 2010

our stay was just great! As soon as we arrived we were welcomed by the hotel manager, Mr Ben and the Guest Relations Manager, Mr Lim. They have done everything to make our stay unforgettable. We were send to the best restaurants in town and got all the tips we needed to make the most of our two day stay.
Best of all is that because of the managers of this hotel we got very warm welcomes in the other two hotels of the YTL chain as they had made phonecalls before our arrival to make sure we would get good rooms and that they would look after us well.....and they sure did!
So, everybody in Majestic, thank you very much!!!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I just come back from Melaka. Wow..I can't wait to share my excellent experience with you all. At first we did not know where is the location of Majestic Hotel, I called up to the hotel and ask for help. Mandy answered my call and use the her professionalism way to direct me to the hotel(excellent!). She knows how many traffic lights will I meet. Wow! Once we arrived and parked our car, the porter immediately take out luggages and checked us in. We get escorted to our lovely room and served us a pot of lovely chinese tea. The open concept bathroom and bedroom is a perfect match design. But, the review from TA is true! The wall is quite thin and we have 2 rooms. Think positive way, we no need to use phone to contact each other. Just talk, and our friend besides my room will answer! Haha! Swimming pool is small. But lovely feeling, just felt like is a private pool for us. Lobby is the best! Cozy environment, with super friend front office officer! Their hospitality and professionalism is EXCELLENT! Lobby with lot of choices of local snacks is just like buffet counter. Location of the hotel is just at the center of the town. Walking distance to everywhere. I would like to thanks, Ben, Mandy, Vije, Lim and many many of Majestic Hotel staffs. You are the best!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Staying for only 1 night..was abit surprice when drive in to the porch area..the first impression for me is:the hotel so small..??but when u enter the building..i know that i am wrong..this old heritage building is link to a high rise that behind it..Nice & spaces colonial suite.Pool & gym is small but sufficeint enough,,i am not visiting melaka for swimming or gym.Everything was look great.nothing to complaint about.probably jz a advise.the management can put some effort on public area part.cos i notice that few of their hanging lamp is full of cobweb.this is only a small and tiny issue.We will be back Majestic Hotel..Thanks for your hospitality..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is a lovely colonial style hotel that has been tastefully restored by YTL. The lobby, bar area, library, lounge and restaurant are all located in the old building with the pool, spa, gym and rooms in the adjourning new part of the hotel.
The lobby area has lovely colonial style furniture and large jars of sweets dotted around for guests to indulge in. Some of the sweets I have not seen since my childhood!
The check in and reception from the hotel manager and staff were exceptional. The welcome tea that was served in our room was also a lovely touch.
The rooms are vary spacious with an open style bathroom which can be screened off for privacy. There is a large free standing bath, although not enamel still a welcome treat.
The hotel has a small open air lap pool and a well appointed gym. The spa is also worth trying.
The hotel also organises twice daily a free two hour walking tour of Melaka. I would thoroughly recommend this (do in the evening when it is cooler). The tour guide offers so much knowledge not just on the history of this city but also the fauna and flora.
I found the location of the hotel ideal and not far from the main "drag" approx 10 minutes walk. If this is too much a taxi or tricycle are available.
Do visit Jenker street over the weekend as it comes a live with street sellers which is a popular haunt for the locals. Heaven street with all the various temples is worth visiting too.
The standard of food offered at the restaurant is fantastic from the choice to the quality. All food is cooked to order.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My partner and i drove up to Meleka from singapore last weekend and had a great time at The Majestic.

Check in was smooth and we were brought up to our room 902 by a lovely lady who brought along a nice pot of chinese tea. The hotel has got a real colonial feel to it and all around the first floor they have complimentary local snacks placed strategically. It is a very nice gesture we thought. =)

The room was spacious, well appointed and clean. Our room looks out to the river, which is a nice change, the toilet has got black and white tiles, tacky bath tub (too small for two pple), wooden floor and nice comfortable bed/pillows! I have been to many hotels that provide guest with two pillows and two towels, so i was pleasantly surprised when i see 4 towels and pillows. Saves us the trouble of asking!

Hotel staff are all polite and helpful. we would like to compliment Bill for making our dinner reservations at Nancy's kitchen. He asked the restaurant to wait for us (for last order) whilst we made our way to the restaurant! We were impressed by the level of service. Breakfast was simple but adequate, no complains.

In short, The Majestic is a hotel with character, high level of service and it is worth every penny! Definitely worth revisiting.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I have been working in Kemaman,Malaysia for more than a year. Thought of spending our summer holidays visiting Malaysia inside out instead of flying back to France as we do usually. We had planned to spend 2 nights in Melaka and chose the Majestic after reviewing all the hotels on the net. It was more expensive than the others, but worth it. Every client is a guest and treated as such. I have been travelling a lot over the last 30 years , always a pleasure to discover such places. Reccomend to book on line as it will be twice as cheap as if you were calling the hotel directly. Last but not the least, some guy on a motorcycle coming from the opposite direction tried to snatch my bag pack after only 10 minutes walking on the street. Everything happened so quickly. I resisted luckily as I had all my wallet, camera,etc..The guys consequently felt on the floor with his bike but managed to run away before I had a chance to beat him up. This occured in front of many people walking by . I was aware of KL being famous for snatching bags, no one had told us about it in Melaka, so be aware and walk with the minimum while shopping. Despite this incident, had a great time, walking, boating,shopping and eating

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple