“Served frozen fish”

Ranked #135 of 756 Restaurants in Melaka
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on Level 3, the Seri Nyonya Peranakan Restaurant is designed to replicate an authentic Peranakan family home, giving guests an idea of Dutch, Portuguese, Malay and Colonial influences that make a Straits-born or Peranakan home unique. At Seri Nyonya Peranakan Restaurant, guests are welcomed by intricate traditional wood carvings, finely detailed porcelain wall tiles, as well as traditional Peranakan paintings and artifacts. Seri Nyonya Peranakan Restaurant is renowned for its authentic home-cooked meals. Amongst some of the classic nyonya favorites are Hee Peow Soup, Ayam Pongteh, Udang Lemak Nenas, Ikan Chilli Garam, Nyonya Chap Chai, Omelette with Cincaluk and Otak-Otak. Conclude the meal with delicious, mouth-watering desserts such as Cendol Gula Melaka, Ais Batu Campur or an assortment of traditional Nyonya Kuih's.
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Of the 10 or more Nonya restaurants we have dined in Melaka over the last 10+ years, this was the worst. We ordered 4 dishes: (a) fish cooked with assam and pineapple: from the first mouthful, we could tell that the fish was not fresh. It tasted awful. When we complained to the waitress about it, she even admitted that it was frozen fish that the cook used. (b) chicken ponteh: the sauce was powdery. I cannot understand why other restaurants like Amy's and Nancy's can make then thick but smooth. (c) fish maw soup: it was very plain and like what Simon would say, 'it was forgettable' (d)potato leaves fried with belachan: I suspect they were trying to save on belachan. It lacked the punch you would normally get for such a simple dish. Conclusion: Never again !

2  Thank Ceciltong

Reviewed December 30, 2011

The staff were zombie like. I am not sure if it was the language issue or if there was only one person allowed to take the order, but it was a weird experience. I found the food overly spiced. The others in the group were okay with it...but it is not anything to get excited about.

1  Thank salampeace
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I am a food enthusiast from Singapore. I love to visit Malacca whenever there is any opportunity for me to do so.. I have visited Ta Chi Nyonya House. For what had caught me and my family by surprise was the quality and irresistible peranakan flavor which makes me wonder why discover it now.. Environment and ambient was very good. Anyway, recommendation to all nyonya food lover should check this place out. My rating was 9 out of 10. So far, this is the best I've tried.

5  Thank Tessenz
Reviewed December 29, 2010

When I was staying at one of the posh hotels in Malacca, I asked for a recommendation for Peranakan food. I had expected this to be the top of the list, but instead I was recommended Nancy's Kitcken or Makko instead.

The butler told me that he would not recommend Seri Nonya as the standard of the cooking has dropped and yet remains fairly expensive. I am afraid that I have to agree.

The ambience was very nice and posh, decorated with many artistic works related to the Peranakan lifestyle and the waitresses were all dressed in blue Nonya Kebayas. The restaurant was cozy yet spacious and service was excellent.

However, the food was disappointing. I had ordered Chicken with Candlenut, Prawn Rendang, Nonya Chap-Chye and Nonya Popiah.

The candlenut was not mashed enough before being stuffed back into the nut cases and the sauce not flavourful. The sambal belacan was also not spicy at all although I could taste the pungent belacan.

It's a good experience to bring a newbie to Perankan food but is definitely not the place to taste true authenticity.

Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have tried Seri Nonya, Nancy's Kitchen and Ole Sayang. Seri Nonya is still the best nonya restaurant in Melaka! Her food is made of fine ingredients, and very deliciously cooked. Try the fish nuggets with chilli paste! It's heavenly! The ambience is quiet for great conversations in between meals and is very nicely furnished. Also, the staff is well-educated and well-mannered.

Must try!