“Live up to its reputation and more! ”

Amy Heritage Nyonya Cuisine
Ranked #78 of 730 Restaurants in Melaka
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 06-286 8819 phone number. No official web site
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

We read so many rave reviews and they are right. Food is delicious. It has the home cooked taste, flavorful and yet not overpowering. Chef Amy personally recommended dishes to us, she is very thoughtful to suggest dishes that complement each other. She is so sweet to make smaller portions just nice for two of us so that we can try more dishes. We really appreciate that, at other restaurants we could only have 2 dishes as they don't do smaller portions. The Fish in sweet and sour gravy is very delicious and fish is very fresh ! Thumbs up. We also love the kueh pie tee, Ayam ponteh and chap chai. Lastly, it is friendly on the pocket, not too expensive. She is truly a chef with a passion to share nonya heritage with her cooking.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Having read that bookings were recommended, I booked our lunch about a week in advance since we intended to go on Boxing Day. The man I spoke to was quite unfriendly, bordering on rude, and was not happy I couldn't give him a local mobile phone number. I explained I was not yet in Malaysia, and would let him know my local number once I arrived, which I did. He was no friendlier on our second phone conversation. However luckily I booked, because when we arrived right on time at 12.30pm there was a "full house" sign already hanging on the door, and a bunch of people waiting outside.
The restaurant is clean, air-conditioned, and plenty of staff on hand. They have traditional Nyonya tableware on display on the walls. We were promptly shown to our table and the menus in English with pictures were very helpful. An elderly gentleman which must have been the owner came over to take our order. I recognised him as the person I had spoken to on the phone. I have read previous reviews about him, and unfortunately must agree. He was both arrogant and dismissive, the only reason I have given a 4 and not 5 in this review.
We ordered for the two of us Tie Pee, Otak Otak, Belacan Kang Kong, Assam Fish, and Ayam Pongteh. He tried to discourage me from ordering that much, but we are big eaters, and I wanted to try their famous dishes, so I ignored him. Luckily, we were able to finish everything !!
Tie Pee - I had never eaten this before, and did not think it would be anything special, but I was wrong. It was great, cruchy, tasty, delightful
Otak Otak - the fish paste was nice and firm, almost like a fishball texture, but with lovely coconut and rempah spice taste. Wonderful
Belacan Kang Kong - my favourite vegetable dish, and they did not disappoint, very nice
Assam Fish - this was magnificent. The gravy was really something special. The elderly gentleman was worried I was ordering too much so he made a "small" size for us. Therefore, we had to share a piece of fish, and it was not enough. I could happily have gulfed down my own piece of fish, so I ended up guzzling down all the sour, hot, tasty gravy instead. Just magnificent
Ayam Pongteh - the only dish that did not wow me. If you have kids then this is a good dish for them. However, I like a bit of spice and chilli, and this dish was quite bland for my taste. Should have listened to my partner and ordered an alternative more spicy chicken dish
I finished off with a chendol. It was the BEST chendol I have ever had. It comes with ice cubes not shaved ice, lovely thick coconut santan and gula Melaka with plenty of chendol. GREAT !!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Came here with family, who had local friends that took us here. Met Amy herself who came out to personally take our order AND cook the food.

Order everything, especially the 'tophats' and the excellent curries and meat dishes. My goodness, just a fantastic meal that I didn't want to ever end...

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Once you sitted down and having your food, the owner will make sure you have a peace of mind while enjoying what you eat. Superd recommendations by the boss. Thanks.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A bit pricey but worth the visit.
The location is not that convenient if you are staying at jonker street. However, it's worth making a visit down here.
Advance book is recommended