“Average”

Mahkota Hotel Melaka
Ranked #120 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed in a 2 room Apartment. Hotel looks a bit old, carpet is a bit soiled and not comfortable to step on. No aircond unit in the living room except in the bed rooms.
Location is the only plus, next to the Mahkota Parade shopping Mall and the tourist attractions which are all within walking distance.Ample parking space for those who drive and free too.
Get the room facing the nice sea view.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was the worst hotel i have stayed thru out my planned vacation.
The hotel looked so presentable from outside and yet it is a nightmare from inside.
We booked the 2 room so called apartment.
The lift was small.
The hall in the apartment was small.
The 2 rooms were so small with filthy carpet, bad aircond,worst toilet,not enuf water flowing out to take a bath.
The wadrobe was like an old government house.
The balcony was small.
And it was not worth the rm 492 i paid.
My body started iching signage of allergy the moment i entered the apartment.
It was so bad that i had to ask my son to walk in to holiday inn across the road to chek whether they have available rooms.
For everyone's information.. Holiday inn was my first choice .. But was fully booked.
Alhamdullillah.. There was two rooms available at that time.
I went there N paid for the 2 rooms and told my maids to stay there for the nite.
Bad management.!!!!! Worst experience.

Room Tip: Better take anothe hotel than to stay here. Trust meuwont regre it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank elmyhasman
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked a 2-bedroom apartment online for our 3D2N trip to Malacca in May 2013. The apartment reservation and check-in apparently were administered separately from the Mahkota Hotel, where the owner/manager of the booked unit actually called us up to arrange for entry card pick up. He was very helpful and patient. Housekeeping service (presumed from Mahkota Hotel) was quite good, as we requested for a baby cot and it was delivered within the same hour. The rooms were reasonably clean, and standard hotel bathroom amenities were provided (as we initially thought the booked apartment was of those holiday rental type without towel/shampoo/toilet paper). It even came with a kitchenette for simple cooking.
However, the age of the apartment was obviously shown via the furniture and the paint on the wall. Nothing wrong with that, the apartment was just not that new.
We had no issue with parking and the location of the apartment made it easier for us to visit places within the Malacca city. While we didn't use it, there's a pedestrian crossing between the apartment and Mahkota Parade shopping center.
Before we checked out, we went to the pool and the kids just loved the water slides for kids.
Overall, it was definitely a great place to stay for a short family getaway and great value as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor at Jasmine tower (>10th floor), and a unit facing the city for the night...
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Lots of poor reviews from trip advisor made us rethink whether or not we would be driving up from Singapore for a weekend stay at this hotel. They have been suffering poor reviews on the condition and state of the rooms. On arriving, we felt that the rooms were very dated and in need of refurbishment but otherwise, the floors and corners were clean. Yes they did have stained grouting in the bathroom but it was clean and I suppose with a hotel this size and this old, it can be considered to be a well maintained development (I think it may be 20+ yrs old). I had requested an extra bed at the time of booking with Agoda but there was no confirmation of the extra bed at check-in and I thought they would not be providing us with one as it was peak period, and really we didn’t need an extra bed because we brought our own travel cot with us. They provided the extra bed shortly after we arrived at our room but did not advise on cost. When we checked out I realised they had charged us for this and commented to the lady that I didn’t realise we would be charged for the extra bed and she waived it without further discussion. Spoke to the staff too about the poor reviews that they have been getting on the net and they indicated that they are aware of it and working towards refurbishing the rooms, have new entry card systems and explained that the magnetic strips on the cards get affected by iPhone, tablet signals and when placed next to these in your pockets etc. We had no problems with the card and no problems with the cleanliness of the room. We left a set of our keys in the room by accident and called for help to open the door but ended up having to walk back to reception to get a spare set of keys as no one came to the apartment to unlock the door. That was not great. The kitchenette cannot be used (that is fair enough if you are a short term guest) and the fan is rickety and old. Air conditioning is ok (not great) but ok and it cooled the room down after an hour or so (took a little longer than expected but I guess everything is old in this property and needs a little patience). They have tea and coffee making facilities and although u cannot use the kitchenette, the kitchen sink made it easy for me to do my bottle washing without messing with toothbrushes etc. I liked the layout with the separate bedroom which made it easier for us to put the kids to bed. We watched TV while the kids went to sleep in the bedroom. Furnishing is standard. The sofa foam cushions were firm and the bed was also firm. I do not like soft cushiony beds so for me this was great. They were also generous with the pillows - 4 pillows for the double bed in total and an extra one with the extra bed. We had towels () – you will know what I mean if you read trip advisor. So yes - we had towels. No need to ask cleaning attendants for towels. View from our room was “sea view” but it felt more like a “river” view because of the low tide. But we did have unblocked views of the beach and a lot of privacy. My parents, who came with us, stayed in their garden view apartment which was slightly bigger in size but otherwise of the same standard in cleanliness and furnishing. Balconies were spacious and child friendly. The kids enjoyed exploring the apartment, the layout of which, I am guessing from their perspective, is more exciting than a standard one room hotel room. We stayed in the last block (block 8) rooms 8017 (sea view) and 8013 (garden view).
The hotel exterior itself is extremely well maintained and clean. The facilities are wonderful for families with young children. You have stray cats and some squirrels around which is nice for the children. Two swimming pools to enjoy and a large child friendly swimming pool with water fountains and slides are available. Also a miniature golf area which we did not try out because we were busy manipulating a very baby/toddler unfriendly Jonker Walk (which is approx. 15 mins on foot, faster if you do not have a double buggy to contend with). The hotel is also right opposite Makhota Parade Shopping Centre which is handy if you want to do some shopping. They need to work on pedestrianizing the route on foot to the shopping centre – I don’t think Malaysians walk very much so it may not seem like it is a problem to them but it was stressful crossing the road with kids!
Food wise – buffet is standard and slightly above average. So is the alacarte menu. International items are available. Their baby highchairs are new and clean and there is space for them there and air conditioning.
While I think the hotel rooms could certainly do with a makeover, I was very relieved to find I had a clean and decent one bedroom apartment after reading all the poor reviews. And while I did manage expectations, I find that for the price that it is – you really cannot expect it to deliver the 4 or 5 star furnishing that you may find at the newly opened hotels. The staff were friendly and accommodating of the kids and I would not mind staying there again.
If you do book this hotel you shouldn’t expect luxury furnishings but for what it is worth our family thinks it is good value for money.

3  Thank babyschlepper
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel, close to shopping centre and the hospital, external environment is really nice, but the room is horrible, we stayed in one bed room apartment, sofa is dirty with so many stains , toilet and room are not probary clean and maintain, it would have better if the management will to put in some effort to upgrade. Not a good choice for Melaka .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ngsiewcheng
Reviewed May 8, 2013

2 bedroom apartment.... nice & comfortable ...... nothing super.
Facilities... good .. big swimming pool , health centre etc.
Breakfast .... simple
Location... good... walking distance to all attraction...
Price..... definitely worth the penny

Expectation shouldn't be to high as it is not a 5 or 6 star establishment but ideal for family with kids!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 514Fantastic101
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Appeared grand but once in the apartment, one can see paint peeling off, noisy air-con and toilet utilities. I wonder if construction is still going on as one can dust and torn carpets near to the lifts. So are we paying for the location? Not exactly as during nite time, motorbikes racing and horn blasting is all that will accompany your dream. Consider the Mahkota shopping centre is just next to it, here not even a proper traffic light for one to cross the road safely and with the amount of cars passing by, I would give a triple NO to risk life there.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family