“Beautiful Nonya restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Beautiful Nonya restaurant”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

It is worth going to this restaurant for the atmosphere but the food is also pretty good. It has a beautiful entrance and dining area, with carved wood and tiled floor that has the feel of a Peranakan mansion. There is no English menu but on my visit the waiter was very helpful in interpreting the menu. I had a spicy fish dish plus a tofu and chilli dish. Very good.

Visited July 2012

“Good foods”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Been there for lunch on the weekend.

We ordered assam fish, rendang chicken and nyonya chap choy. But they placed a wrong order and ended to rendang prawns instead of rendang chicken. The foods were good, especially the assam fish.

But the service can be improved. Saw few tables not clean up immediately after customers left. The staffs busy with serving customer, and nobody bother about those uncleaned tables. Saw a man waiting there more than 15mins for the table to clean up. But the staff just asked him to wait.

Storage of menu. Once we seated, no menu given to us. Till hubby went to front desk and asked. I overheard 1 of the staff said no more menu. And she just grab from other table which I think the table was having 2 menus at that time.

Giving a chance again, I will back again provided not in a peak hours.

• Visited June 2012
Hong Kong
“Best meal I had in Malacca”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

To be fair, I went to Malacca on a day trip from KL and had lunch so it is the only meal I had there, however :

- The place is rather nice (not posh but in an old house with some old Chinese furniture in the entrance hall), the pity is that they covered the courtyard so the dining room is rather big but outside tables would have been welcome.
- The presentation is not up to European standards (e.g., they come with a huge bowl and serve you a chunk of rice out of it) so if you are high maintenance, forget it (two out of four of us did not like the place)
- I reckon this is cheap : for 4 people, we had 4 dishes (medium size), two cups of tea and two cokes (that's from the people who did not like the place : I guess that if you are a coke drinker with Asian meals, forget it) and we ended up paying 60MYR in all, which is the price of two beers at the Shangri-La in KL
- Every dish was somptuous in taste (once again, the presentation does not match the quality of the food), we had :

- Ladies fingers : crunchy with a flowery taste (slightly sweet sauce), I had never enjoyed this vegetable as much as that in my whole life
- Itek Tim : a duck's soup. The duck was not of special interest but the soup was very savoury with some really good quality pepper that made it spicy towards the end (the pepper tend to concentrate at the bottom of the dish) but really tasty at the start
- chicken : there are several chicken dishes, we chose the first on the list (I do not remember the name). It was delicious : although cooked for long (it was brown in colour : I guess it was a sort of slow cooking in sauce), it was very smooth in texture, absolutely not dry as you can expect from chicken not cooked to perfection. And the sauce was really nice, which was welcome on the rice (rice in Malaysia is not extraordinary so you'd better flaour it with the sauce)
- shrimps : again, I do not remember the name but it was in an orange spicy sauce, very nice as soon as you can enjoy spicy food. The shrimps themselves may have been slightly overcooked so the texture could have been better

Note that if you are hungry or you need more rice because the spices make you eat more of it than you expected, you can ask and they will come back with their big bowl

Conclusion : highly recommended if you wish to have a taste of Nyonya cuisine

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank ADAix
Singapore
“Peranakan restaurants in Malacca...so syiok”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Whenever in Malacca besides the famous Jonkers Street night market, the peranakan restaurants is a must must itinerary for me and my buddies. I don't know why I love peranakan food so in Malacca alone I always get my nyonya food cravings fulfilled to the max! Authentic still affordable can get nyonya signature dishes like ayam buah kelauk,ayam pongteh,itik tim and also my favourite udang masak lemak nenas. I never seemed to get enough of all...super delicious peranakan gourmet food.

Visited January 2012
“Nancy Kitchen”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Food was good. Ordered steam fish in nyonia style, chap cai, and a chicken dish. It was flavourful.
However, the restaurant lack of seats. about 6 seating for 4 pax and a round table for 8-10 pax.
It's a little small for a restaurant.

Visited March 2012