“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 161 Hotels in Melaka
Hobart, Australia
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We arrived as part of a group and while having stayed at Traders (KL) and probably unfairly, we thought initially it looked a bit tired - but the lobby/reception area had a grandeur - we were dealt with reasonably promptly. We had a club room and again not as flash as Traders - room views (room 804) overlooking pool and Melaka. Walls were bit dowdy and in one area noted the wallpaper needed attention. The lifts were intolerably slow - there were 4 lifts but took some time would have been better to have two lifts going up and two down
Club lounge: breakfast was a hit and miss - food was cold, not great variety. Service was good. The toaster was slow - took 2-3 goes to get it brown. Not set right. We had breakfast down stairs on the next two mornings. Good variety but could be crowded - as one of our group said 'it could be a bit of a bun fight'
Toilet blocked but swiftly fixed - room service - was efficient.
Staff positive and cheerful. I wonder if having a key card entry to the lift might solve security problems, although rooms could be accessed via the stairwell.
Our group had a function on the last evening - the variety and amount of food was excellent - and I personally felt we were well catered for. A great way to end our time there. Service again was excellent and food was tasty. Nicely labelled for us westerners.

Room Tip: Get a club room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

I am glad that the room had met your expectations and the opportunity to experience friendly service from our staffs. Nevertheless I sincerely apologize that you had to wait for quite a while for the lift.

I have taken a serious view on your feedback of our Club Lounge offering. I have addressed them with my Director of Food and Beverage for immediate corrective actions and improvements.

Nevertheless, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable time at the event on the last evening.

Once again, our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to provide us with your review and we look forward to welcome you back.

Adrian Chung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I returned to Melaka after a 32 year hiatus to find a place suffering from a phase of rapid modernisation whilst trying to maintain its historic and traditional charms. The Equatorial in this regard has lost its charm.

Rated against a 5-start, I found its service lacking, although genuine - nobody tries to help with luggage, or offering directions, or even registering earlier than the 3pm schedule. You'll have to find somebody, who all have their head down, seemingly to avoid being asked for help.

Room facilities were OK, all as expected although we found the shower and taps only dispensed scorching hot water. So, no showers that weekend for us.

Parking and slow WiFi was free, a welcomed bonus for us. I would have to say though, that location wise the hotel was right on the money being next door to A Formosa, Dataran Palawan shopping arcade and the Melaka Raya precinct, where great food could be found.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time taken to post your review. I have taken a serious view on all your feedback and rest assured every effort will be made to improve where we have fallen short.

Once again, our sincere appreciation for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

Trieste, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The main feature of the Equatorial are big rooms with spacious bathrooms and the big pool.
We had a great breakfast there with wide choice of meals. Me and my hausband also took a massage at the hotel spa, it has been far too energic in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation. We certainly value your patronage and we look forward to your visit again soon.

Once again, our sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

selangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in deluxe room ..high floor with town view.. service is very friendly and fast check in and room is newly refurbished. Love it. Recommend. The hotel is situated next to few shopping malls but quite far from the famous Jonker street. I would recommend for family to travel in their own transportation. There are basement parking and is free for hotel guest. Local food can be found in walking distance. There a street with shops n local food restaurants.. so quite convenient.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am certainly very pleased that we have met to your expectation. We will always make every effort to provide the best level of service to all our guests.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel previously. It's nice, clean and the rooms are comfortable. It's just getting a little tired from use and could use some sprucing up. Restaurant had a nice breakfast buffet but not enough seating and crowded areas for service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I have taken a serious view on all your feedback and rest assured we will make every effort to improve on all the areas mentioned. We certainly look forward to welcome you back again to Hotel Equatorial Melaka. .

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed April 2014. This hotel has many positives but it is not secure as we had both our locked suitcases stolen from the room as it was being cleaned. Anyone off the street can easily gain access to the room corridors via the lifts. Following this incident we were looked after well by the staff and were accompanied to the police station to help with the statement. They also offered us a free meal and were not charged for the room. That was appreciated but we would prefer to have our suitcases back.

Room Tip: The higher up ,the better
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank L k
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.
After reading your review, firstly I would like to sincerely apologize again for the unfortunate incident that you have experienced during your stay with us.

This certainly was unusual and has never happen before. Security is paramount and we certainly do not take it for granted. We will make every effort to further step up our existing security procedures.

I do hope that this isolated incident encountered will not deter you from returning.
Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Kuantan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I'm arrived at the hotel on 22nd April 2014 at 6:45pm from Kertih, Terengganu using the Kuantan-Segamat Highway. After 4 hours drove car, I felt so happy when the receptionist greet me with warm smile and address my name correctly.

She quickly check my booking by referring to my identity card and confirm all the details within split second. She also offered a complimentary baby-coat and prayer matt for our convenience.

That was a great check-in experience and it meet my expectation.

I follow one of the visitor advise in TripAdvisor by unload all my belonging at the entrance before proceed to car parking area at the underground of the hotel which was NO lift services. The bellboy did a great job!

When I enter the room 1201 at level 12, I'm being surprise with the specious room and a nice view of Melaka City. I feel happy went I saw my two kids and spouse smile happily. The room arrangement was good with king's bed, mini sofa set, tv.

At that night we had our dinner at Kopitiam Restaurant in Pahlawan Mall next to hotel building. It is just 3 minutes walking distance! The hotel was strategically located near with all attractive places.

Breakfast in the hotel was just a complimentary moment and similar like other hotel and nothing to surprise. Recommended if you are on business travel which have a tight schedule.

Dinner for my second night at Seri Nyonya Restaurant (at Level 3) was awesome. The ambiance, foods and services was great (read my details comment at restaurant review).

Hotel have full facilities with free WiFi service, gym, swimming pool, tennis court and other amenities.

Late check-out experience was easy and fast. The process was simplified by the bellboy services. Again, The bellboy did a great job!

In conclusion, my family very happy after 3 days 2 nights stay and we plan to come again on family vacation trip at the same hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am certainly very pleased that we have met to your expectation and we will always make every effort to provide the best level of service to all our guests.