“Good choice for a short stay”

Jonker Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reading, England
“Good choice for a short stay”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed just one night whilst we touring Peninsular Malaysia.
Hotel in a great location on Jonker Walk. We had anticipated that road noise might be a problem, but actually Melaka was very, very quiet on a Tuesday night.
The room was quite attractive, with a surprisingly comfortable platform bed and a good bathroom with efficient shower. There isn't a great deal of storage, which wasn't an issue for one night, as we didn't unpack.
We were welcomed with a cool drink and our bags were carried up the stairs to our room for us.
We had paid in advance for breakfast, but this was not available to us as we had to leave at 7am for the next leg of our tour. Reception did suggest where we might get an early breakfast, but did not offer anything in-house. (Tea and coffee is available in the room.)

2 Thank Hotflop2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Don't even look elsewhere. I had a fantastic experience here. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Stayed over valentine day and they took care of sourcing a local florist for me and had flowers delivered to our room. Gave us drinks when we arrived while we were checking in. Doesn't seem like a big deal but I have never had any hotel do that for me. Now if you are looking for a peaceful retreat it might not be the location for you as it in the heart of the town. But this is the beauty of this place and exactly what we were looking for. If there is any major holiday going on you may find a few hundred people celebrating in the street right under your window as we did. But we loved this. It isn't the cheapest hotel but if you can afford to pay a little more it is worth it here. Room was clean and spacious and comfortable bed. We did have the largest room they had so I cannot comment on the other rooms. Without hesitation I recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Marco S
Singapore
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I didn't really travel all that much, but I have my fair share of hotel stays here and there (mostly at bigger chains). But Jonker Boutique has probably - by far - the best hotel staff ever.

I only booked the hotel for the weekend a few days before my intended stay, and knowing how popular this boutique hotel is, I was a tad worried that it would probably be already full. Nevertheless, I called, and made my reservation subsequently over email when a very nice lady told me over the phone that there are still rooms available, but I'd need to switch room after the first night as the second night is full except for one room left. Thank goodness!

When we reached on Friday evening (with Jonker Street closed and we had to drive into the private carpark from the back road), the back road was unfortunately blocked by a series of floats. It was when I got down from the car to request from help at the hotel, then I was informed that there would be a huge procession going on the next day, and the floats were parked there for preparation. Nevertheless, the male staff (I didn't get his name, sorry!) went out of his way to follow me to our car, guided us through, and even talked to the people handling the floats to get one of the cranes out of the way for our car to go through. It took about 20minutes or so, but we really wouldn't have been able to park at the hotel if not for his help. And throughout the incident, he was still all smiles to everyone. Very nice guy!

When we finally reach the reception of the hotel to check in, he proceeded to tell us where's good place for food, which are the more famous restaurants, which direction should we head for this or that, etc. He also readily answered any queries that we had. I've never met a hotel staff who so readily offered answers and tips and advices.

The next day, we had to switch rooms, and this time the reception was manned by two rather young staff. Both of them were of all smiles again, and the male staff gladly stowed our bags in their holding area and promptly placed them in our new room when it was ready, while we enjoyed taking in the sights and food of Malacca.

Both rooms (one Deluxe and one Premier Deluxe) were very clean, and very big. Deluxe already was rather spacious, but Premier Deluxe went a notch higher with plenty of room between the bed and the TV. I'm sure one could waltz with your partner right there if one wants to. Newspapers were delivered to the room daily. The mini fridge was empty, but cool enough (I've been to hotels where the mini fridge was actually warm). Towels were clean, beddings were clean. There ain't much TV channels, but with Animal Planet, Discovery Channel and Fox Sports, I think one would hardly be bored if for some reason you would be staying in your room instead of venturing outside.

Location is definitely perfect - right smack in the middle of Jonker Street, where the action is on weekend evenings. But that would also mean inconvenience (if you drive and reach only in the evening when road is closed) and definitely a little noisy (the Jonker Walk stage is just right in front of the hotel). Thankfully the onstage karaoke usually ends quite early.

The only two things I would lament about are:-
1) Mosquitoes. I have no idea where they come from since I did not open the windows... but on the first night I was bitten quite badly around 5am. 3 bites on my left arm, and 3 bites on my right. I guess the mozzie must have been pretty hungry, as it was desperate enough to bite even on my finger. I had to drag myself from the bed to slap on some mosquito repellent on my arms. (My legs are thankfully spared as I tend to cocoon myself with the blanket, leaving my arms and head exposed.) The itch subsided after a few hours, but the red bumps are still there as of now. On the second night, I simply just put mosquito repellent again before I go to bed and there's no more bites.

Perhaps the hotel should engage some pest company to fog their rooms every now and then? I remembered reading another TA reviewer about this mozzie issue too.

2) The pillows provided are a tad too low and soft, and there weren't any spare pillows for us to prop our heads up. It probably would be nice of the hotel if they could just provide 4 pillows per room, instead of the guest having to request for it.

However, these two issues are trival enough for me to still stick to my five star rating, as I certainly did not want to write off the staff's fantastic manners and attitude due to these minor issues. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends - but do remember the mosquito repellent if you are a mozzie-magnet like me.

4 Thank Rainne_T
Singapore
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Probably the best place to stay in Malacca if you want to be in the heart of the action and don't mind a little noise. Helpful, friendly staff and funky, clean rooms. Would be nice if breakfast was included. Large car park behind is very helpful for anyone driving. Not that cheap but you get quality.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mark8888
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Won't say much as the other reviews here sum it all up. Nice, friendly, independent boutiques hotel. Surprisingly spacious rooms for an older building. Clean modern decor. Helpful smiling staff. I asked them to sort out a taxi to KL which they arranged for RM180, which was RM100 less than quoted by the taxi company I contacted. Driver said "RM200", but that's fine and cheap. Nothing to complain about here and a very good choice in Melaka.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank DJSkippa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed in Jonker Boutique hotel in Feb 2012 and left my face towel behind. I left a message asking them to keep it for me and didn't drop by into hotel till two years later (Feb 2014). To my surprise, they have kept it for two long years. I was very pleased although it was just a face towel. I remembered the hotel provided baby bath tub for my little ones which are hardly available by most hotels. Would like to give my thanks to Ms Amy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Gracecmy
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Spent two night at Jonker and enjoyed it thoroughly. Staff were friendly and very helpful. They arranged for a trishaw to show us around city and lent us a cell phone to use. Their recommendations were appreciated and helpful. The room was clean, spacious with a very comfortable bed.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family