“Very nice with its price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oriental Riverside Residence Guest House

Oriental Riverside Residence Guest House
Ranked #14 of 206 Melaka B&B and Inns
“Very nice with its price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

excellent location, very convenient, 3 min walk to the night market at jocker street.
beautiful view next to the river, can hv beer at night with friends to chill out.
clean room and comfy bed.
and nice staff, very helpful...
Best of budget guesthouse .....

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

It is nice & clean guest house. Located just beside the malacca river, so it is easy to visit everywhere. Owners are very helpful & friendly. Price is reasonable.
マラッカの中心地のマラッカリバー沿いにあり、場所がいいです。共同キッチンから川沿いにも出れ、そこで寛ぐことも出来ます。オーナーのワンとヤンは、親切ですね。掃除も何度もしているようで常に清潔ということを保っているようです。僕はやや長居をして12泊(1泊は満室だったので他のGHを予約してくれた)しました。ほぼ自宅感覚になってきましたね。とにかく気楽でいいです。場所も中心地なので歩いて何処にでも行けます。オランダ広場からも近く便利。一人でもカップルでもOKですよ。お勧めです。

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This guesthouse for the backpacker who wants to get the best view in cheap price.
Back of the guesthouse in riverside. and then has bench you can chilled sit and drink at here.

If I have chanceม I will go back to this guesthouse
This Time I sleep in Single room which is quite good.

Room Tip: This Time I sleep in Single room which is quite good. Single room has window that can't see riv...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ahyshine
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The guy running it , wan, is really friendly and helpful.
But sorry to say the accom is not that great. It may but just because of our late booking, but the rooms at the front door are not worth RM50.
In hindsight it was not worth staying in chinatown. I think we could have got better value with a private bathroom in the jalan merdeka raya area.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in room 5, a double room on the second floor.

Paying only £12 a night we had no major complaints.

The owner is helpful and friendly. He helped us with our backpacks up the stairs, pin pointed sights on a map he provided and even offered to get our breakfast in for a small charge.

The room was situated right next to the bathroom so at times there was noise from other users. The bed was comfortable but the bed sheet was "scratchy" and a bit on the small side.

The bathroom is pretty clean but the colour scheme in there and in the bedrooms is a little old and unpleasant. Because the toilet and bathroom is together in one room, the floor, toilet and usually everything else including the toilet paper is wet.

Minor quibbles aside this is a good choice. The guesthouse is well located. You can sit outside and relax by the river and there is even a large kitchen area which you can use and a fridge for keeping your drinks cold.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Booked a 2night stay at this guesthouse over the weekend for a short escapade to celebrate my partner's bday. As we were both working on Fri, we could only take the evening bus frm Spore. Guesthouse owner called me to confirm on my stay and I told him I will be reaching past midnight. When we reach the guesthouse, it was locked (for security purposes). The owner came and check us in. He is polite and extremely helpful! I told him I was hungry, and he purposely go to 7-11 to buy me noodles! Bear in mind, it is past midnight. I am extremely surprised at such good & personalized service (even better then a hotel).

We paid him extra RM5 for two packs of nasi lemak for our bfast. Rented a bike from him that costs us RM8 for whole day. The guesthouse is clean and tidy, the bathroom is ok and the kitchen has the basic utensils that you would need. We got the third floor room and I am thankful for it cos it's less noisy (as both bathrooms are at level 2). The bed is comfortable and clean, aircon is good.

We went to another guesthouse to rent another bicycle (as this guesthouse only have one for rent, sadly). I saw how the other guesthouse looks like, and I'm glad I chose this as the owner asked all guests to lock the main door especially at night. I feel very safe and secured, and at ease with the whole design of the guesthouse.

Location wise, its just two streets away from Jonker Street. Its fairly near to Dutch Square and Mahkota Parade/ Pahlawan Mall. We cycle to both places and had a great time exploring Malacca on our bikes!

It's definitely a great place to stay! If I were to go Malacca again, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet rooms, choose third floor. :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank limelemonyy
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

As soon as I walked into the Oriental, I fell in love with it, and my fours nights there were nothing short of superb.

I had originally booked two nights, but after the first night, I decided to extend based on the good experience I had. The owner (Lin) and her friend (Hilde) were both incredibly friendly and welcoming and were more than happy to answer some questions I had about the local area and sights to see.

The room that I was in was very spacious, especially compared to the size of single rooms in other places (eg. KL) and included a bed, desk, chair, hat rack, and the pedestal fan.

I stayed during the week (Mon-Fri), and it was incredibly quiet and peaceful, I was unable to hear noise from either the street or the river, this, coupled with the calm and gentle nature of the staff, and the peaceful atmosphere of the guest house, made this by far the best place I've stayed at in my travels.

I am planning to revisit Malacca and will definitely stay at the Oriental on my return.

Room Tip: Single rooms have a fan only. This is sufficient as the (pedestal) fans are quite powerful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo