“Second Visit was Slightly Below Expectation”

Hatten Hotel Melaka
Ranked #12 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Second Visit was Slightly Below Expectation”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

After a ravishing first impression Hatten Hotel gave us during our first stay around June 2012, we happily hopped for a second visit in August 2012. Nevertheless, we were profoundly disappointed with the turtle-speed check-in and worst of all, the LATE check-in, which is totally absurd. We arrived at the hotel lobby(which is still not furbished and does not even look like a proper posh hotel lobby) at around 3pm, which was about time for check-in and collection of room keys. Only 2 counters were opened and there was a long queue. Receptionists took a long time to handle each customer. We stood there in line for almost half an hour. When it was finally our turn, we tried to make it fast as there were a lot of people behind us waiting impatiently to check-in too. However, our actions were not fruitful as the staff took an exceptionally long time handling all the documents and stuff. Then they told us off that the rooms were not ready yet! It was already 3.30pm by that time. We were told that we can only get our keys by 4.30pm! It was totally absurd. The staff asked for my number so that she could call me once the rooms are ready.

We had no choice but to loiter around the nearby shopping malls, which were kinda run-down. We had an elder along and she needs to lie down on her back-to no avail. We waited and waited..at 4.30pm, no calls were received, YET. So we just went back and kinda complained to the person-in-charge. Thankfully she was really helpful in locating our room. By that time, my grandmother was already craving for rest and her afternoon nap - at 5pm.

Once inside the room, our frustration skewed out. It was superbly clean and spacious. The only turn-down was that the floor of the shower cubicle was tainted with dirt, which was rather disgusting. View (city view) was astounding. The swimming pool added much to the excitement and satisfaction. Quietly located at the 13th floor, this infinity pool offers MORE than just a pool. Opens early in the morning, a quiet reading time on the pool deck followed by a morning dip was nothing but PERFECTION. Friendly breeze soothed our faces while relaxing on the reclining chair located inside the pool. Just fantastic. Breakfast spread was equally good with really friendly staff. Chefs were seen doing responsible rounds very frequently to make sure everything was okay and above standard. Kudos to them!

All in all, wonderful historical Malacca still makes up for our former frustration. Asking whether we would be back? Still under consideration. The pre-opening room promotion is out and now the room rates are high. Nevertheless, the wonderful location, food, room and pool definitely outweighs the drop-outs like late check-in and all. Oh and did I forget to say, we claimed a late check-out of 1.30pm too hahah! It was definitely reasonable. Would consider coming back. Lets just hope it would get better after its official opening!

Room Tip: I personally prefer the city-view rooms. It gives a wonderful picture of the city and the pool locat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Celinell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Close to shopping complexes & Melaka Raya where you can find good Nyonya food, banks and convenient store. Close to historical structures like A' Famosa & Saint Paul Church. Very good selection of buffet spread specially dinner. Room comes with 2 flat screen TV and free Internet. Good water pressure in bath room with large shower head. Safe box provided in room. However be prepared for long queue for check in and out especially on weekends.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Justinyyhong
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is very new. it is very clean and comfortable. Most amazing part is the location where it is just next to shopping malls and tourist spots. The breakfast is awesome in terms of varieties, taste and the decoration of the dining halls. Having good quality of sleep due to brand new and high quality bed.

everything is ok....clean, comfort, nice room but the bathroom clogs la....
spoilt....

Room Tip: 1630 bathroom clogs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank review123456_12
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Specially to Christian(Front Office)... 2ladies ( Hostess).... It's a best hotel that i ever stay...the view,the room and everything was wonderful... Could be better on restaurant service that staff should talking to the guest with just a simple words by greeting or other then that... But it just a minor thing...

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank MaryGracePacifico
Kepong, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel is very new, thus, it is very clean and comfortable. Most amazing part is the location where it is just next to shopping malls and tourist spots. The breakfast is AWESOME in terms of varieties, taste and the decoration of the dining halls. Having good quality of sleep due to brand new and high quality bed. It's value for money. I will come back for my next visit to Melaka. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank luckyngan1987
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have read negative reviews in here and quite surprised about it. I think I'm lucky coz I haven't had a bad experience yet. My check-in was awesome with Christian and Dorthy. I've got my room within 10 mins and it's just a perfect to start my day.

The room service was excellent too, within 20-30mins the foods already there to eat. The foods is delicious compare to Equatorial Hotel. Carpark - you can choose parking hotel or valet.

I tried several room from swimming pool view, city view and sea view. I prefer swimming pool view, city view and they told me I can request the same room number next time I check-in.

Yes I'm going to check-in in Oct again. 'fingers cross'

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mslvoe
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here as a family, mid August, and really, I wished I had stayed in one of Malacca's quaint boutique hotels.

The only reason I checked into this hotel is because of the reviews on TripAdvisor, which at that point, was brimming with positivity. Well, not anymore I suppose.

Check-In: BIGGEST nightmare, i felt i was checking-in under some nasty tour company. The wait was impossible. Once i reached my turn, the front desk officer was not at all friendly. I was there slightly after 3pm, and was told my room was not ready, and i'd have to wait half an hour in their massively crowded 'waiting area' *if you can even call it that*. I was traveling with my 4 yr old, who was extremely tired after her trip to the zoo and wanted only to lay down, and was made to wait. I had to speak to the manager, who promised to speed up the process, and rightfully she did, within 15 mins we were checked in.

Swimming Pool: It was alrite. I found the swimming pool rather big only thing is the bar is not operational yet, so pool snacks had to be ordered thru the towel-tenders.

Room: Big and spacious. All in all, the rooms are good.

I requested for a late check out, chargeable at half day rate, the DAY BEFORE i checked out. This was agreed upon, and i had an early morning, sightseeing with my kids. We got back to the hotel at 3pm and as expected, our key cards were not operational, so we had to backtrack to the reception, ask for an extension of the key card, and when i got into the room, the room had NOT been done (althogh i reminded Housekeeping at 9am that morning, that i was checking out late and I'd be back after lunch, to which they agreed to sort my room out). I summoned for the manager to my room, no way was i going all the way back down to see her, and flatly refused to pay the half day charges, to which she agreed.

All in all, the property in itself is good. But the staff has much to learn, in terms of hospitality and service. Would i go back to the Hatten? I'm afraid not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family