“Very, very relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Paris, France
“Very, very relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Great value for money. The most relaxed i've been for a long, long time. please do come. It's a little out of town but it's better for it in my opinion.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RachelDareBryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for just one night on a whirlwind trip to Malacca in June 2011. We booked the Majestic following a glowing review from friends who had recently stayed there too. And we were not disappointed! The majestic is a fantastic hotel, a real gem, especially for the price. It really feels like the main building has history to it and it has a such a colonial feel. The furniture is beautiful and timeless and the staff are so friendly and polite, never too busy to wish us good morning or good evening.

Our room, a deluxe room, was stunning complete with a four poster bed! The bathroom for me was extra special with a roll top bath and a very cute little parcel of bath salts waiting. We were served complimentary green tea in our room on arrival which we felt was a lovely touch. There was also a comprehensive information pack about the hotel and Malacca although the staff were very knowledgeable when we asked for advice on where to go, where to eat etc.

Location wise you may feel it is a little out of town when you first arrive. However, don't be put off, it is actually only a 5-10 minute walk into the center of town and if you go along the river, it is a very pretty walk, especially at night. (and it feels very safe!) A definite must for a trip to Malacca and fantastic value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth B
kuala lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on 16th July 2011, room 907. We were most impressed with the hotel - the deco, excellent services by the front desk and the spa employee, that after a few hours being in the 5star environment, we decided to extend our stay and booked the spa treatment for couples worth rm1000.

The next morning, i went for breakfast with my son at their "mansion". We were so looking forward to the continuation of an excellent service and ...it really turned out to be a nightmare, for us.

I am a frequent traveler and rely heavily on tripadvisor for hotel review. although i must add here that my grievances were attended to in the most professional manner by the nice manager, i feel compelled to write so that other travelers who wish to stay in this hotel especially the locals (esp Malay patrons) will know what to expect, places to avoid in the hotel!.

As I've mentioned, things started to go wrong during breakfast. Breakfast was at the "mansion', in a rather small room. As in other hotels, breakfast was hectic. We made our way to a table after waiting for a while. A couple of minutes later, we were attended to by a female waitress. She set the table (minus the glasses) and took our order. Firstly, i have to mention that only 'cold' items were free, if you had wanted to order hot items, you'll need to pay rm70++per pax, which for the locals, is absolutely expensive. On the table, there is a menu and a small signage saying "tea/coffee etc will be served to you". We decided to order the hot item, porridge and meehoon goreng.

The food came, we asked for our drinks but nothing happened -we then asked for some glasses were asked to wait. Meanwhile, we see the mostly 'mat salleh' or overseas patron and even some Chinese patrons (probably Malaysians) were attended to in a most respected manner i.e their glasses were filled with fruit juices, tea/coffee were served. i told my son to ask for some glasses, and were given a glass at last. I helped myself to the orange juice at the counter, but since there was no coffee at the counter (they were in the hands of the f&b manager who were busy pouring the coffee to other patrons), i had to ask twice again for my coffee from both the waiter and waitress. I told my son since i am paying a huge amount of money for my breakfast, i am not leaving without my coffee

I waited and waited for my much needed coffee, and although there were only about six of us in the room and breakfast time was almost over, my request for coffee was ignored. I asked for my coffee again from the male waiter. He made a wait gesture and started cleaning the table next to mine, and that was my last straw!

I walked out, complained to the f&b manager and basically told him how i felt. My feeling then was that i was experiencing 'racism' by my fellow Malaysians!! i also gave him my room number and insisted for a discount (my husband later told me that breakfast was not charged at all). We decided to cut short our stay and cancelled the spa treatment (which was indeed something i truly regret as i was so looking forward to it)

If the Management is reading this, here's my one cent worth of advise. 1) please treat all patrons equally. In fact, you should serve the locals better considering they are paying more if compared to overseas client (room rm600++, spa rm1000 for two, breakfast rm70++) etc and net amount is equivalent to an average man's monthly salary (or more) in Malaysia just to stay in your hotel. 2) please throw out the sign 'coffee/tea will be served to your table' because you do not have the manpower with only 3-5 staff attending to the breakfast venue which can sit about 40 at one time. 3) make sure there's always a coffee pot on the counter and juices are refilled because some patrons like me don't really mind helping ourselves. 4) make sure drinks are served first, before you take the orders of hot menu and always remember 'to serve the lady her morning coffee' ;-) and lastly, you probably may want to consider bringing in a new f&b manager and team because from my reading of the hotel's review- all negative comments comes from the restaurant!! (minus the cook, of course)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank missnor
MajesticMalacca, General Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Puan,

It is with great embarrassment that I read of your recent experience with us and I
sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to your good self and family. Guest
feedbacks are invaluable to us and I have noted on yours and am taking immediate
corrective measures including retraining to improve on our service and meeting guest
expectations. Once again, thank you for your feedbacks.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Fantastic hotel. Seriously good service. Rooms are to die for. Even the entry level "deluxe" is just beautiful. Pool is small but that's not a problem. My wife went to the spa and raved about it. Compared to the 4/5 star hotels I've stayed in in the uk this beats them hands down. No question. And not actually that pricey in the grand scheme of things. Yes it's a bit more expensive than others - but truly worth it. The general manager Ben is also excellent. Could not do enough for us. Stay here!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

We just loved this hotel. My husband said he wanted to live there forever. The staff are exceptional and nothing was too much trouble for them, including getting some shopping for us. It is not a huge hotel and that is part of its charm. The breakfast is delicious and the marmalade and jam the best I have eve tasted. It is all made in the Cameron Highlands especially for the hotel. After admiring this I was given some to take home which was very generous. We sincerely can't wait to return to this hotel and Melaka which is a very interesting place to visit and the Nonya restaurants a real treat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights after a drive from Singapore. First thoughts were impressive with nice spacious rooms and nice bathrooms. However, when we got to dinner, the menu looked nice but the service was a bit slow and the Christmas songs they were playing at the time were depressing.
Also, breakfast was disappointing with not much choice. However the spa looked very nice (I didn't go myself) and the pool and gym were very nice as well. So overall the hotel is very nice but it still could be better.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

I came to Malacca for a friends, fathers birthday party and she booked me into The Majestic. This was my first trip to Malacca but not to Malaysia and so I didn't quite know what to expect.

This hotel is divine. Part of the SLH group. It is steeped in colonial history. Day beds, wicker furniture, ceiling fans (and air con of course), four poster beds and claw footed baths.

The restaurant is lovely, serving delicious Nyonya as well as international cuisine. Go Nyonya I say - it was delicious - you have to love a place that serves you fresh chilli as a breakfast accompaniment! For those of you disinclined to the spicy, don't worry, cornflakes, toast, pastries and eggs are also available.

There is a lovely pool and spa which looks lovely (although regrettably I didn't have time to try it).

Free wi fi. Thank you!

But the best part of this hotel, was the service. From Bill the Guest Relations Manager to the room cleaning staff, the smiles were genuine, warm and open and reminded me why I choose to live in the Asia Pacific. Most European and North American hotels should look and learn.

If you are in Malacca, I highly recommend this hotel and if I return, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo