“Still amazed by this place”

Cheng Hoon Teng Temple
Ranked #10 of 145 things to do in Melaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I've been visiting this temple since I was a child with my grandparents, and my parents. On a recent trip back home, I made it a point to visit it with my parents. Built in 1645, it is decorated with mythical creatures, deities, animals and symbols. The altars have changed little over the years. What attracts me the most are the beams, sculptures, carvings and exquisite tiles. The figurines that decorate the roof are just so amazing.

During this visit, I notice there are caretakers/helpers who clear away the incense before they're burnt even half-way. I've no idea why they have to do this, is it to keep the tables clean? This temple used to have a nice, soothing scent of incense burning - of course during celebrations this offering can get too smoky - this time I went on a weekday and there were less than 20 incense burning yet the helpers were clearing them away. Now, there's not even a hint of that scent. Perhaps the current caretakers have forgotten the meaning behind burning incense?

The lavatories in this beautiful temple is in need of improvement.

1  Thank Xine139
There are newer reviews for Cheng Hoon Teng Temple

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Found the temple by chance on my exploration of Jonker streets & vicinty! Full of chinese related stuff and a nice visit with my family in tow. No fee required although we did leave a small donation in appreciation for the temple upkeep

2  Thank KLMystic
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The miniscrulptures of this temple are very artistic and full of historical value. very well preserved.

2  Thank Teikhin
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The sun was hot and we walked from starting point of Jonker Street to find this temple. It is rather located at the end of Jonker Street. This temple is an old temple. You can feel that most of the decoration and things there are antique. You may very familiar with deities but if you never seen Chinese ancestral altar/shrine, just go to the back of the temple, it has housed plenty of them. Though not crowded with people at that time, it was an interesting temple.

1  Thank Milky99
Reviewed June 7, 2012

A lovely small scale temple. Very serene. We bought incense and flowers from a seller in the street. The chinese worshippers were so friendly and helpful. We felt most welcome. Not the most ornate temple but well worth a visit for the atmosphere.

1  Thank Aberdeengirl