New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Puri

Hotel Puri
Ranked #10 of 165 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Puri is fantastic for a romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

First of all, this review might be a little biased because both times I stayed the puri, I booked the junior suite. I have never stayed in the other rooms so I would not know how the other rooms are like. The junior suite is simply stunning. I got the duplex with a gorgeous bath so it was all geared for romance. The bed is spacious and comfortable and the service is amazing. I never had any problems and the staff was always very polite and very friendly, constantly smiling and trying their best to be as helpful as possible. The downsides were the breakfast, which was nothing to rave about, the acoustics of the hotel which enabled you to hear the on goings of your surroundings quite clearly and the state of the room's ceiling. Our room, despite being the junior suite, needed a little painting on the ceiling as it had some stains. Other than that, the room is very clean, well furnished with beautiful dark antique wood cupboards and very tastefully decorated. I definitely feel like I got what I paid for and it was an experience both my boyfriend and I enjoy very much.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

Hotel Puri has certainly been over rated. It was a huge disappointment especially since I had chose this hotel because of the rave reviews. When we reached at 3pm, we were supposed to have 2 rooms but one was not ready. 4 of us had to bunk in at the other room. Checking in process took a long time. Not because there were many people but the two front counter ladies were chatting and talking among themselves while trying to process our check in. It was obvious that they could not focus on processing our details. One of the beds was squeaky and looks old. I requested for extra pillow at 11pm and they could not accede to request because their house keeping was closed! The front counter staff were always unfriendly and not smiling when I pose a question. For breakfast, even though the courtyard was a nice place, the feeling was let down by the food. The food was cold and the staff was slow to replenish the empty trays. Overall, I think staying at this hotel was a bad choice. I had stayed in another similar hotel 4 month earlier located down the road and I think the experience there was definitely much better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank equinoxism
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

This hotel was recommended by a friend and we weren't disappointed. Rooms were basic but clean. The best part is definitely the decor - a lovely courtyard where there are chairs and tables, a little ornamental waterfall, small pond, plants etc. In the evening, they did a barbecue which was very tasty - even a good choice of veggie dishes for me!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

When we travel we like to stay as much as possible in locally owned hotels. Turns out that this hotel is owned by a Singaporean academic who has a passion to collect antiques. The whole concept of this hotel is fascinating.....beautifully decorated, the swiftlets nesting in the Swallow Hall and the antiques. We had a family room which was very spacious. Breakfast was fine. Courtyard was beautiful. Our first night we were there there was function for local orphans who arrived dressed exquisitely. Unfortunately the second night we received no sleep due to an inundation of rowdy international students who partied in the courtyard until the wee hours - laughing, yelling and scraping the heavy outdoor furniture over the paving stones. As most of the rooms face onto the corridor this is an issue as people pay to sleep at a hotel. I am sure it is a 'one off'. Interestingly the historian owner also owns the Cheng Ho (Zheng He) Museum which is also totally fascinating. i had a personally guided tour for a very small cost. My guide was informed and passionate. Allow a couple of hours. WiFi was available in the courtyard free of charge. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

Just came back from a trip to Melaka. Stayed at Hotel Puri for 2 nights. This is a hotel with strong peranakan flavour. Room was adequate and clean. Free bottled mineral water were provided which was great! However bed was a bit squeaky. Could it be because the previous person who slept on the bed was too heavy and spoilt the springs in the mattress?! Light sleepers may get woken up by the noisy air-con and occasional noise from moving vehicles on the street. Overall not too bad a hotel to stay in as the location is excellent (next to Jonker Street).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a short break in Malaysia. We caught a taxi from LCCT airport to Melaka at a cost of 159RM ($55.55c australian). For a journey that took nearly 2 hours, we thought this was very good value.
We stayed at the Puri Hotel which is just around the corner from Jonker Street. The hotel was everything that I had read about it.
Very old, but magnificently maintained. The room we had was on the ground floor and overlooked the garden. The bathroom was small but very very clean, the shower was one of the best we have experienced on our many travels. The garden resturant was lovely. Breakfast didn`t have much choice, but for what we paid, was probably worth it. Staff were pleasant, and we had no complaints at all. The hotel is in an exellent position, we walked everywhere (and we are both in our 60`s)
We would definitely stay at the Puri again. In fact we are already making plans to return October/November 2010 with my husbands brother and wife. I cant post any photos yet, cause I havent downloaded them from the camera .
Heather and John Perth Australia

3 Thank chooky47
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night late Oct. We drove from Singapore and it was great that the hotel provided secure parking in their small parking lot. The room was small but quaint, just like the rest of the hotel. Air-con in room was a little weak but after a while it got cool. Small bathroom with tiny shower. Breakfast was simple with both local and western choices, served at a undercover outdoor area.

Location of this hotel is great, you could walk around to many of the local shops, sites and eateries.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends