“we got over charge for the meal”
Review of Restoran Aunty Lee

Restoran Aunty Lee
Ranked #33 of 681 Restaurants in Melaka
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A family owned Peranakan/Nyonya cuisine restaurant that serves authenthic Nyonya food as prepared by Aunty Lee
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“we got over charge for the meal”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We ordered 7 dishes for 8 persons, all the food are tasted so-so only. one of the dish is fried fish with chili was charged at RM70+, which is too expensive!! We will come back here and go somewhere else as there are many good Nyonya food restaurant in the town.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank gladyscha

• Indonesian first
Malaka, Melaka, Malaysia
“"Worth the Wait"”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

As a Westerner' living in Melaka I rate Restoran Aunty Lee as my favourite. Food is always wonderful, delicious and fresh. No franchise rubbish served here. In defense of Staff we have always found them more than friendly and helpful. One thing to consider is the popularity of this Restorant, hence Booking ahead is best. If you want superior food waiting is required.

Restoran Aunty Lee is authentic Nonya unlike others. Enjoy the experience and remember you are in Malaysia where all things take a little extra time.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Kim R
Singapore
“Expensive food n ridiculous waiting time”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

One of my first few stops after a 4hour drive from Singapore. I called several hours in advance to book a table for my family of 8. The dshes had to be ordered in advance too. Definitely something challenging for me as it was my first trip to the restaurant.

As reminded countless of times, we had to be early. But upon reaching 10 minutes earlier, we had to wait another 30 minutes!

Service was understandably slow; there was only 1 lady who played the roles of a cashier, waitress, cleaner etc.

Food was oily and salty. I ordered the chincalok egg (oily) and chap chai (salty). The chicken was ok. I also ordered the fish (expensive) and flower crab (RM60 for 1kg). The crabs were not very fresh and it compromised the sweetness and texture of the flesh. I wouldn't recommend. We ordered 6 dishes but only 5 were served. Turned out that they forgot the prawns. So much for ordering in advance!

Total bill was RM210+. Definitely pricey for 5 dishes. Fish + crabs about RM110. So veggies + chicken + egg + rice about RM 100!! There are better options out there.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank doomslair
“I agree with the part on the tyrant server”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Our party of 10 waited sooooooo long for our food that night, and mind you, what you get to eat in the end probably isn't what you ordered. It's what they have left to cook.

It is that erratic. Tyrant server even overheard telling the chef not to cook such delicious dishes coz we asked for more rice and they had run out of it. Ridiculous.

Dont think I'll go back. Even if food was really not bad.

“Good food, idiosyncratic service”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were a party of 5, 4 tourists and 1 local who assured us this was one of the top 2 local restaurants in Melaka.

Rule no. 1: book in advance, not just for the table but for your ENTIRE order, because you will not be allowed to order extra without some sort of chiding; even then you'd be lucky to get just an omelette because Aunty has to cook for the rest of the people (who hadn't even arrived), we were told. Booking a table without specific orders of food doesn't guarantee you a table.

Next: you can BYO. They have proper wine glasses. Just don't ask for extra glasses for water unless you relish being scolded.

The food? It was good. The fried fish with sambal was particularly good. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The sambal was just right; not too spicy that it overwhelmed the taste of the fish. The sambal prawns with petai, the squid with black sauce, and the ayam buah keluak were also good. The chendol was excellent- the best of the 4 we tried that day.

Would I go back? I would probably check out the other restaurants in Melaka but I wouldn't rule out going back for the food & quirky service.