“Authentic place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 101 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Hurwenen, The Netherlands
“Authentic place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. It is a wonderfull old house, very authentic with a good atmosphere and a nice garden.
This garden with a gardenhouse is great to relax in, we could pick mango's and drank mint tea with the owners, who are very friendly. BUT, be aware, that the walls in the house are paper thin, so there is quite some noise nuisance from the other guests. There is a houserule, that it should be silent after 9.30 pm.
Unfortunately we had some very inconsiderable fellow guests in the room next door, who came in after 11 pm with yelling and screaming kids, who kept jumping on the bed and a mother who had a long, very loud skype conversation with her relatives in Europe. We could hear every word of it, even the replies. The night after, some girls came in at 12.30 am and had a very long and loud conversation in the lobby, next to our room. I think the owners should see to it that guests compliance with the rules.
Furthermore, the breakfast was poor toast, cornflakes, coffee, tea and some greasy local snack and fruit, which were not enough for all the guests.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank idm68

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Came here during chinese new year with parents. I thought it was those home stay as in overseas, so I booked a double room with extra bed. Upon arrival, it was in fact an old kampung house refurbished into guesthouse with few ensuite rooms.

Our room was at the back part of the house, which was very small and stuffy with no windows (we tried to open door for airing but too many mosquitoes) so we could only turn on air con all the time. That means it was very unpleasant every time after one of us had bath or poo. The toilet was even smaller to allow us to hang clothes so my parents had to step out of room after I bathed so that I could dress up.

The map given to use said it was just minutes walk to jonker (no need drive as it would be very packed in weekends, we were told) but in real time, it took almost 30minutes (my aging parents couldn't walk fast and far especially under the scorching weather), poor them. When we went out again at night, my dad already insisted we must drove because his leg was aching.

We slept ok that night, but under constant noises and walking sound and mosquitoes (the wooden walls were not sound proofed so not suitable for light sleepers like my mum).

The guest house provides breakfast n tea but my parents did not eat because the roti was cold and the kitchen was quite packed (they were not used to guesthouse type) but our most unpleasant time came when we checked out. Our car parked at the compound was scratched all over badly by the chickens there. The host apologized though (but my car was in deep scars now as the scratches stayed even after I sent it to expensive polishing. ..sigh). So if you are thinking to park car there, beware and pick the safest spot.

P/s:the guest house is generally behind equatorial hotel, so it is not considered in town centre.and the walk through the lorong to and from the place is quite dark and quiet, so put extra attention and don't walk alone.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Having arrived in Melaka after a long bus journey, apa kaba was the ideal place to stay. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. Really lovely people who seemed genuinely interested in their guests.

Lovely rooms with air con and home made breakfast. One of the only authentic/traditional breakfasts we have experienced while travelling.

Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Riceonriceonrice
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

This homestay is one of the best i've ever stayed. Very friendly staff. Aircon and a hot shower are a big plus. Recommended for everyone, especially for families!!
The breakfast is simple but sufficient to kick off the day. There is a fridge with some cold beverages and a nice place in the garden to sit down and enjoy the fresh mango's just came falling down from the trees. If you're travelling by car you can park it in the garden. The homestay is very hard to find, so call in advance!

Stayed July 2014
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a clean, air conditioned and friendly homestay within close walking distance of the main attractions. Our family of 5 (children aged 10,9 and 7) arrived hot and tired and were given a cold water and settled in quickly. There is a pleasant garden to relax in and the setting is tranquil. Bonus to have inter-leading rooms. Local breakfast provided and washing done for a reasonable price. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jandhfm
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I can not say strongly enough how disappointed I was by this place. After all the good reviews, I expected a delightful home stay experience. Sadly, my experience was the worst of all my travels. I've spent almost a year wandering SE Asia and never have I been treated so poorly.

Upon arrival I thought the place was ok. Overpriced for what you get. I like basic and I always travel cheap. Been traveling backpacker style for well over 15 yrs now. I like the quirky and somewhat shabby places if managed well. They can at times be charming. This place was not. I was just starting to somewhat accept it's overpriced-ness until the experience I had today. Then it all changed. Today I had the worst customer service experience of my life.

My wife and I had left our room around 11 am for a walk thru Little India and some lunch. Which was fantastic, by the way. This after we had spent all morning chatting with the guy at reception about the best way to get to Gemas the next day and about laundry and what not. I made it very clear we were leaving for Gemas the next day. We had a great day wandering the old town and little India and we were nice and hot and tired by the time we returned to our room. Very much looking forward to some down time before dinner. We were met by management at the gate and informed that all our belongings had been moved out of the room and our room given to someone else. They had overbooked and didn't have anything for us. We found all our stuff unceremoniously dumped in a pile in the common area, for all to pillage at will. All our valuables completely unattended. It was almost 4 pm and we had no place to go. It was a holiday and had little chance of finding another room. I am still not sure if I have all my belongings. They could have easily stolen from me and I won't know til I go looking for whatever they took.

They took no responsibly for their mistaken overbooking. Never apologized and simply kicked us to the curb. I would never treat someone staying at my house that way. Absolutely appalled by their complete lack of respect and horrible customer service.

Unless you like your belongings gone thru by housekeeping and left unattended in the common area, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Simply put, the worst place I have ever stayed.

PS - I think they have a bedbug problem. My room was ok, but overheard complaints from others and saw several mattresses outside in the sun. Nothing firsthand, but I have my suspicions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank The-Oconee-Kid
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a nice stay here with the very lovely family. The best thing is the garden, and the welcoming atmosphere. However, I thought the room was very dark and gloomy, and not as clean as it could be. Although we were prepared for it being a homestay rather than a hotel, I was disappointed with the room. It's also quite noisy as the walls are very thin and there are a lot of partitioned rooms next to each other.
The breakfast was nice, and I enjoyed trying some of the Malaysian traditional food on offer.
Overall, a good stay but not one of my favorites.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family