“It was ok in 2006”

Mahkota Hotel Melaka
Ranked #119 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed in the hotel for 3 days 2 nights with my family members, and I was quite satisfied with the hotel (or I am lucky to get a good apartment room). The hotel has a big and beautiful swimming pool, sport equipments, and just at the beach side. The location, very good.

Well, after viewing all the current reviews, I wonder how can the condition went down so dramatically in just few years time. Well, here, I just try to rate the hotel, according to my previous experience, and of course, I would think twice to recommend the hotel to my friends, now.

If you wish to read more about my Malacca trip, please visit:

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Mahkota Hotel Melaka

Reviewed April 21, 2009

First of all the location is great! Near the Makhota Parade and Pahlawan Mall. The hotel is terrible. I heard the hotel used to be a condominium which really look like one. My room is quipped with kitchen and has a balcony. I got the view of the sea. The sofa cushion is dirty and dusty. I wonder how many months they didnt wash it. The toilet is small and has a bathtub. However, i won't dare to use the bathtub, so filty!! They got TV cable but i never heard of the channel before and not interesting at all. I can give thumbs up to their complimentary breakfast buffet. Delicious!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2009

After reading tripadvisor reviews, we thought, hey..how bad could it be? the mahkota parade shopping centre is right opposite it so we can just go there and shop and just return to hotel afterwards right? WRONG!!! there is NO pedestrian crossing/traffic light for you to go over to mahkota parade shopping centre. My elderly mom & dad and us with a baby & pram had to scramble for our life across a super busy street leading to an expressway! and Malaccan drivers are horrible speedsters! funny how non-chalant the hotel workers were abt the crossing..oh..just cross the road..Also, the tap water/bathroom water was YELLOW! we stayed at the 2 bedroom suite, dirty carpets, rusty kitchen tops and were told that the water has to be left running for 10 minutes to clear the YELLOW sediment away..and we had to do this each time we needed water!! We ended up buying bottles of mineral water to brush our teeth and clean our baby..OH GOSH! oh yes...last thing, we booked via AGODA so we had a voucher but needed and extra bed & a crib. The crib they gave us was SPOILT! It had a broken ledge. They gave us another one ALSO SPOILT! I give up!And the receptionist insisted I paid for the extra bed there and then and not at the end of the stay, which is normally when we settle all extra charges..I found it wierd after which she said..ok then..never mind..i'll just swipe your card first to put the balance aside...FINE LAH! whatever!! please please please stay away from this hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank rumi55
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Arrived at Malacca on a Friday afternoon without booking. Suppose to stay at a new hotel next door, but was fully booked. No choice and this hotel was down to their last 2 rooms!
They gave us their so called deluxe suite 2 bedroom with breakfast for RM420.00 per night! When we step into the room, the carpet felt dirty and sticky. The toilet sprayer at one of the room was leaking! To make things worse, the room faced a busy road that lead to a bridge! I have to put on a flight ear plug to sleep at night.

Reviewed March 19, 2009

I've stayed in many hotels around the world both for work and leisure. My family and I took a two days one night weekend break at Malacca and we stayed at the Mahkota Hotel Melaka. This was the worst hotel that I had ever stayed in all my years of travelling. The experience was most unpleasant!

Firstly, it took more than one-and-a-half-hour for checking-into our two bedroom apartment. At about 3.30pm, we finally, got checked-in. Then to our dismay, there were no bath towels or hand towels in both bathrooms except a floor towel each.

Light to the kitchenette and the kettle in the kitchenette were not working.

Calls to the reception went unanswered even after long rings. Subsequently, I called housekeeping which gave me the excuse that there were too many guests and they weren't able to keep up with their laundry. They gave the assurance that they would deliver the towels shortly as well as replacing the spoilt kettle.

No towel nor kettle came even after i had made 4 calls to housekeeping from 3.30pm to 5.00pm even though they promised that it would come shortly.

I had to call the duty manager at 5.00pm to register my displeasure highlighting that I need boiling water to make milk for a toddler. Even then, nothing came.

It was only after another 2 more calls and 2 hours from checking-in that these items finally arrived at 5.30pm! I just couldn't believe the appalling level of service rendered. The hotel staff are just not proud of their job!

The hotel is badly maintained. Water from the shower came as trickles. It's just so difficult to shower. One of the bathroom's ceiling leaks so badly above the wash basin. It was just impossible to use the basin as the ceiling leaks like rain.

Even the bed, there was spider on it!

As if these were not bad enough, the next day, when we went to the Cafe for breakfast, we were told to adjourn to Spices, which is another restaurant as the staff claimed that the Cafe was full, but on the contrary, there were still empty table at the back of the restaurant which the staff at the front couldn't see. I saw the empty table in the Cafe on the way to Spices.

We adjourned to Spices and to our chagrin, the serving plates were dirty! The brown and yellow stains were visible from a distance. Guests have to go through the stacks of plates to select clean ones to use. The sight was just appalling!!! I had to call the manager over to witness how dirty the plates were.

It made me wonder the management of the hotel. How can they allow such a state of being??? I questioned the manager there on how can he assure me that the food there was clean and hygienic for which he was not able to give me an affirmative reply!

The dirty plates were a reflection of the hygiene level of the hotel and the poor service reflects inefficient operation and management at every level. As a management staff working in the service industry myself, this is just not acceptable.

I had written a long feedback and submitted the form to the reception for the attention of the General Manager, Mr Nau and had requested for an acknowledgement and rectification measures by the hotel moving forward.

Judging by what had gone on during my two day stay there, the appalling and sub-standard level of service and management that I and my family received, I would not bear much hope of receiving an acknowledgement, let alone rectification actions.

With the sub-standard of quality and service rendered, I wonder how can the hotel claim that they are a four-star rating hotel??? It’s far from it!

Anyway, this would be the first and last time that I would stay in Mahkota Hotel Melaka and I certainly will inform all my friends never to try this hotel.

1  Thank Kardinya
Reviewed March 18, 2009

The worst hotel i ever stayed. Stayed there for 2 night at the 2 rooms apartment premier. It's extremely disappointing and sad to said that this hotel is very dirty, not well maintained & lousy services (i.e: water from tap dirty, bedsheet smelly filled with insects [--] & dusts, tv and hot water out of order, old and lousy furnishing). What i can described is the apartment that i stayed look like haunted apartment that not been isolated for ten years.

Think twice before make reservation at this hotel because it would spoil your mood on the vacation.

Reviewed March 11, 2009

We booked this hotel in sort of a last minute thing as the popular ones like Puri Hotel were fully booked. The room are filled with cheap floor tiles and spartan furniture, a very stark contrast to the exterior. The toilet flush doesn't even work, you gotta keep flushing till it work.

Location wise is not ideal since it takes over 15 mins to walk to places like Jonker Street. The breakfast spread was quite decent I should say.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple