“Nonya cooking class a must!”

Hotel Equatorial Melaka
Ranked #13 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Adelaide, Australia
“Nonya cooking class a must!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We did not stay here but the Nonya cooking class was a must ! It is about $40 and you feast at the end of it! The class we did was small , 3 of us and one other, we cooked in pairs. The dishes were demonstrated to us and then we went and cooked them. They were delicious ! Aprons and chefs hats provided! Recipes to take home and try for ourselves. A red meat dish and a seafood/ white meat dish and a dessert with all the wonderful flavours that are specific to a Malaccan meal.Afterwards the meals you had cooked and a few more! This is run over 2 or so hours and then either a big lunch or an early dinner afterwards. I would put this at the top of my must do list for a visit to Melaka!

Room Tip: Cooking class a must do in Malacca!
4 Thank wendyscott13
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am very pleased that your stay has been an enjoyable one.

I am pleased that you had enjoyed our hands-on cooking experience at our Nyonya cooking class.

Adrian Chung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 18, 2014

One of the reasons I went to Melaka was to renew my experience of Nyonya food, especially the stuff that is impossible to obtain in the west, as the special ingredients aren’t available. I also wanted to do a cooking class to pick up extra knowledge and tips form the experts. After extensive enquiries I found the Equatorial Hotel appears to be the only place providing these. (The Riverine Coffee Shop no longer does them). I wasn’t disappointed!

It's wise to book in advance as they need a minimum number for a class.

The lovely Rubayah, who is the hotel’s Nyonya chef, taught my group of 4. The set-up was very professional and we all learned plenty, as well as having a lot of fun and making new friends. We could also ask questions about the ingredients, the method of preparation etc. After the class (2 hours) we were served the dishes we cooked, plus a few more, in the adjacent restaurant. We were given high-quality printed recipes for our dishes. Astounding value for money!

Next day I retuned to the hotel's Nyonya restaurant for dinner to get into some of the more exotic dishes, like curry with Kalimantan black nuts, and the food and service were fantastic.

A quality experience I'll remember for a long time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you experienced our hands-on cooking at our Nyonya cooking class.

I am glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation. We certainly value your patronage and we look forward to your visit again soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend trip with family. Had 2 rooms with connecting door, seaview and pretty high floor. Definitely very good value for money.
I particularly loved the sofa cum bed at the window side. Great for relaxing and a very good view and also no extra bed needed. (Staff brought immediately additional blankets, etc.).
Location is a plus, next to shopping malls and a short walk from most major attractions of Melaka. I will be back ...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

We sincerely thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Quite a nice hotel & the room had a lovely balcony but not the best view as my room wasn't facing the road front. A lot of construction going on in Malacca but I didn't hear any noise, I just affects your view. Great swimming pool but note that females in Melacca cover up; I was the only grown woman in swimwear, nevermind a bikini! Great food offerings with restaurants & a 24/7 cafe but the bar was empty, although it was nice with friendly staff.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Firstly, I choose this hotel because it was convenient since its location was a strategic place. However, this was the worst experience. There was a hair on the toilet bowl since we just entered our room, so it shows that they did not clean thoroughly for the toilet . Then, the overall room furnitures (bed,bedsheets)were not maintain. The toilet environment too was upsetting. At night, when we went to sleep, the air-conditioner were very loud and it disturb us. To conclude, what I experience staying in this hotel before this was not excellent as recently. The experience just upsets me and my expectations decline. Moreover, I brought my friends to stay there for their first time but it just upsets me.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Cleanliness is certainly paramount and must be kept at its level best at all times and I have done a thorough review with my Executive Housekeeper on the cleanliness.

I have noted on your comments of the air condition and immediate action has been taken to address the issue.

I sincerely apologize that the stay was somewhat not flawless, rest assured we will make every effort to improve on our shortcomings and we certainly look forward to welcome you back again to Hotel Equatorial Melaka. .

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel was quite close to many shopping areas and had a good relaxing ambience. As I and my friends have come there on a bus tour, we reached much earlier than the usual check-in times. However, the friendly staff was able to arrange room maintenance earlier for our stay. The buffet breakfast was awesome with a huge variety of items to choose from, both western and local cuisine.

The one error they committed was to not provide the connecting rooms despite prior request. But overall, a good and affordable alternative to other properties in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Try checking the hotel prices online before booking a tour package.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased that you have experienced friendly and efficient service provided by our staffs and it is certainly pleasing to know that they have made every effort to ensure you had a pleasant and comfortable stay.

We certainly cherish your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed towards end of December for 2 nights. Lobby seemed to be overrun by mainland tour groups most of times, yet the bellmen did their very best to lift the standard by calling the elevator for guests and generally being very helpful.
Room was a bit outdated and especially the bathroom seemed to have seen better times. Had breakfast on the first day, nothing exciting, service a bit slow.
Hotel is walking distance to everything there is to see in Melaka however if you feel lazy, do opt for those decorated cycle taxis available in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for higher levels to enjoy the view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

I have noted on your comments on the condition of the rooms. We are currently embarking on refurbishment of our rooms and other areas. Rest assured every effort will be made to improve.

Once again, our sincere appreciations to you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review. We look forward to welcome you back.