“Dirty, not well kept with poor service”
Review of The River Grill

The River Grill
Ranked #112 of 778 Restaurants in Melaka
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

After we were seated by a rather pleasant fellow, first thing I noticed was the table rocked quite badly, not exactly up to par for a hotel charging RM1000/night. Next no one came by to take our drink order. After tracking someone down they promptly messed up our drink order. I went to kill one of the several large and bloated flies buzzing around our table (we were seated inside near the kitchen) my wife noticed a green fungus growing under the placemat I had rolled up to kill the fly with. Do they even clean the table settings? Next adventure was the buffet. Not great selection for the price but the massive amount if flies buzzing around was pretty disgusting. The large fly population is an indication of the poor cleaning and food safe practices here. Next step... How to eat? I had to track down a server and ask for forks. When she came back with 2 but gave one to us and the other to someone at the table next to us I was somewhat vexed. You should have seen the look the server gave me when I asked if my wife could have a fork too.... Napkins were also another item we had to hunt for. I noticed the people at the next table had found a supply of bar napkins in a counter and were using them. Food was ok to bad, and finding the roast meat carver was an adventure. I noticed several ppl attempting to cut their own before someone came running to stop them. Even tho I live only 5 minutes from here I don't think I will be back.

3  Thank Hanerman

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Near the river. Great breakfast with variety of food, let you have much energy and a good start of the day. 5 stars service.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Casa Del Rio in Melaka for five days when smog from Indonesia engulfed us. So we had to hole up in the hotel most of the time and experience this new five-star hotel in Melaka. The location is very good but the food at the River Grill is out of sync with this very good comfortable hotel. Perhaps because we are Chinese and used to Chinese food!

One morning we chose "sweet corn fritters" or something from the main menu for our main dish and presto, the food came in one big plate. I recognised the omette-like pancake but beside it was a greenish muddy combination which looks like green tomato-juice. But good food must not be wasted and we consumed all of it except the greenish creamy thingy.

The breakfast spread comprise a number of cereals, a number of cheese and at least six bottles of different brands of honey. Then there are different kinds of tropical fruits among which were rambutans which appeared blackish, apparently kept too long. There were mangoes which the `attendant-chef' cut for us. I picked up one to see and it was too soft. For those who have eaten mangoes before, this one is already over-ripe and unpleasant to eat. I will pass it.

The fruit-juice counter consist of four bottles, two containing orange juice and the other two, water-melon juice.

There are some salads, but having eaten the main course, we were not about to eat anything else. We would give it a three-star rating. An international buffet could better serve the needs of travellers who may not be all from Europe!

However, for those, who wants to sit and enjoy the environment, the pot of coffee served on the table, can last a long time!

1  Thank Edyharto
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had high tea with jazz on Sunday afternoon. On the whole, the staff were very helpful. When I said I was vegetarian, they went out of their way to produce a special dish for me, which was very good. Where they need to improve is their wine list. It is more of a wish list. Of around 30 white and rose wines they had on their list, only 5 were available - and these the most expensive. They had obviously been in the cellar a long time and were getting too old. The sommelier was also less than helpful and seemed in a very bad mood.

1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have had dinner twice at The River Grill and we experienced all up's and down's.
+ Service is very friendly and helpful
+ We have enjoyed some great Malay dishes
+ The atmosphere when sitting outside is just great
- There is a wine-list with around 30 bottles, but at the end there are maybe slightly more than half really available
- Fish and seafood was during our visits not a good option (tasteless, old)
- You want to enjoy a dinner at the balcony to escape the aircon and then they put an air-con machine at the terrace !!!!