“Great discovery”

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #2 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I guess no other hotel in Malacca can live up to this standard. Service is good, room interior is grand, great afternoon tea, but local cuisine in the restaurant still need some polishing (good but not superb). You will love it here once you stepped in and the aroma of fresh flowers all over the lobby. And the turn down service was excellent, trust me...it's like if you have any special request just write it on a note to them and they will try to fulfill your request. This is the hotel that makes me sign up to become a member of Small Luxury Hotel. My wife and I will definitely remember the good memories we had here in this boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet romantic room if you are traveling as a couple on honeymoon or just to relinquish yo...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Danish H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed November 8, 2011

This boutique hotel style is one of the best I ever encountered so far. YTL Hotels never seem to disappoint its guest and have live up to its expectations.The preservation of the unique bungalow from the 60's at the front of the hotel entrance is truly breathtaking. I have stayed in this hotel twice so far and keep wanting to come back whenever I decided to take a break from the hectic lion city. The room is simply amazing with its truly preserved royal peranakan style. The 'open concept' toilet is a brilliant idea and you can just enjoy a dip in the bath tub while watching TV. One of the many surprises is that the hotel guests will be served with a traditional peranakan 'kuih' in the evening which is of outstanding quality. Breakfast is simply unique as they prepare for you based on the menu on the table which means your food is always fresh and of course it is buffet style (order as much as you can eat". All in all, I would recommend to all if you want to experience something different from the other conventional hotels, you have to definitely try Majestic once. It keeps getting better and better. Kudos to YTL!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Lived up to the reviews on trip advisor. We arrived 3 hours before our check in time, but our interconnecting rooms were ready and the check in process was the speediest I have ever experienced. The staff couldnt have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. We were escorted to our rooms and served chinese tea in the room which was a lovely touch. The rooms a spaciuos and elegantly furnished with a babanonya feel to them. The bathroom is a screened off area of the room with a large claw foot bath - our boys though it was splendid fun to be able to lie in hte bath and watch TV at the same time! The rooms had a view of the river - although not the most picturesque view we have ever had, nonethe less pleasant. The hotel pool is small, but OK for a cooling dip after a days sight seeing. The walk into the old bit of town takes 15-20 minutes along the river and is an intersting walk. We didnt eat a main meal inthe hotel, but the afternoon tea was magnificiant and breakfast was perfectly adequate. We will definately stop here again next time we visit melaka.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Warm welcome by service staff, who are helpful and responsible. Guest services is extremely helpful and polite. I would go there again for sure!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Enough has been covered on this charming hotel so I won't rattle on. Here are some tips to help make your stay more enjoyable:

1) bring poo drops: As the toilet is "open concept" with shuttered sliding doors instead of a proper door, I would advise you to bring poo drops to avoid any embarassing smell-related situations. Of course you can't avoid the other person hearing any noises that you make inside the toilet.

2) bring your own router to get wifi in room: There is free wifi in the lobby area only.
In the room, there is only wired ethernet (free) internet access. If you will die without internet, bring your own router.

3) Drive: Although you can technically walk about 15-20min to Jonker Street area, do take into account the humid and sunny weather, non-existent pavements and reckless motorists zipping past you on narrow lanes. Hotel parking area (non-sheltered) is free and spacious, located at the back entrance of the hotel. There is a security guard.

4) Bring ear plugs: ask for a room further away from the elevator as the doors are thin and you can hear people chatting & laughing as they walk to the elevator. also the wooden floors transmit a lot of noise - i swear my upstairs neighbor was playing with marbles all day (rolling sounds on the ceiling). Didn't bother me the least (I'm a real heavy sleeper) but you should bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Overall, a really nice hotel for a special occasion. Really loved the claw foot bath, rain shower, and four poster bed. Great service too. But if you are like us (young couple) you will probably prefer staying nearer Jonker Street at one-third the price with wifi throughout the hotel ;P

Room Tip: better if you drive, bring your own router to get wifi in room, bring poo drops
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeyondBanalityBlog
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My daughter and I visited Melaka as part of our holiday to Malaysia.
We had the pleasure to stay at the Majestic. We were greeted by Eugine who checked us in and greeted us with welcoming smile and tea nestles in a beautiful basket. After check in we were led through an impecable lobby to our room. All the way through staff nodded appreciations and greetings. When Eugene opened the door our jaws just dropped. The room was just beautiful, tastefully decorated with picture windows with a fabulous view over the Melaka river and village; Venice immediately to mind. The open plan bathroom looked like it had been designed for a movie set. It boasted one of the deepest and largest roll top baths that I have seen. Every detail and trimming had been thought of to make this room perfect and it worked.
The staff at the Majestic were just brilliant, helpful and certainly made our stay perfect, no request was too much. My daughter and I ordered afternoon tea in the library, the presentation and the starched napkins could have given Claridges in London competition.
I can not fault any part of my stay at the Majestic and would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Request the room overlooking the river, it is just superb view at night
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travellerjamUk
Reviewed October 20, 2011

After reading the many wonderful reviews, I decided this is the place to celebrate my birthday & to truely discover for myself how thus historic mansion can be so charming. For the record, it was near Jonker, next to the malacca river but it was a haven by itself! From the facade of this mansion to the lobby, we were totally transported back to the colonial history of malacca or Melaka! There were many ancient photos framed lovingly and strategically positioned within the lobby, drawing room & the cosy Peranakan library. Once inside, you feel as if u have stepped into someone's home with a touch of class. The rooms were unbelievable! Not to mention the club foot bath tub that feels so anciently royal. U feel like a Queen in that tub. I love the tea ceremony with a Peranakan teapot that was served as soon as we were shown into our room. Simply adorable. The bed was comfortable. The stay was made better with the little things such as jars of old-time tidbits for yours to takeaway with on your way in or out of the lobby. Dud I mentioned abt the whole chocolate cake given complimentary for my birthday as well as birthday decor on my bed. Check out? No need to check out as I juz need to return the hotel card as I walk out. Really, royal Peranakan stay that is truly out of the world. Do come here for a truly Malaccan stay & you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2011