“Wonderful hotel, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa del Rio Melaka

Casa del Rio Melaka
Ranked #1 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful hotel, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Casa del Rio is a great hotel with probably the best location in the town. Situated on the river with wonderful rooms, friendly staff and good 5 star values. The breakfast is good with enough variety to choose from and the hotel pool and roof top bar is a must. The hotel also has a great spa and little gym. All in all a great stay!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike G
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Mike G

Greetings from Malacca,

Thank you for sharing your review, we are happy to know you enjoyed the hotel and staff, we hope to have the chance to welcome you soon again to Casa del Rio

Casa del Rio Malacca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Egham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in Malacca which was more than enough . If it hadn't been for the hotel I think we would have tried to leave earlier . If you are over 20 years old don't bother with the market in Jonker Street as you can buy better things at a car boot sale !
We enjoyed the hotel and the staff were very friendly especially at breakfast ,the staff in the evening were a little clueless ,we had a couple of comedy moments with the service.
Watch out for the trip hazards in the bedroom ! In the bathroom there were a couple of tiny steps that were dark in colour so easy to miss and also at night 2 large steps up to the bathroom ,so a night light would have been good for us older people who can't make it through the night without visiting the bathroom !!
We had a balcony overlooking the river ,which was well worth the extra .
I won't be going back to Malacca ,as difficult to get to for not much reward, but if I knew someone going I would definitely recommend the hotel.
One last thing perhaps the hotel could put a No Spitting sign by the pool ,as one charming man was spitting over the side of the infinity pool in between swimming, which was stomach churning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Debbie B

Greetings from Malacca,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Malacca, we are delighted to know that you found the Hotel to be the highlight of your visit. We have noted your comments relating to the evening staff and better lighting in the room.

With regards to the charming man at the pool, we have brief the staff and lifeguard to keep any eye out for such examples and will ensure this will not take place, we do understand this is not pleasant to view.

Thank you for recommending the hotel, we hope to welcome you and or your guest to Casa del Rio soon.

Casa del Rio Malacca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night in late October after suffering a long illness in Singapore. I had spent the previous two nights relaxing at the Equatorial and couldn’t resist checking in Casa Del Rio after learning it was a HPL hotel. I already had plans to visit the Lakehouse in the Cameron Highlands so I was excited to experience this level of hospitality.
Sadly, it was not a pleasurable stay. Check-in was fast was staff were very professional yet with a friendly touch. My room was beautiful. After 3 weeks in a Singapore hospital I had tears in my eyes as I walked around the room. Beautifully decorated, a bathtub big enough for two, one of the most comfortable beds I’ve had the pleasure of in Asia and good quality linen. I had a view of both the Courtyard and the river. I was in heaven and already debating lengthening my stay.
Next stop the pool. The pool is infinity style with a beautiful view. It was mid-week so I had the pool all to myself. Off to the bar I went and was recommended a cranberry juice. Perfect for a hot day. So perfect I had two. This is where it all went wrong. The bar man approached me later in the afternoon and told me there was a problem with the till and I needed to pay cash immediately as he was going off shift. I told him I had no cash and I would sign the bill. (I had checked in. I had given my credit card details. I was hardly going anywhere.) He said this was impossible, got annoyed with me and told me I would have to go to a cash machine in the city. He expected me to go back to my room, get showered from the suntan oil I was covered in, head into an unknown town to find a cash machine because the “till” was broken? What kind of hotel does not allow a customer to sign for a beverage? I was paying over $260 a night but was not trusted to pay a 30ringgit drink bill? Why did it have to be cash? Made all the more suspicious that he was going off shift and was demanding cash.
Off I went back to my room, stupidly to get changed and go to the bank, when my phone started ringing, and here again was the barman shouting down the phone at me demanding cash. The final straw was him knocking on my door minutes later where I finally had enough.
I went to reception, interrupted a staff meeting to make a complaint. A very tall manager told me not to worry, he would look into it and get back to me. He never did. I waited and waited for a response, not wanting to leave the room in case I missed him even ordering room service as I was hungry. A late delivered cold pizza later, I gave uo and went to bed more stressed than id been when I had arrived. This hotel needs to realise it only takes one person to ruin a stay. Being chased around the hotel and treated like a thief would incu

Room Tip: I would have given 4 stars for all except service. It will not allow me to rate on the iPad. Service...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Koodleskoo
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Koodleskoo

Warm greetings from Casa del Rio Melaka,

Thank you for staying with us back in October, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the arrival experience and the room design.

We have taken note on your experience with our service and I do apologise for this short fall, I assure you we will address this to ensure that our guest enjoy a positive memorable experience.

We do hope you are feeling better and we look forward to have a chance to welcome you back to Casa del Rio.

Yours Sincerely

Hotel Manager Casa del Rio Malacca
Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife surprised me on my birthday with a weekend trip to Melaka and a stay at Casa Del Rio. And we were both pleasantly surprised with this lovely hotel.

We had a river view room with a nice little balcony. The king-sized bed was soft, the bathroom complete with a large soaking tub and a separate shower, slippers, bathrobes all furnished and some of the largest bath towels I've ever seen. The room was spacious and nicely furnished. Wifi was free, turn down service came with a chocolate treat, everything was spotless. Registration was quick and efficient...and warm and welcoming. Lemon-ginger ice was presented, my car parked for me, bags were waiting for us in the room, we were accompanied to the room by one of the receptionists and presented the lay of the land. Service was exceptional, never intrusive. Little things like washing the windows of my car, presenting a special "birthday" cheese cake unannounced at one of our meals, warm smiles, being called by your name....all made you feel rather pampered.
We used the spa for a couple's massage....very nice, very professional. The pool is on the rooftop...a little chilly but refreshing. The exercise room is a bit small but nice equipment tucked into the space. The rooftop bar served happy hour specials....sip your drink and gaze off toward the Straits of Malacca. Breakfast was part of the room fee...you could order aka carte or buffet. Between us we had the eggs Benedict, cheese omelette, and French toast...all very tasty, plus lots of fresh fruits, breads, cereal, Asian choices. For dinner one night, we selected a candle lit meal in our room...about every 20 minutes a new course was brought up...we had the Australian Angus Ribeye steak (cooked perfectly), Caesar salad, vegetables, and for dessert, a Passionfruit parfait....very, very tasty.
I can't say enough about this hotel....we will return, we will recommend it to our friends. A special spot....close to the old part of town but quiet and secluded at the same time. My birthday surprise was truly a special treat in part because of this hotel and the fine staff.

Room Tip: Choose a Riverview....well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank busconi
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear busconi

Warm greetings from Casa del Rio Malacca

We are delighted to read your review, thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us, we are happy to know that we left a memorable impression of your special day, and we hope to share more with you.

Look forward to welcome you or your friends soon.

Kind Regards

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

The welcome on arrival is one of the best I've received anywhere. While registration was being done, we were offered iced ginger as we sat by the courtyard pool, in the shade. Check-in and check-out were both done smoothly. The room was spacious, elegant, and with a balcony over the river where it was fascinating to watch the action. Although there was absolutely no noise from the river or restaurant below, we did have constant loud noise at night through the adjoining door to the next room which we assume was a suite for groups or families. I suggest you request a room with no adjoining door! We spent Christmas here and all the facilities were delightful. I loved the way the hotel has been designed so that there are all sorts of lovely, quiet places to sit and read. Great rooftop pool. Food in the cafe and restaurant was good, although service in the cafe was ultra-slow even though there seemed to be plenty of wait-staff standing around. A few people at other tables complained each day that they hadn't been served, and we even had to get up and find a waiter in the end on one day. However, on the whole, we really loved this hotel where we felt relaxed and well pampered. While I wasn't overly impressed with Melaka - too touristy, scruffy and I've seen more interesting historical buildings and attractions in HK and elsewhere - this hotel more than made up for it.

Room Tip: Riverside are worth it for the view. Make sure you don't have a door through to an adjoining su...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Christine P

Warm Regards from your home by the river......

Thank you for your wonderful review of Casa del Rio, we are delighted to know you felt that we were the highlight of your trip, and that you found the welcome to be very special.

I have noted your comments regarding our Cafe service, I assure you we are looking into this and will ensure to do better.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The welcome was nicely done with a local peranakan dessert. Rooms were stylish and clean, with nice lighting. The staff handling the sundown service was professional;he even refuse a tip with a warm smile, citing he was only doing his job. To top it up, the hotel cleaned my windows and windscreen on its own initative. What a nice gesture! The only down side is perhaps the breakfast. While the choice of juice were great, the food were average and not appealing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fourgeeven
Dear fourgeeven

Greetings from Casa del Rio Melaka,

We are delighted to read your comments, and thank you for staying with us on your visit to Malacca.

We have noticed quite some mixed reviews on our breakfast, we are constantly working to improve our breakfast, please do send any recommendations to me and we will consider to implement, you can contact me on aarron.nelson@casadelro-melaka.com.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again.

Casa del Rio
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

from design, decoration, amenities, facilities until service it was perfect. i personally grade her as one of the signature hotel in Melaka. seamless with the strategic location they hold on to, just 5 minutes walk to Junker walk and melaka tourism area. CDR you are the best in Melaka ..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A_Nels0n, Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear CHEESELOKE

Warm greetings from Casa del Rio Melaka,

We are delighted to read your review of our hotel, plus happy to know your family enjoyed their stay at Casa del Rio.

We will look forward to welcome you again when you visit Melaka.

Best Regards