“Waste of time”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were told by locals that this is the true place for peranakan food. We went around 11+am and had to seat ourselves as the staff were not ready. The food served were not hot and certainly not up to our expectations. As we looked around, we noticed most of the customers were tourists. Very disappointed meal. Will not go back again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We got here around 1+pm on a Saturday and there were a number of people waiting to be seated. I asked if I can get a table for two and the lady at the cashier simply said 'No!'. She was rude. She said she's not sure if they can serve us because they only serve lunch until 3pm. I could maybe accept her explanation if only she was a little apologetic about the situation (it being Saturday and people are waiting). But it wasnt even 2pm yet and already they gave a firm 'no'? I dare not think that I was turned away because I'm not chinese. In the end, I went to Kocik Kitchen and saw one couple that was waiting here before. Either they were also turned away or they heard me telling my friend that this lady was rude.

This incident was really not good for the reputation of Melaka as a major tourist attraction. I wish the people here could be more friendly towards tourists. I totally advise against going to this restaurant simply because the service was bad, bad, BAD. You can always find some other restaurants that serve nyonya food with better service in this area.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This restaurant is located in what appears to be an old peranakan mansion. The foyer has some antiques, including an old wooden palanquin box. The dinning area, while a bit loud and poorly lit, also has that authentic feel. The menu is very focused on just nyonya food (no burgers or pasta!) and they get it right. All three dishes that we had very full of flavor.

1  Thank MWBollom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was here as part of my package and so had the set lunch. I can't comment on the price as I don't know how much it was. But the beer was the cheapest i have had in Malaysia. As has been said elsewhere, I found the staff surly. The waitress who served the rice out of a large bowl gave me one spoonful, unenthusiastically gave me another half spoonful when I asked for more, and positively plonked it down when I asked for more! I felt a fellow feeling with Oliver Twist. There were four dishes. One was sweet and sour fish. I asked the waitress what kind of fish it was and she said grumpily that she didn't know. It was OK, though with more batter than fish. The prawns were tough. The chicken in the curry was so tough as to be uneatable. The boiled vegetables were tasteless. I was glad of the rice! Afterwards they served some watermelon and not especially appetising pineapple. I plan to recommend to the tour company I'm travelling with that they don't use this restaurant again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very reasonably priced, don't understand why there are tourists who said it is sooo expensive. However, it is just normal food with no real taste of nyonya dishes. Waiters are not friendly but you can just let them be. Ignore them and eat ur food. Overall, it seems like a restaurant with 10% walk in customers and 90% tourists brought in by local travel agent.