“Excellent Location”

Ranked #13 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
kuala lumpur
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The location is very good .. at least to those who drives, not exactly in the Jonker Street. Walking distance to Shopping Mall, Food and etc. Bed is comfortable .. Bathroom is clean and spacious. Not many Channel if you want to spend sometimes in the room watching movies. Breakfast is great ..

Room Tip: Higher floor have a better view to the harbor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family and I headed up to Malacca (Melaka) on the 20th of October 2012 till 21st October 2012, for a short family trip, to celebrate my Mother's birthday. We went up by Luxury Coach (Luxury Travel and Tours Singapore) via Exclusive Coach, which departed from Singapore at 0830hrs via the 2nd link checkpoint. There was a tour guide who boarded the coach at the Malaysian Checkpoint and she gave us a short introduction of Malacca, with history, things-to-do there as well as the night-life and many other interesting facts. She even talked about the new attractions in Malaysia such as the Legoland and also other places around the world, to spark our interest in travel.

The journey took a little over 3.5 hours, with a short stop at Yong Peng for snacks and the very important "toilet break". When we were approaching the Town Centre of Malacca, the tour guide showed us several tourist attractions along the way, recommended several food stalls which we could patronise since we had booked a "free & easy" tour package, so we were free to roam around the state as we please. We were dropped off at the Hotel Lobby of Equatorial Hotel (Malacca / Melaka), where we stayed. I had not stayed there before but my aunt had stayed there before and had good feedback about it and so we decided to stay there too.

Check-in was fast, with English speaking Guest Relations Officers. We had booked 2 Deluxe rooms via our travel agent and on check-in, only one room was ready for checking-in while the other room was being cleaned. We left our belongings in the room which we had received first and went out for lunch, followed by shopping and only returned to the hotel at around 8pm, and took our second room card-keys.

HOTEL ROOM
The hotel room was a Deluxe room (all rooms are deluxe and above). We had requested for a high floor room and rooms that were connecting rooms with a view of the Straits of Malacca, a beautiful sight indeed. Our hotel room was on the 8th floor, directly in front of the lift lobby, where the noise can sometimes be a little loud with holiday-goers returning to their hotel rooms. Otherwise, we were given a room facing the Straits of Malacca as requested. The rooms were comfortable, with twin sharing beds (King size beds were available in the Deluxe rooms too). Nice neat and inviting room decorations.

There was also a small coffee table and an armchair if you would fancy reading a book just before bedtime. The hotel room came with the usual, ironing board, electric iron, 2 extra pillows, a safe deposit box, a television set, the dressing table and the usual toilet amenities. The rooms that were facing the Straits of Malacca had balconies attached to the rooms while the rooms facing the other side of the hotel had no balconies but the room was bigger, so it was a "give and take" issue. So if you want a bigger room, ask for the rooms facing away from the Straits of Malacca.

The beds were comfortable with soft fluffy pillows, which made me fall asleep almost instantly, although the long and rushing day of shopping contributed too. The air-conditioner thermostat is in the middle of the central console, in-between our twin-sharing beds, which made things easy when we wanted to increase the temperature of our room. There was also an alarm clock setting on the central console, which allowed us to control the lights in the room too.

I am sort of a "clean-freak" for hotel toilets. The toilet has to be very clean, if not, I would not even consider staying at that hotel and I must say, I was reasonably impressed with it. It was generally clean, with the usual toiletries provided, a water hose beside the toilet seat and a bathtub and standing shower together.They did not provide us with toothbrush and toothpaste, but I had brought my own. But my parents had forgotten to pack theirs, I made a call down to housekeeping and they gladly provided my parents with two sets of toothbrush and toothpaste and within 10 minutes of me calling them. I am very impressed with their efficient hospitality service.

JONKER STREET
Every tourist who stays in Malacca should head down to Jonker Street which is unfortunately only open of Friday and Saturday nights. There is an excellent Malacca mamak chendol near the Clock Tower just outside of Jonker street, which closes at 6pm everyday. Their chendol comes in regular or large size, with many different flavours, including ones with ice-cream in the chendol. I ate the original chendol, which made me go for 2 helpings and I must tell you that seats are hard to get, so you have to be quick to rush for seats.

The entire stretch of Jonker Street was filled with hawker food, snacks served piping hot and knick-knacks sold at every corner, which were not only cheap but a rarity back in your home country. You can find many souvenirs from the many different shops, although some stalls sell identical stuff. Do not forget to check out the prices at other stalls as there are some which sells the same things at a lower price and the most important tip is to bargain for the price. Almost everything can be bargained.

Jonker street is actually 20 minutes away from our hotel room by slow walk, to soak up the night atmosphere. As my aunt was familiar with Malacca, we found our way to the hotel easily. It was a breezy walk back to our hotel room. Finding a taxi there may be difficult because of the road closures at Jonker Street. Alternatively, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can hire a rickshaw and have them take you back to your hotel room. You can also soak up the atmosphere while on the rickshaw, decorated with flowers and with music too.

SHOPPING CENTRES
Now, the excellent thing about staying at Equatorial Hotel Malacca is because of its excellent location. Just 5 minutes walk from the hotel is the Dataran Pahlawan shopping centre, and the basement level is simply huge, with many lanes and connections, so if you are unfamiliar with the level, take your time to get your bearing before venturing on your own.

A 10 minute walk through Dataran Pahlawan shopping centre would bring you to Mahkota Parade shopping centre, also a big shopping centre with many shops, ranging from clothes, bookstores and electronics.

HOTEL BREAKFAST
I'm not a very picky and fussy person when it comes to food but I have my standards and I must say that the hotel breakfast buffet met my standards. There was a wide variety to choose from, seats were aplenty, and the restaurant staff were helpful and quick to clear our empty plates, making room for more food. The buffet spread was great, with a variety of hot foods, salads, cereals, eggs and omelette counter and also a pancake and waffles counter with several condiments you could add on your pancakes like chocolate, strawberry and maple syrup.

OVERALL
My stay at the Equatorial Hotel was a happy stay and I would recommend that hotel to any of my friends who wanted to travel up to Malacca because I had a great time there. The hotel staff were friendly and efficient and the buffet breakfast was great. I would definitely head back to that hotel if I were to head back to Malacca again for a store trip, just to unwind from the stresses of life. Prior to checking out, there was a charge of two Malaysian RInggit as part of the World Heritage Site fee, per room.

Room Tip: If you want rooms with a balcony, ask for the rooms on a high floor and facing the Straits of Malacc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Cha Cha I
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just got back from a short 2D1N trip to Malacca and this was my second stay at the Equatorial (my first was a long time ago, in 2009, when attending a training seminar). While I lodged at the Deluxe Room during my previous stay, this time round, as I was traveling with my wife, in-laws, and infant son, we went for two Premier Rooms instead (no. 1815 and 1816).

Room:
The Equatorial had an ad campaign in the papers a few months back, promoting their newly-renovated Premier rooms and this influenced me to give those a shot. And it proved to be the right choice, as the room as very tastefully done up, with an LCD TV, glassy workstation, minibar, and two comfy single beds (the room with King-sized bed was not available). The unique feature was what Equatorial calls their daybed, which is in the former balcony space and is surrounded by three windows. Anyone who sleeps on this bed will have the feeling of lying down outdoors, but protected by glass!

At the same time, since we had an infant with us, I asked the hotel to see whether they could provide us a crib, at the time of booking. During the check-in, my wife also re-checked with the reception personnel on this and they told her that they would refer to housekeeping. Turns out that a crib was indeed sent up to the room and there was also no charge for its usage, what a pleasant surprise!

However, while the room was renovated, the same cannot be said about the toilet. It looked like the one I stayed in 2009, with the usual sink, bathtub, Equatorial-branded toiletries, and a large WC. I have no complaints, though, but only wish that the toilets were upgraded in tandem with the room in order to have the "balanced" feel to it.

Views:
Nothing beats the view from the Equatorial's room (we were staying on the 18th floor of this 22-level tower block) as we had a great one overlooking the Malacca Raya township, upcoming Novotel Hotel and Hatten Hotel opposite, as well as Dataran Pahlawan Megamall. This is because the Equatorial is the only skyscraper "next door" to the symbol of Malacca, the A Famosa ruins. As such, the views from the higher floors are uninterrupted, especially at the back (facing the Renaissance-Emperor and Hang Tuah Road clusters).

Location:
Now this is the main plus point of staying in the Equatorial, compared with its chums like Renaissance, Holiday Inn, Casa Del Rio and Majestic, for instance. You can get the best of both worlds here, i.e. with the modern Dataran Pahlawan Megamall opposite (for shopping, dining, and entertainment) and the A Famosa heritage precinct literally a stone's throw away.

What makes things better is that to proceed to slightly distant sights like the Taming Sari Observation Tower, Stadhuys Building, Christ Church, and Jonker Street only takes around 5-10 minutes walk, if you do not want to go through the hassle of looking for parking along the crammed and narrow streets. On the other hand, foodies can also walk towards the Malacca Raya township, with its myriad of Nyonya restaurants (a unique Malacca specialty) and drinking joints.

Food:
With the exception of buffet breakfast which was served at Rest House Cafe, we did not get to try any of the other F&B outlets in the Equatorial (there are five in total, including the popular Kampachi Japanese Restaurant). However, breakfast was tasty enough, with stuff like cereal, nasi lemak, omelets, pancakes, and pastries available. The place was crowded though, which is testament to the popularity of the Equatorial among visitors to Malacca City.

Facilities:
I went for a dip in the Level 4 swimming pool yesterday morning, as it is the only time I can swim nowadays (it is always raining in the evenings!). The pool may look smallish from the surface but when you start to swim, it is actually reasonably big and took me around 1/2 hour to do 20 laps. There was also a floodlit tennis court adjacent to the swimming pool as well as a fitness center, both of which I did not utilize during my stay here.

Lobby:
The two-level lobby was very spacious (with the large chandelier and floral display) and beats the ones in many of the other hotels in Malacca city, primarily due to the size of the Equatorial's tower itself. This means that even though the weekends result in an influx of guests to the hotel, there is no fear of the place becoming too crowded.

However, there has been no change to the decor even since my 2009 visit and the Management should consider a renovation to convert this area into something more contemporary, similar to how the Flo Lounge and Lobby-level Ballroom is like.

Conclusion:
Despite some very minor flaws, me and the family were very satisfied with our stay at the Equatorial and have no qualms of returning back for a third visit. Now if the lobby and Deluxe rooms get their overdue renovations soon, this will make the Equatorial perfect!

Room Tip: Go for the Premier rooms, which have been beautifully renovated and are on the higher floors, guaran...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HannTi_Tan
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Excellent hotel.
1. Near the shopping centre.
2. The club rooms are perfect with a great view and breakfast on the club floor.
3. Food in the restaurant is pretty good, although their sago melaka is mediocre.
4. Service is very good.
5. Conference room is not bad, with decent lighting.
6. Spa is very good though a bit pricey, cheaper to use outside facilities for a massage.

Room Tip: For sure, pay extra for the club rooms. Two balconies with great views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mystic18
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Very strategic location. Walking distance to shopping mall and nearby local delights and activities. Cinema is just around the corner for a nice movie.
Hotel is tidy and clean. However, the hotel do not provide Free Wi-fi. Sad to know such a nice and big hotel do not provide wifi service to their guests. Charges applied at RM15 per hour. Too much to charge the customer. I will consider my next visit if to stay in this hotel again. Good Luck!

• Stayed October 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Front office service is good as we requested for room at 8am, they gave us a room at 12 floor with balcony. Room is clean and well kept. Location is convenient to most tourist attractions and local shopping malls.

However, wifi is terrible as it is available at lobby with relatively poor signal. Wifi is not free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lpypeiying
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel countless times. Overall, this hotel is good for a 5-star- rating given. However, this is about how you can get the most out of your money when you stay here. Subscribe with their membership privilege offer (Enchant). I'm not so sure whether it's applicable to foreign tourists other than Singaporeans. You'll get a lot out of this offer. The fee (RM 518) alone would have covered a free 2-n-stay with breakfast and more. Normally, to stay in this hotel under promotional rate you would have to pay RM300 - RM400. This is a good deal.

Room Tip: You have to add a bit more for a premier room but it is a renovated room with a day bed at the origi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple