“Good Service”

The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka
Ranked #26 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Bravo Housekeeping and Front Office team. You have change my thought towards you.

In the beginning I am skeptical to book my stay here and ask for special request due to bad experienced with the sales team.

This time other team have exceed my expectation and they well deserved to be praised.

Breakfast items and the services need to be improved. It's not match the theme of the hotel. It's disappointing.

Hopefully thing will improved on my next stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ptravelfan

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had a pleasant 1 night stay for a family room for 4 person. The room was spacious and comfortable. Nice bathroom and comfortable beds. Location of the hotel is good, within 10mins walk to Jonker Street and has ample parking lots. The staff from Reception, porter , and waiter are friendly and helpful and courteous.

The not-so-good points : The WiFi was bad in our room, but the Reception did offered alternative method to resolve the problem. The hotel build up is big as compared to many Malacca hotels, but the bar was closed ( due to removation) and there was no alternative in the hotel itself. Not a big problem though as we can still drink in nearby Jonker Street.

Overall, we had a nice stay in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Booked three Riley rooms so we were able to compare the inconsistencies.
The rooms have a musty smell that one would associate with an older budget hotel but this is supposed to be a new boutique hotel so I don't know why that is possible. The interior design and grey lights make the place seem miserable.
Two out of our three rooms had two grey spotty towels whilst one room only had one grotty smelly towel. Hot water must be turned on by an external power switch outside the bathroom door and you must wait 40 mins before there is hot water. Then to fill up their jacuzzi it takes another 45 mins otherwise the jets will spray water all over your face.
The tv had NO sports channel so you can understand our upset since it was World Cup season.
The breakfast in the morning was extremely disappointing as the only eggs option was the very runny scrambled eggs. A 'boutique' hotel normally means an intimate hotel where there aren't many facilities but what they have is all top notch. Breakfast should be semi a la carte if they don't want to provide as much variety to their guests not this budget hotel spread. If I paid the price of a budget hotel I wouldn't be so disappointed but I paid for a boutique hotel but got a budget/business hotel.
Please do not waste your money here there are so many more nicer real boutique hotels in Malacca with cheaper rates or stay at an actual five star hotel that is at a similar pay rate.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank CondeNastTraveller88
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My stay was seriously impacted by a defective air conditioner that only worked weakly at the beginning of the night and quit entirely halfway through. Made sleeping very difficult. I stayed two nights; had planned to stay longer, but changed my mind.

The building is pretty from the outside and it is set back from the road. White colonial style, very striking design. The lobby was spacious and the staff were friendly and welcoming. Helpful bellman.

The room itself was large and sparsely furnished, as though some of the furniture had been removed. Storage space for clothes and luggage was minimal. It was not a beautiful room.

Bathroom was fine, with an excellent shower. I had breakfast one day and thought it was disappointing. A large dish or precooked scrambled eggs was just set out instead of having someone to prepare them to order. The next day I had breakfast outside on my own.

The second day I made a fuss at the front desk and housekeeping brought me a huge fan. That helped cool the room overnight, but was extremely noisy. So a second night of poor sleep resulted.

Felt sorry for the staff. The were kind and were doing their best to cope with a tough situation. They did what they could. Management needs to step in and repair the essential infrastructure of this place.

I think Sterling is overpriced for what you get. And the air conditioner problem is totally unacceptable. I would not return or recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank ZhongguoKM
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I read about this hotel from Tripadvisor with good comment and decided to spend a night at Malacca in order to get a way to go back KL.

I had driving with guide of Google Map and finally found the place... Suprise... the outlook of hotel is granted and like Palace (my own feeling la...). This already attractive me to further explore what another suprise for me in next.

After checked in, I have booked with Superior Room with MYR510 total, Yes expensive cause this is only Bontique categories but we were travelling during School Holiday. So, no choice. Ok, another suprise for me! The Room is BIG and CLEAN, bed is comfortable (King Bed) +++ Toilet floor and wall are made by pepple wash, it is really nice looks and feeling... some more there is Jacuzzi available. Overall, the room facility is match with the money I paid during the school holiday, satisfy!

Breakfast, you cannot compare with HOTEL quality since this is bontique category. However, the price we paid seems not match and this is what I complaint for myself. They provided not much choices for us and I just took a bit noodle & eggs. Some more the coffee not taste. I have checked back with the price if during NON Peak Days, there is about MYR260++... I just feel this is not consider worth also if compare with Hotel breakfast...

Conclusion, I will go back this hotel with my family, nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank ivanchan_27
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Hotel is about 5-10min walk from Jonker Street. The famous Capitol Satay Celup is just a stone throw away.
Excellent service they have there. Staff is friendly and helpful. More importantly, they never fail to put on a smile. Two thumbs up! Keep it up!

Room is a bit pricely but nice and clean!
Need to improve on the breakfast though.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Janisheng
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Our friends had booked us at this newly opened boutique hotel. It has a very colonial outlook. Rooms were decent. I had one twin room and a double room. Unfortunately the aircondition in the twin room was very poor. But the service from the staff made up for the bad experience. They put a powerful cooler in the room which helps. Breakfast was good too for a boutique hotel. Nice environment and smiling staff. It's situated near to Malacca's little India and about 5 to 8 mins walk to the famous Jonker street. If you have a family of 5 they do have a family room that' fits but it's limited so need to reserve earlier or call to check.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family