“Expensive but delicious”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Oulu, Finland
“Expensive but delicious”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Far East Cafe is a warm little place just off Jonker Street. They place the menu outside by the street so that the expensive prices don't come as a surprise, although there are a couple of cheaper dishes on menu here as well. All of their pork dishes are excellent! I've also tried the black pepper chicken here, and though it's quite good, it's not the best in town.

Far East Cafe has a Vietnamese cook but the Nonya food here is also superb. The service has always been very friendly for us (especially the Vietnamese waitress), so I'm a little surprised with the reviews here on Tripadvisor. One night the owner's father, and elderly Indonesian, even shared a few beers with us on the house and spoke about his life. It was quite interesting and one of the best experiences in a restaurant I've had so far.

Having stayed at Malacca for about two weeks now, Far East Cafe is one of our three favourite restaurants (along with Pak Putra and How Kuai) in town. If it weren't for the high prices, I'd visit it every day.

• Visited June 2012

Wellington, New Zealand
“Overpriced rubbish”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I was hoping for some authentic food here and ordered an aubergine sambal which they warned me was "very hot". Fair enough. I have had sambal before and I am aware that Malaysians consider it too hot for foreigners but I like spicy food. I don't know whether they decided for themselves that I couldn't handle it or didn't know what I was ordering because the dish had no chilli in it at all. The chicken dish I ordered was like some kind of flavourless chicken stew so all in all pretty rubbish. But then I should have known better than to go to a place full of tourists....

• Visited July 2011
ho chi minh city
“AVOID!!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Far East Cafe is on a street with some fantastic little places: Nancy's Kitchen and Eleven Bistro. My advice would be to avoid Far East Cafe and go to one of these instead. Far East cafe had terrible service and poor, overpriced food and drink. All four people I came here with wre disappointed by everyting we ordered.

• Visited October 2011