“Nice and friendly”

Ranked #8 of 210 Melaka B&B and Inns
Nimes, France
“Nice and friendly”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this GH, a few minutes walk away from Chinatown.
We had an A/C room with private bathroom @ 85RM per night. The room had a window and the street might be noisy for some people till late. The place is really clean, shoes not allowed inside. Breakfast included, huge shared area with sofas, books,DVDs, wifi, fully equiped kitchen, free tea and coffee all day... Chua is very friendly and happy to help you enjoying your stay. Great place

Room Tip: Street can be noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We recently spent five nights at Old Town Guesthouse and we both agree that this is one of the best places we have stayed during eight months of travelling Asia.
We'll start with the manager Chua. He is an extremely friendly and caring host. He was always looking out for his guests and asking if there were any improvements we could suggest to make our stay more comfortable. He was especially kind when my girlfriend had some nasty bites across her arm and back and helped to direct us to decent pharmacy and he kept checking to see if she was feeling better (the bites occured in Penang!). On our final day a fellow guest celebrated his birthday. Chua bought a cake and invited all the guests for a little breakfast party! To top things off, we had told Chua that we would soon be visiting New Zealand and he provided us with a brilliantly detailed tour of NZ that he had planned to undertake. We shall report back!
The guesthouse is extremely clean and has a number of rooms at different rates. We took an aircon room at RM65 per night. There are a number of showers and toilets and despite the guesthouse being busy we never had to wait to use the bathroom facilities.
There is a fully equipped kitchen where you can make your own meals and help yourself to free tea and coffee all day, a real rariety in S.E Asia.
There is a very comfortable lounge area with a bookshelf crammed with novels and travel guides. As well as this guidance there are numerous brochures and leaflets regarding attractions across Melaka.
Other pluses: strong wifi, free breakfast, good location, laundry and free dvds.
It is impossible to find a fault with the place and we advise anyone visiting Melaka to consider Old Town Guesthouse.

2 Thank Macindale
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This guesthouse offers excellent value for money. We stayed in an ac-room with an extra bed for our daughter for only 85 Ringgit per night (including a light breakfast). The room was also absolutely clean and the lounge and kitchen area is big and nice. Our 2 year old daughter enjoyed all the space to run around and play very much. The owner Chua is a really nice person and gave us good travel advice. He also organized bus tickets for us at no extra charge. I also enjoyed very much chatting with him in the evening. Thank you very much for the great time we spent there. This was the best guest house on our trip to Malaysia.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank thegreatchaiwallah
Paris, France
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This guesthouse is great value for money.
Rooms are clean and the owner (Chua) is very friendly. It feels as if you are at home.
Chua will advise you on what to visit, where to eat and help you with taxis...

We stayed there for 2 nights when he was doing some works to the guesthouse during the day. It seems he was doing it up so the place should be even nicer in the future.

We did not stay in the front rooms with private bathroom as we told the owner we wanted quiet rooms and he told us the more expensive front rooms where a bit noisier. It is nice to be told not to take the most expensive option in order to have a pleasant stay.

To sum it up, clean, good location, good atmosphere, friendly owner. We liked it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nico_Mag2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is the same with my house, beautiful, clean, with free kitchen, computer, wi-fi, library with lots of travelling guid books, TV with lots of movies, ...
I should say the most important part for me was the friendly owner and nice area that I forgot I'm not home, not far from my family! I know that this place will always be the first choice for us in Melaka!

1 Thank Maria H
Chofu, Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I wanted to stay in dorm room but they didn't let me stay. He frequently told me it's not safe for woman solo traveler like me to stay in dorm room. Which is insane because there was no other guests. And he press on me to stay expencive room which I don't want. And the price he told me was totaly defferent from the one on their website so I represent it then he said it's a old price. I stayed in cheapest room he could offer for me besides dorm room (He never told me the current price for dorm room) which is twin fan room. And he told me the room is facing very noisy street so I better stay in expencive air-con room (I refused). But it was quiet enough.
All those interior and nifty small notes all over the hostel was so nice and I didn't feel those are his job at all. I had really strange feeling about him so I told him I stay for only one night (It was too late and I was tired to find somewhere else). Then he suddenly said that the guests have to stay for 2 nights minimum. (He never said that until then. It was obvious he made up the rule at the moment.) But I didn't take it anymore and checked out early in next morning.
Everytime I pointed strange thing he says, he gave a big sigh and insolent smile then said defferent things.
He told me so so many times that he doesn't concern about money but my safety. Which made me believe that he only concerns about money.

The room was clean. I could feel that this guesthouse USED TO BE really good as other reviwers says.
I talked to the next guesthouse owner (Rooftop guesthouse. this one was very nice), how wired The old town guesthouse was. Then they told me the former owner was French so it's obviouse thet owner was changed recently. I wanted to stay with the former owner.
This one won't be a good guesthouse anymore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AzusaSakaguchi
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The owner of the place is really helpful and happily introducing local specialities. The place is clean, rooms are quite wide and two lounges offer plenty space for all quests. Location is very good if you want to be a little bit outside from touristic areas, but still a small walk away for going sightseeing.

Best wishes from Estonia!

• Stayed March 2013