“I will definitely stay here when I visit Malacca again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Majestic Malacca

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #2 of 161 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“I will definitely stay here when I visit Malacca again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I booked a stay at the Majestic Hotel as a mini luxury trip for my partner and myself. I must say it's totally worth it! It is an exquisite charming luxury hotel.

First Impression Counts:
Lovely smell of fresh lilies hit you when you entered the hotel lobby. We were greeted promptly, and given fresh cold towels to freshen up. Every lady at the front reception was dressed in the traditional nonya kerbaya and they really looked so pretty. The men were dressed in ivory uniform and looked very smart indeed. Gavin, our friendly guest officer show us around the hotel and brought us up our room 503. I must say for someone who is not a native English speaker, he spoke really clear English. It says a lot about the amount of training the hotel must have put into their staff. He prepared some chinese tea in a cute little teapot for us before he left, after introducing to us every part of the room.

The Room:
The deluxe room was astoundingly beautiful and comfortable! I could not find a single fault with it. The bed was comfortable with good linen. I loved the mini bolster with the embossed majestic hotel logo so much I had to purchase it before I left. As I lay on the daybed, I was amazed at how comfortable the material felt against my skin. The designer has put a lot of thoughts when they did the room from the layout of the room right down to the colors/material of the furniture. Everything is just made to ensure the visitors have a wondeful experience at the hotel. They have thoughtfully added a postcard of the old majestic hotel for visitors who wanted to see how it was before the restoration.

The Bathroom:
Ah.. the highlight as I booked the hotel was....the Bathroom. I adore the design of the bathroom with the movable doors which adds to the spacious feeling of the room. The claw-feet designed bath-tub was heavenly. Daily bath-salt supply ensures I utilise it every night. It fills up very fast. Top-notch functionality matches the vintage design! The shower area had a rain-fall shower from the ceiling and it's nice touch.

The View:
The view from my 5th level room was facing the Kampung Morten who seem to sit on the island of its own (120 families lived there). At night when the houses lit up, the view was so pretty. In the far, you could see the ferris wheel so the night feel was pretty. On the flipside, you can see the rather shabby state of the rows of shophouses on the left handside of the hotel. There's also a hospital on the right side of the hotel so unless you are an exhibitist, it's best to draw the curtains during daytime.

The Facilities:
I did not us the pool as it was alittle small and is only 1.36m deep but I did peeped into the gym. Wow! If I knew it's that's good, I would have brought my running gear to work off some of the good food I had at Jonker Street. Towels and mineral water are provided to ensure a comfortable workout.

Treats:
Attention to details stands out: the staff deliveres daily afternoon snack our room in a little red/black basket and it was a nice gesture by the hotel to introduce visitors to nonya cusine. Little snacks placed big glass containers around the hotel lobby/library encourages visitors to linger around longer. I liked the little bisuits with sugary top and my boyfriend liked the almond biscuits in the Library. I spent some time at the Library while waiting for the coach and read the book. "Spa Village" by Kim Inglis. A little placard on thr right side of the bed recommended this book. Apparently, the Spa Village at the hotel is featured as one of the best in malaysia. I wish I known earlier but it's on my last day in malacca. On the side corner of the spa village, there's this little corner which displays the type of ingredients that goes into the spa. My boyfriend and I took some interest to look at the display everytime we pass that corner. Today, it's cucumber, lime, lemongrass, ginger, etc and there's a little card to explain the function of each ingredients. This display is highly educational and I'm really appreciative of that. I have been to spa in Bintan and Bali but no one actually does that. Most spa places just show you the final product which is some grounded up paste.

The Breakfast
When I booked the stay through agoda.com, I delibrate over getting breakfast or not. We decided to try. Breakfast was served between 7-10.30am. The first day, we arrived at 10am only to find the restaurant on the 2nd floor empty and dark. A little taken aback, we approach the front desk for help. Apparently. the last order for breakfast stopped at 10am. One of the guest officer served us personally our breakfast which made up for it. The cold items are a selection of yoghurt, 2 choices of cereals, variety of bread, fruits and fruit-juice (fresh & no sugar added). The hot items can be ordered off a menu. I had the scrambled egg and salmon served with sausage, bacon and tomato (bacon look suspiciously like bak kwa), and waffles (actually more like soft pancakes) My partner had the murtabak on the 2nd morning and it was great, more authentic food! I suspect the restaurant excels in traditional food than western food. Overall, I find the breakfast experience lacking the 5-star quality. In my humble opinion, it's not too much valued-added, except for the ambience. I saw a business meeting taking place in the restaurant. In Malacca, it's really easy to find good food in most coffeeshops so food options are everywhere. On the otherhand, I did not try their lunch/dinner set but the food smell from the kitchen is lovely.

The Heritage Walk - the Highlight
I made a second trip to Malacca in less than a year because being typical SIngaporeans, the main aim here is to "makan" affordable and good peranakan food. My last trip was simply a food trip and I wish to get to know the cultural side of Malacca that I did not get to experience. I joined the heritage walk by accident as it was briefly mentioned in the confirmation email but we did not know it's complimentary. We got introduced to Donovan, our guide and Malacca-expert and we started from the hotel at 5pm sharp. Donovan took us up the boardwalk opposite the hotel and started us on the eco-system of the mangrove, down to the type of shophouses, to the history of the Dutch, Portuguese and Peranakans. He's really the expert on Malacca history here and it turns out he was born here. Some of the streets he recommneded us to visit turns out to be eye-opener. We visited a Blacksmith street as well as the indigo-colored street which the "Little Nonya" was filmed. Most interesting was a little pink bridge which has a little gory history behind it.
All in all, I would highly recommend any visitor to enquire and take the walk with Donovan!

Besides the fact the hotel is a 15-20min walk (5min cab ride away) from the main hub of activities, (Jonker Street), I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to visit Malacca!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
melaka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I am a local myself, the reason i put up a night in this hotel was that my aunt from singapore had booked this hotel and paid up front but they were unable to make the trip due to personal reason. So instead of wasting the room, my aunt offered me the room.

this is not my first YTL property i tried before. YTL hotels has been well known for their excellent service. But not this time, probably its a bad day for me. check in was smooth but the receptionist wasn't that cheerful to me. probably she is having a bad day :)

The room is beautiful but one down side about the rooms is the noise, the room next door is a family with young kids. i could hear kids crying and shouting. i think that the room wall is thin. other than that the room is just fine.

being a local myself, the location of the hotel is not the best, no doubt melaka is small, but considering the traffic in melaka during the weekends, driving from the hotel to historical sites/jonker street/melaka raya area could be frustrating considering the amount of traffic, you could easily stuck in the jam for 30 min to an hour.

overall, the hotel is ok, but not the best YTL hotels.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Drove up from Singapore and spent a weekend at Majestic. It's situated very near Jonker area and is easily accessible. There is a private carpark which looks safe.
Staff: It's hard to see any staff without a smile on their faces.
Facilities: Facilities are greats - especially the pool and the gym. Gym has new equipment which are fully functional.
Room: Room itself was splendid. We loved the bathtub and the design of the entire room. The bed and pillows were plush, and you can expect to feel rested.
Price: it is considered pricey for a hotel in Melaka, but I feel its well worth it. It's the small things that they do that make you feel taken care of.

Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

I love the small touch that this hotel have in both deco and services.A pot of tea is serve once you arrival in the room.The room is excellent with great deco.Very comfortable bed and great bath tub.There is however 1 point which i want to highlight,they gave very poor quaility toothbrush which was worn out after 1 use this is not really acceptable for a 5 star hotel.
If you stay at the hotel you must try the spa.Great service ,they even did a hair ritual with head massage before our actual treatment.Very relaxing.The spa colour coordination and deco is great.I want to be back there soon!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vivi2009
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

No matter how you look at it, this hotel is completely fantastic. Service wise, they have one of the best hotel staffs that I ever encountered. They went all out just to make your stay more wonderful than ever. Hotel facilities are great and well maintained with the hotel strategically located in the heart of Melaka town. The room is superb, its authenticity just make you fall in love with it. It is definitely a "must go" place even for a weekend break~!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
South Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

This is a seriously beautiful hotel - the room and staff are first class. Staff are friendly, professional, polite and will go out of their way to ensure your stay is wonderful. Probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at.
An added bonus was Donovan, a staff member who takes guests (at no charge) on a walking tour of the city area. Wear comfortable shoes and be ready to ask questions.

Laupasat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The Majestic is a wonderful hotel to get away for some peace and quiet.
It is a smallish hotel with less than a 100 rooms over 10 floors - it does not have the crowds which u may experience in a larger hotel.
Likes:
1. very clean and spacious rooms. The bed is huge and same goes for the bathroom. There is a very comfy bath tub for a cool soak. The sound proofing of the room is also good - u don't hear that much noise from adjacent rooms and from the corridor.
2. we hardly saw the chamber maids. Our room is always cleaned or turned down for the night each time we returned.
3. great breakfast in the hotel's cafe. The food is excellent although the choice is rather limited. But for a couple of days stay, it's enough to fill our palate.
4. the pool is indeed smallish, but big enough if u are not sharing it with a few families with children. What I do like is the fact that the gym is just next to the pool - so after a workout, u could just jump into the pool for a good soak (or swim)
5. Great spa with great service - the staff are just so patient and detailed!!!
6. Value for money - the rooms are a bit pricier than most other hotels in Malacca. But our rooms came with daily breakfast and daily 50mins spa for 2 pax. On a standalone basis, the breakfast would have cost about RM100 for both of us and for the spa, its about RM400 for each nite.

Dislikes:
Nothing much to dislike about the place.
But children might not really like the place given its small size and limited facilities (there is no children's club, playground, etc)
The hotel conducts free guided heritage walks daily - do give it a try as it really looked interesting. I had missed it as i only found out about it on the last day!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars