“interesting find”

Mods Cafe
Ranked #23 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Melaka
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed August 10, 2013

while walking through jonker st, we passed by this cafe and it looked really rustic so we decided to go in. The decorations inside were really nice. Aside from the old sch van, they had many other things that brought back many memories ( like old tvs, cashier, clock, bicycle and plenty of vinyls..) My drummer friends was also excited that the seats were homemade cajons but a pity the boss told us bluntly not to hit it. Not in a very polite manner. But overall was really a gd place to chill and we snapped alot of pictures.

As i do not drink coffee, i had a limited choice of drinks to choose from but it was understandable. However, i did hear my friends say that the coffee was a little too sour (too acidic). There is a 1 person per drink rule and even though i did not find it weird, it was not very nice for ppl who did not drink coffee or the other drinks that they offered.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I visit this place just because I saw it was recommended by one of the local magazine.

I'm not surprise that they have no welcome greeting as in this is a very local cafe which I cannot judge them with some common cafe standard. I'm so shocked when I saw there was a notes (written by hand) placed on each tissue box, stated "Min 1 Drink Per Person", then I refer back to the menu, I wonder, if the person walked in just wish to enjoy the cake/pastry (they called it "Homemade Food" stated on the menu), and he/she doesn't take any coffee/chocolate/soda, the customer still can dine in or he/she only can take away? This is a bit rude, no matter the customer dine in or not, as long as they walked in to your shop, they always your CUSTOMER.

Second, one of the guy who I think he's roasting coffee bean inside one of the room which customer can see him over the glass window, as a coffee lover, I'm interested on the machine he's using, so I decided to take down the photo for the machine. At the same time, the guy give me a sign of NO-PHOTO from the inside of the room. I try my best to look for the any sign shows that no photograph allowed in any corner of the cafe. THERE IS NO SIGN at all. So I have my rights to take any photo as I liked.

As tourist, we wish to try out the food which we packed from the street and eat inside this premise. As in we cannot see any sign showing we cannot take outside food, we started to eat the Popia (spring roll) which we bought from the street. I'm so thankful the waitress to inform us that actually they not allow outside food, BUT I wish she can bring this out in the proper way, because they way she present it was a bit TOO RUDE.

The coffee here is OVER PRICE and not into the standard, no matter the quality of the Bean, which is the most basic for a cafe to get good bean, and the quality of the service as well.

2  Thank David_Yong83
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Not worth the money spend and unfriendly staff.

Lousy service that force customer to order min 1 person per coffee or dessert (which stated at the wall with small paper notes)...

Overall, not worth..

2  Thank Yap Y
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a really great place: They roast their own coffee, British style design, friendly staff with some real knowledge about coffee. I travel a lot and try to find the best coffee places around the globe. This one really deserves a visit! Espresso, Lattes - the coffee menue is not too big, just about right.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This coffee shop has a mediocre coffee and yet it set minimum one drink per person. That's absurd for me!! Nothing much inside. Well, go for urself if u don't believe...