Casa del Rio Melaka
$75
Priceline
  • Pool
1,617 results
All reviewssorbetthe riverrooftop poolonde ondecinnamon soapjonker streetriver view roomturn down servicelittle touchessemi buffetcold towelsala cartebig bathtubbeautiful hotelceiling fanhard rock cafestone's throw
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The Casa Del Rio exceed our expectations on our 3 night stay. We had a terrific stay. I had read a number of reviews and was a little uncertain about what to expect. We arrived via a coach from Singapore (4 hrs) so we were tired and looked to get to our room and start our sightseeing. The check in, with the refreshing ginger sorbet, was friendly and easy. We were taken to our room and given a "tour of the room" and hotel which was helpful in getting our bearings. The room with a river view and balcony was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was large with a separate rain shower and bath with fluffy towels and bathrobes. The bed was comfortable with more than enough pillows. The room was quiet and we had no problems sleeping (older reviews complained about outside noise but there was none). The internet was fast and we did not get knocked off.
We added breakfast to our stay. The buffet plus an a la carte item was excellent. We tried both the western and the Malaysian dishes which we really enjoyed. There was plenty to eat and coffee was fresh brewed. We had 2 ladies taking care of us Fiona and Sofia, who were excellent. In addition they took the time to explain a little about the food and area.
We did not eat in any of the other parts of the hotel but breakfast was fresh and delicious.
The hotel facilities were well maintained and were an oasis in the city. Housekeeping was great as well. Rooms were clean and maintained.
The night before we were about to check out we had a problem with our bus tickets back to Singapore. Trying on-line to fix them became impossible so we went to the front desk for help. Arnita helped us with a backup arrangement until we could reach the bus companies in the AM. This let us sleep knowing we had arrangements. Early the next morning we went back down to the front desk and spoke to Ertain (I hope I got the name right). After a few calls we had bus tickets arranged and a taxi waiting for us when we needed to leave. Check out was quick except my wife needed to buy some things from the gift shop which slowed us down.
So overall I would highly recommend this hotel.
My only issues were:
We had decided to visit Melaka based upon various travel reports of a old quaint town with many interesting things to do. We stayed for 3 days and that was more than enough. Once you get done with the highlights your done, Heeren, Jonker, coral museum the Dutch Church, sultan house and Nonya museum. So except for the hotel as a destination I am not sure we will be back for a while.
Hot water- The bath water was warm not "hot" so if you want a hot bath you will have a problem. We were told that because it is a hot climate no one wants a hot bath.
Last issue is that the name tags for people are hard to read. Either they blend in with the typeface or they seem to face down. I would have like to have complimented others but I could not read their names.

Room Tip: river view room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wwtravelerRochester
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear wwwtravelerRochester

Greetings from Casa del Rio....your home by they river

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Malacca, we are very happy to see that you enjoyed your visit overall and that you have no problem to recommend.

Thank you for taking note of the staff that you encounters that helped to either assist or make your stay memorable, we will ensure to pass on your kind comments.

Hopefully we have the chance to see you again.

Casa del Rio Melaka

Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel is located right by the river in the old town so great for walking around. The pool is lovely - the photos on tripadvisor don't do it justice. We are staying in the Deluxe room and have a wonderful view of the river. The room is beautiful, very spacious with a big bathtub. The rooms are a bit noisy and have a few hidden trip hazards (stairs in odd places). There are a few things that let this place down in terms of service. Firstly, check-in didn't go smoothly. We arrived on a coach as Melaka is difficult to reach and were treated as if we were on "Coach Trip" not as individual guests, no one offered to take our luggage either until prompted. We arrived at 2pm but couldn't check in until 3pm. I appreciate it's CNY but this is a late check-in time, especially when they know what time coaches arrive. There were too many staff crowded around the check-in desk, not doing very much and the atmosphere was uncomfortable.Wifi passwords - they gave us one for one device for 24 hours though they didn't explain this and we had to call and press for more codes on both days. The cafe, restaurant and bar are ok. Food not great but pizza was fine. However, it really bugs me when places ask you to pay before you've even finished your drinks. Do they think we're going to make a run for it? Last straw was when we asked for late check out (willing to pay extra). Told hotel is fully booked so must check out by 12. Again, I appreciate it's CNY but given how quiet the pool and restaurant have been, I'm skeptical it's fully booked. In any case, they could have offered an alternative e.g. to wait in the lounge or even just seemed interested. All in all, this place is probably one of the better places to stay in Melaka but I wouldn't class it as 5 stars and having booked its sister hotel - Casa del Mar in Langkawi for Easter, I'm now considering whether we should book elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SKSCOT
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear SKSCOT

Warm Greetings from Casa del Rio Malacca,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting Malacca for Chinese New Year, thank you for your kind comments on the hotels pool and rooms, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the view and design of our rooms.

We have noted your points of concern and will ensure to share with the managers and staff to ensure that we improve and are always looking for communication from our guest to improve guest experience.

I am sorry that your room was not ready for you when you arrived at 2pm, been Chinese New Year we were running full with all rooms and I understand that you had your room by 230pm, our normal check in time is from 3pm, yet when the hotel is not running full we have no problem to offer guest an early arrival. Once Again I am sorry that we could not offer you a late checkout even if we charged, this is due to other guest waiting to check in, usually this is not a problem if we are not running full.

We do understand that we could have better explained this, usually we offer to store luggage and the guest can have full use of the hotel facilities without question, we will improve on this communication for our guest.

Regards to the settling of your beverage bill, this is a standard for us to offer guest to sign after each round at the bar, as this is a public bar we have this standard set, yet we do not practice this for the pool bar which is exclusively for hotel guest.

Just to note for readers of this review we are upgrading our password system, this upgrade will ensure that the system is user friendly for guest, this is expected to be upgraded within the next month.

We do hope that you continue to maintain your booking with Casa del Mar, I am sure you will have a memorable experience.

Kind Regards

Hotel Manager Casa del Rio Malacca

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Casa del Rio is a great hotel with probably the best location in the town. Situated on the river with wonderful rooms, friendly staff and good 5 star values. The breakfast is good with enough variety to choose from and the hotel pool and roof top bar is a must. The hotel also has a great spa and little gym. All in all a great stay!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike G

Dear Mike G

Greetings from Malacca,

Thank you for sharing your review, we are happy to know you enjoyed the hotel and staff, we hope to have the chance to welcome you soon again to Casa del Rio

Casa del Rio Malacca

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in Malacca which was more than enough . If it hadn't been for the hotel I think we would have tried to leave earlier . If you are over 20 years old don't bother with the market in Jonker Street as you can buy better things at a car boot sale !
We enjoyed the hotel and the staff were very friendly especially at breakfast ,the staff in the evening were a little clueless ,we had a couple of comedy moments with the service.
Watch out for the trip hazards in the bedroom ! In the bathroom there were a couple of tiny steps that were dark in colour so easy to miss and also at night 2 large steps up to the bathroom ,so a night light would have been good for us older people who can't make it through the night without visiting the bathroom !!
We had a balcony overlooking the river ,which was well worth the extra .
I won't be going back to Malacca ,as difficult to get to for not much reward, but if I knew someone going I would definitely recommend the hotel.
One last thing perhaps the hotel could put a No Spitting sign by the pool ,as one charming man was spitting over the side of the infinity pool in between swimming, which was stomach churning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Debbie B

Greetings from Malacca,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Malacca, we are delighted to know that you found the Hotel to be the highlight of your visit. We have noted your comments relating to the evening staff and better lighting in the room.

With regards to the charming man at the pool, we have brief the staff and lifeguard to keep any eye out for such examples and will ensure this will not take place, we do understand this is not pleasant to view.

Thank you for recommending the hotel, we hope to welcome you and or your guest to Casa del Rio soon.

Casa del Rio Malacca

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night in late October after suffering a long illness in Singapore. I had spent the previous two nights relaxing at the Equatorial and couldn’t resist checking in Casa Del Rio after learning it was a HPL hotel. I already had plans to visit the Lakehouse in the Cameron Highlands so I was excited to experience this level of hospitality.
Sadly, it was not a pleasurable stay. Check-in was fast was staff were very professional yet with a friendly touch. My room was beautiful. After 3 weeks in a Singapore hospital I had tears in my eyes as I walked around the room. Beautifully decorated, a bathtub big enough for two, one of the most comfortable beds I’ve had the pleasure of in Asia and good quality linen. I had a view of both the Courtyard and the river. I was in heaven and already debating lengthening my stay.
Next stop the pool. The pool is infinity style with a beautiful view. It was mid-week so I had the pool all to myself. Off to the bar I went and was recommended a cranberry juice. Perfect for a hot day. So perfect I had two. This is where it all went wrong. The bar man approached me later in the afternoon and told me there was a problem with the till and I needed to pay cash immediately as he was going off shift. I told him I had no cash and I would sign the bill. (I had checked in. I had given my credit card details. I was hardly going anywhere.) He said this was impossible, got annoyed with me and told me I would have to go to a cash machine in the city. He expected me to go back to my room, get showered from the suntan oil I was covered in, head into an unknown town to find a cash machine because the “till” was broken? What kind of hotel does not allow a customer to sign for a beverage? I was paying over $260 a night but was not trusted to pay a 30ringgit drink bill? Why did it have to be cash? Made all the more suspicious that he was going off shift and was demanding cash.
Off I went back to my room, stupidly to get changed and go to the bank, when my phone started ringing, and here again was the barman shouting down the phone at me demanding cash. The final straw was him knocking on my door minutes later where I finally had enough.
I went to reception, interrupted a staff meeting to make a complaint. A very tall manager told me not to worry, he would look into it and get back to me. He never did. I waited and waited for a response, not wanting to leave the room in case I missed him even ordering room service as I was hungry. A late delivered cold pizza later, I gave uo and went to bed more stressed than id been when I had arrived. This hotel needs to realise it only takes one person to ruin a stay. Being chased around the hotel and treated like a thief would incu

Room Tip: I would have given 4 stars for all except service. It will not allow me to rate on the iPad. Service would be a 0.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Koodleskoo
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Koodleskoo

Warm greetings from Casa del Rio Melaka,

Thank you for staying with us back in October, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the arrival experience and the room design.

We have taken note on your experience with our service and I do apologise for this short fall, I assure you we will address this to ensure that our guest enjoy a positive memorable experience.

We do hope you are feeling better and we look forward to have a chance to welcome you back to Casa del Rio.

Yours Sincerely