“New hotel with good service but a bit noisy”
Review of Marvelux Hotel

Marvelux Hotel
Ranked #42 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“New hotel with good service but a bit noisy”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed here for one night only for a short getaway from Kuala Lumpur. The hotel is new so its clean and the rooms are simple and confortable. The service was good with seamless check-in and check out. The restaurant downstairs is very well priced, with friendly staff and a good variety of food for lunch. No alcoholic drinks are served there so we didn't have dinner there. The breakfast was very dissapointing though. The hotel is only a short drive to the city centre BUT on long weekends the traffic is horrible so a lot of time is wasted driving. For busy long weekends I would prefer to be within walking distance of city centre. My biggest problem was that the rooms have poor sound insulation - I could hear the guy in the next room coughing, answering the phone etc. The sound from the corridors also carried more than what I would expect. I would recommend this hotel as a base to explore the city but it doesn't have many amenities and not quiet enough for a lounging holiday.

2 Thank Kholofelo D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night after the official opening. Hotel looks new and counter staff seems inexperience and does not know how to greet n smile. Rooms have no fridge and a open concept wall robe. Air con is a single unit and is very cold n powerful. As the surrounding area is newly develop, there is nothing much to see n do unless you drive to the city centre which is about 5-8 mins drive away. They provide free wifi but signal is only available at the lobby. Overall it is a no frills hotel n if you are looking for more stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank VinceVW
KL
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed in this hotel overnight on 19th December. Booked the room online and requested for a double bed deluxe and when me and my partner arrived to check in we were informed that our double bed request was not available and they only had a two single bed room available. Very disgruntling as I had booked the room two weeks in advance and specifically requested for what I wanted. Telling us that it was fully booked is not an excuse to turn down my advance request. Period.
Secondly, the lighting in the room is horrible. No doubt the wall colourings are funky and hip but to think that interior designers did not consider lighting combination is another minus point. Not reading friendly for sure.
The most disheartening thing was that the new YORK air conditioning is SO BAD. Weather that weekend in Malacca was scorching and we were not one bit comfortable in the room. With temp turned to the lowest (16 degrees celcius), it still felt stuffy and it is seriously a problem with the AC unit. Complained to the front desk and all they did was smile and said it will be looked into. Popped out to town hoping that someone will look into and when we returned it was still the same!
Breakfast was horrible. Utterly cheap stuff used to feed the guests considering how much the room rates cost.
Definitely would not consider this hotel during my next trip to Malacca. Many other hotels to pick from in town, the nearest to this being Holiday Inn which is about 1KM down the street.
Cheers.

Room Tip: Sorry folks, too disgruntled to even suggest this place.
2 Thank genericsoul

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

kulai, Malaysia
Reviewed November 22, 2011

The hotel is new and clean. The check in process is smooth and we were allowed to check in before 2pm. But the security staff in front of the lobby didnt seem to be friendly and he didnt offer to help us to push open the door to allow us to enter. he just sat there looking at us without doing anything

The room is not very spacious eventhough we are booking for 3 persons room. The room doesnt have tissue provided, the TV set is located at the side of the wall instead of at the center of the wall, it seems to be weird to look at the TV that way.

There is a small balcony for us to see the outside scenery. Because the hotel is located near to the Melaka strait, we can see beautiful scene of that strait. But I think it is better for the hotel to provide some chairs at the balcony or in the room so that we can sit and relax while enjoying the beautiful scenery.

The buffet breakfast provided by the hotel is just average. No much variety and the refill of food is slow.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms would be better because you can get a good view of melaka strait
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jfm9513
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I was there early November for a short vacation with my family. This hotel was actually recommended by our friends who had stayed there previously. So we were thinking, why not give it a try. But what I should say here is 'NO regrets'. After the check in process which was very smooth, we entered the family suite room. And wow... That's our first impression on the room. It's so so so clean and comfortable. My kids had a fun time playing in the room which is so spacious. The room comes with a set of sofa, safe box, fridge, free coffee & tea and 2 LCD TV which is so convenient for us. My kids watched their favorite channel while I myself had another tv all by myself, watching my sports channel without any disturbance. And not to forget, the shower is lovely with the right water temperature and water pressure. We had our dinner in the nearby chinese restaurant before heading to Jonker Walk (3 minutes drive) and river cruise during the night. One could find a lot of stuffs at jonker walk but remember to bargain for the best price. After a long walk, we headed back to the hotel and had a good rest.
The next morning, after having a good breakfast at the cafe next to the hotel, we visited the historical site (area nearby the stadhuys), went for a quick shopping at dataran pahlawan before checking out at 12 pm. Overall it was an enjoyable and pleasant stay for us and as we only stayed for 1 night during our last stay, we are now planning to go for a longer trip to Melaka and Marvelux Hotel will definitely be our 1st choice!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cherubin_KL
kl
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I had no problem checking in. The receiptionist were friendly and helpful. The price of the room was affordable of the rate RM148 nett for a superior room. The room was clean and spacious. The hotel also has transportation provided to send me to chinatown for free of charge. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel. Breakfast was simple and the nasi lemak was tasty. I would definitely come back for my next trip.

2 Thank KlBubbly
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I booked this hotel because it is new and Would like to give it a try. I have to wait for more than 20 minutes to get my key card at reservation though two officers were attending to me. They did not tell me why I have to wait for so long. Anyway I was in a good mood so I did not mind the wait but to think back, 20 mins was far too long.
The room was clean but there was no sofa and fridge. My guests have to sit on the bed when they visited me. The hot water was not working well. I turned it on to max for hot water n all I got was room temp water.
Overall the hotel needs to improve on customer service as I realized the staff hardly greet nor smile at the guests. Don't feel welcome at all. It's new but a cold hotel.

• Stayed November 2011