WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Edinburgh
“Fantastic homestay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Having arrived in Melaka after a long bus journey, apa kaba was the ideal place to stay. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. Really lovely people who seemed genuinely interested in their guests.

Lovely rooms with air con and home made breakfast. One of the only authentic/traditional breakfasts we have experienced while travelling.

Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Riceonriceonrice

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

This homestay is one of the best i've ever stayed. Very friendly staff. Aircon and a hot shower are a big plus. Recommended for everyone, especially for families!!
The breakfast is simple but sufficient to kick off the day. There is a fridge with some cold beverages and a nice place in the garden to sit down and enjoy the fresh mango's just came falling down from the trees. If you're travelling by car you can park it in the garden. The homestay is very hard to find, so call in advance!

Stayed July 2014
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a clean, air conditioned and friendly homestay within close walking distance of the main attractions. Our family of 5 (children aged 10,9 and 7) arrived hot and tired and were given a cold water and settled in quickly. There is a pleasant garden to relax in and the setting is tranquil. Bonus to have inter-leading rooms. Local breakfast provided and washing done for a reasonable price. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jandhfm
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I can not say strongly enough how disappointed I was by this place. After all the good reviews, I expected a delightful home stay experience. Sadly, my experience was the worst of all my travels. I've spent almost a year wandering SE Asia and never have I been treated so poorly.

Upon arrival I thought the place was ok. Overpriced for what you get. I like basic and I always travel cheap. Been traveling backpacker style for well over 15 yrs now. I like the quirky and somewhat shabby places if managed well. They can at times be charming. This place was not. I was just starting to somewhat accept it's overpriced-ness until the experience I had today. Then it all changed. Today I had the worst customer service experience of my life.

My wife and I had left our room around 11 am for a walk thru Little India and some lunch. Which was fantastic, by the way. This after we had spent all morning chatting with the guy at reception about the best way to get to Gemas the next day and about laundry and what not. I made it very clear we were leaving for Gemas the next day. We had a great day wandering the old town and little India and we were nice and hot and tired by the time we returned to our room. Very much looking forward to some down time before dinner. We were met by management at the gate and informed that all our belongings had been moved out of the room and our room given to someone else. They had overbooked and didn't have anything for us. We found all our stuff unceremoniously dumped in a pile in the common area, for all to pillage at will. All our valuables completely unattended. It was almost 4 pm and we had no place to go. It was a holiday and had little chance of finding another room. I am still not sure if I have all my belongings. They could have easily stolen from me and I won't know til I go looking for whatever they took.

They took no responsibly for their mistaken overbooking. Never apologized and simply kicked us to the curb. I would never treat someone staying at my house that way. Absolutely appalled by their complete lack of respect and horrible customer service.

Unless you like your belongings gone thru by housekeeping and left unattended in the common area, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Simply put, the worst place I have ever stayed.

PS - I think they have a bedbug problem. My room was ok, but overheard complaints from others and saw several mattresses outside in the sun. Nothing firsthand, but I have my suspicions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank The-Oconee-Kid
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a nice stay here with the very lovely family. The best thing is the garden, and the welcoming atmosphere. However, I thought the room was very dark and gloomy, and not as clean as it could be. Although we were prepared for it being a homestay rather than a hotel, I was disappointed with the room. It's also quite noisy as the walls are very thin and there are a lot of partitioned rooms next to each other.
The breakfast was nice, and I enjoyed trying some of the Malaysian traditional food on offer.
Overall, a good stay but not one of my favorites.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LS6JAN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

First: if you have never been staying in a familiar guesthouse, if you feel being disturbed by a crowing rooster/cock, stay at a hotel. the others will have a great time !

Well, I am now travelling for over two years by bicycle around the the world and I have been staying in many guesthouses, hotels and hostels. I planned to stay in Melaka for three nights, but I extended for eight. this guesthouse is so awesome. perfect managed by very friendly and helpful owners and staff. I had a double room with own shower and all was perfect. beautiful garden, delicious breakfast with a diversity of local specialities, free Wifi, rental bikes, some cats, chickens, rabbits. rest area.. old town to walk will be in 20 minutes. museums etc. Kenny, the owner will explain you all perfectly ! due to the fact, that Melaka is now one of my most favourite cities I will be back for sure !

Room Tip: I do not like share bathrooms, so I had room no 2, with fan, aircon, and garden view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank globalcycling
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My family and I (4 kids, Wifey and helper) stayed there for 2 nights (30th May - 1st June 2014) and we absolutely loved it! I've always wanted to try out a homestay cos I'm sick of staying in all those over rated hotels in Malacca and all so I searched for one in Tripadvisor and it reccomended Apa Kaba Home & Stay. I did not regret staying there although there were some minor issues which was not really a big deal for us anyway.

We reached there at around 1230pm, hoping for an early check in after driving up from Singapore (typical of Singaporeans) but the owner was not there. So we went for lunch. We came back at almost 3pm and checked in. We were showed to our to our rooms (we took the connecting rooms with own shower, 2 queen sized beds and another single bed) and we quickly settled down.

Rooms were clean and basic (refer to the pics contributed by others), air-con was working, there were enough powerpoints to charge your hp/ipad/laptop/etc. There were cupboards, study tables, bedside tables, dressing tables/etc, but the cool part is that all those items were old skool which I really loved!

There were chickens running around, there were rabbits, a duck, a goose (I think) and 2-3 cats which were utterly cute. My kids were chasing the chickens the whole time. They really loved the kampung atmosphere and it brought back many memories for me as I kind of grew up in a kampung at Negeri Sembilan when I was little.

In the morning, you can hear the rooster do their usual wake up call. Something you just don't get here in Singapore. It's just priceless. At night it may be a little creepy when you return home (especially if you're walking, alone), but it's not too dark till you can't see the place. However the night tranquility was just awesome. There is a porch/resting/lepak area where it's lighted up with all the flags of the world hanging under the roof where you can just hang out and sip a cup of teh tarik (this you gotta buy, they don't provide).

Oh, and they have FREE WI-FI!!!

There was a common dining area where breakfast is served with simple toast bread and jam/kaya spread. There is tea and coffee and also prata/wadeh (Indian fried donut) bought from the nearby kopitiam by the owner. However, try not to eat all the food cos you will be sharing it with other people. I had breakfast with people from Belgium, France, Germany and the States. It was so enriching to talk to these people who came from other countries and learn a thing or two about their lives. If you don't want a simple breakfast, you can always walk about 15 minutes away and get ripped off at some fancy restaurant near town.

The owner, Kenny and wife (sorry forgot her name) was super duper nice. It's like you've known them all your life! They were very knowledgeable about Malacca and they'll tell you where to get the best food/soveniers/etc.

Location wise is tops. It's walking distance to alot of the common Malaccan attractions, restaurants and what not.

The address in Google maps IS NOT accurate. So if you're driving make sure you get to Jalan Chan Koon Cheng and TURN RIGHT after you see Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tinggi Melaka (which is on the right side of the road). The road is after the school above and before Sekolah Kebangsaan St. Francis. There is a sign that indicates the homestay but it's located on the left side of the road. It would be better if it's located just at the turn in.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries (they don't provide), insect repellents (I brought 4 electric ones), t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family