“Amazing place, fantastic owner”

Courtyard @ Heeren Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Geneva, Switzerland
“Amazing place, fantastic owner”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The place itself is well described: perfect location, great rooms in modernised Chinese style, wonderful service, yummy breakfasts. On top of that the owner (!) of the hotel took us, just like that, for a little tour of the city in his car... What a welcome! I highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Melaka!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michal123456

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Malaysia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The purpose of my 2D1N trip was to take two European guests of mine to visit the historical city of Melaka. I decided to book this hotel after reading all the rave reviews and I must say, I wasn't disappointed! The hotel was great for this purpose in every way!

1) Location - right at Jonker where all the quaint little shops are. Even though we went on a weekday when the famous night market is not open, there was still much to see and do, and many shops to visit in the day. It is also very near to the historical sites of Stadhuys and St Paul's Hill, which we walked to in the later part of the afternoon, after shopping at Jonker St. Not forgetting the newly opened Hard Rock Cafe, just a stone throw's away, which we went for dinner and drinks at night. The Melaka River Cruise is also walking distance. In the morning after breakfast and before checking out, we went to the Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum which was just a 1-minute walk away.

2) Service - from the moment I emailed in my booking, the service has been impeccable. I always received a response within half an hour of emailing them. A week before my trip, they sent me a reminder with directions to the hotel. Any doubts or problems I had, they dealt with really quickly. Upon arrival, we were also greeted with many smiles and all staff were incredibly polite and courteous.

3) Free parking right behind the hotel - this is extremely convenient for people driving from other states and know how difficult it is to park at Jonker area. The lots are also cordoned off by the hotel, which means you are not competing with the public or residents. When approaching the hotel, give Reception a call. Someone will come out immediately to hop into your car and direct you to their designated parking lots. Alternatively, you can park at their parking bay in front of the hotel, check-in, and then drive back out to the parking behind the hotel. And because everything was walking distance, we needn't drive out during the duration of our stay at all.

4) Breakfast - breakfast was included in the rates and was very good for a small boutique hotel. There was a wide variety of food to choose from - both hot/cooked options (like hashbrowns, eggs, toast, mee goreng, sausages, etc) and also cold/packed food (yoghurts, etc) as well as fruits and juices. It was more than enough and tasty! However, my European guests found the local, heavy breakfasts of rice and noodles not too appealing.

5) Hotel exterior/interior - the hotel is built into an old shophouse, so immediately you get a sense that you're stepping back in time. The decor and furniture is a great blend of traditional Chinese fused with modern design. The entire place is spotlessly clean and very warm and welcoming. There is a fountain beneath the stairs, which add to the very natural ambience of the hotel.

6) Room - because I was with my husband, we wanted an apartment-type room with a common living area but two separate bedrooms, so that we can hang out together with our guests in the day but have a more private sleeping experience. Hence, we booked the new Family Suite, which was a duplex. It had a lovely spacious living area, kitchenette, master bedroom with one Queen bed on the first floor, and a much larger bedroom on the upper floor that had 2 Queen beds and 1 King! There was one bathroom, but it had 3 separate cubicles in it - one with the toilet, one with rain shower, and one with bathtub and shower. It had a very sleek modern design. There was also a common sink area which was long enough for 2-3 people to use at one time, with large mirrors. The decor and furniture, like the hotel's reception area, was a wonderful fusion of both traditional Chinese/Peranakan and modern - splendid for our foreign guests who could experience a little bit of our local culture. There was a large flat-screen TV with many channels offered. The ambience of the entire suite was very warm and cosy. It was also really clean and comfortable. Amenities were also well-stocked, with plenty of drinking water, a hairdyer, toiletries, and a fridge. The air-conditioning also worked very well, with minimal noise. The traditional Chinese bed in the master bedroom which I slept in was super comfy!

There's nothing for me to complain about, really. Wifi was working well, too, unlike what many other reviews here had said. Of course, being such a good hotel, it comes with a price (literally). The hotel's rates are a little bit more expensive than others you can find in the area, but I truly believe it is well worth the extra. Everyone really enjoyed themselves and I would go back to Melaka just to stay here again!

Room Tip: Family Suite if you're travelling with 5-8 people! Very fun and conducive place!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dunmetiel
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just spent 4 days with my family at Courtyard @ Heeren. The overall comment is "excellent stay" although not perfect.

I echo the positive comments made on the hundreds of positive reviews. The service is excellent. The staff attentive and most courteous. The interior design is well thought-out. The people really go out of the way to ensure the guest have an enjoyable stay, and it shows.

We literally stayed in a historical Chinese house that we don't get to come across from a westernized city. The owner and the designer of the hotel work hard to preserve the culture and the "overseas Chinese"heritage.

The buffet breakfast is good, though not a great selection, due to the size of the hotel. I must say that we thoroughly enjoy the Hainanese chicken rice served during breakfast. The quality definitely beats what is served at those two very famous chicken rice places in the Old Malacca Town area. Coffee refill is prompt and quality quite good.

Why I say it is not perfect? The following are a few areas that I hope management can work on:

Mosquitoes. Everyone in my family of three got bitten by mosquitoes every single night during our stay. I hope hotel management can think of a way to work that out.

Staff needs to be more knowledgeable about the town, particularly restaurants outside the immediate Jonker Street area. One late evening at about 10 pm I was asking for recommendation for a congee or a noodle joint, the answer I was given was they are all close. When indeed one of the potential answer, which I later found out, should be "try Jalan Meleka Reya, but you need to take a cab over there".

Late arrival can be tricky. We arrive at close to 4 am in the morning, though I have informed the hotel that we would be arriving late. As a result we did not get to experience the "warm" and "lovely" welcome that the vast majority of the guest had come to experience. Let's just call it late arrival can be tricky.

Wifi is not just weak, but very, very weak. As expected the wifi strength in my room up stairs was weak, but the strength at the lobby was not much better. Please just buy a higher quality router or repeater.

Definitely an excellent stay. I must thank the staff for making this hotel so wonderful. Intan, Helene and Jester are helpful in making the reservation, in arranging transportation, etc.

I hope that the hotel can work out those little problems.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I think when i decided visiting Melaka. I like to visit Melaka as world herritages city. Chinese culture ( including a mixture of chinesse and pribumi culture) is think that we are talking about. And Jonker street area in Melaka which we can see all the chinesse culture i form of architecture, food, fashion and other things.

If you like to stay in the chinese environment and looking for convenience modern and clean hotel, i think this hotel could be one of your choosing list. This hotel gives you value for money at their rate 200 ringgit with breakfast and good wifi. All the main tourist destination almost locate nearby at the walking distance.

Not supprised me to knowing that this hotel awarded from Malaysian Architecture Intitute for their exterior and interior design.

I Agree that Courtyard @ Heeren aclaim as Traveler's Choise for byear 2012 and 2013.
Look like stay at the hotel and the huge photo studio. Yes! You can take your whole family photo in good position. Hehehe....

But. This hotel only can booked via hotel's website. At that time, i can't find this hotel on Agoda or booking.com.

I don't know why?

Room Tip: Only superior room and front deluxe room that have a view to garden. Others have no view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
manila, philippines
Reviewed March 31, 2013

this rating was a tough one to give. in general we had a good stay. the staff was excellent - our requests were accommodated. the breakfast is quite nice. and the hotel ambience most charming. the smell of lemon grass made for a lovely welcome, especially at the end of a long hot day.

we stayed in G3, and it was quite spacious. the bed was comfortable, nice big bathroom.

but we had to give this an average score instead of very good for the following reasons:

1. there were no closets. in the bathroom we had a few hangers for clothes, but that would also have been the only place to hang towels. so there is no dedicated space for storing clothes and in a room that big, it was quite perplexing why this was not allotted.

2. only 1 outlet to spare for everything we needed to plug. and only because we unplugged the scent thing. otherwise, in the whole room there were no outlets for us to plug computers, charge phones, etc.

3. housekeeping fixes up rooms in the afternoon only. very strange. so we went out after breakfast to sightsee then we came back to the hotel right after lunch because it was too hot out. our room was in exactly the same state we left it despite hanging the "please make up room" sign outside. it was mildly unpleasant and we asked about it and they said their schedule is in the afternoon. so we had to tell them not to come into our room as we were there. to be fair, we went out again around 4PM and told them to fix up the room which they did. but it was really odd and not fun to come back to a messy room.

4. agree with the other reviews that if you're on the ground floor, the sounds from the room above is too loud.

overall, this hotel is definitely worth staying at in Melaka. we'll even recommend it, keeping in mind the things that need improvement. they are small things, that is true, and the overall experience is quite good. but the slips are a little unmindful of a traveler's convenience and that can definitely still be made better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank apester
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The owners of hotel really thought about serving the customers. Starting from check-in to being courteous, they do it right in this small but chic boutique hotel. It's right behind the middle of everything and the rooms are comfortable with good facility. The morning breakfast is decent but the ambience and calmness are more the winner. If you are driving there, once you find the hotel, hop in for a hotel staff who will take you to the "car park" which is right behind the hotel. Definitely well recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Malaysia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my second time trying boutique hotel in Melaka. The first one goes to Hotel Puri. Now I booked another short stay to Melaka at Courtyard.

Check In :
Was smooth. Welcome drink was served and I guess they lack of cold towel as the weather are very hot. Lobby was very lovely with full of antique goods.

Room :
Our room was F05 with only queen bed. I thought when booked a deluxe, it must be King. Reservation people there mention if people booked at request King, then they will allocate the room to the person who request it. Our room was very comfortable with bamboo theme however if you are expecting privacy of bathroom, you are wrong.

Breakfast :
At their cafe in the opposite building of the hotel. Quite tasty with Chicken Rice served. Its quite good.

Staff :
Was lovely, they are interested to tell you the story of the hotel when you asked.

Overall :
This rating would go 5 star if King bed setup in their Deluxe room.

Room Tip: If you requested Deluxe, make sure you told them you want King bed configurations.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends