“Homely and good value”

Apa Kaba Home & Stay
Ranked #3 of 135 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights in November.

We received a lovely welcome on arrival and were informed of local places to eat and given direction into town.

Our room was medium sized, basic and a little worn but pretty and had a reasonable little bathroom and air con. There is a lovely area outside where you can sit and read.

The main town area is 10minutes walk, Jonker street is about 15 minutes and well worth a visit.

Overall this was a lovely little guesthouse, we enjoyed our short stay and felt it was good value.

We wouldn't recommend staying in Melaka for much longer than a couple of nights as there isn't a huge amount to do, however it is a great stop off and a nice way to break up the trip from Singapore to KL.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven M
There are newer reviews for Apa Kaba Home & Stay

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here two nights and would've stayed longer if it wasn't fully booked. That says something about the popularity of this place and in hindsight i'm not at all surprised.

What a lovely place. From the tiny little courtyard with the reception, to the basic rooms looking out over the lovely garden, to the breakfast with homemade tidbits to try out, and the great service from Kenny and his family, it's all good. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. It's basic (no aircon, just a fan. No windows....wooden-shutters do the trick as well) but very clean and well maintained.

Apa Kaba is only a short walk (10min) from the main sights in Melaka, but don't be surprised if you find yourself just hanging around in the shade on the patio in the garden to absorb the laid back, Asian atmosphere which makes this a highly recommended place for a holiday in Melaka.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JellevanKralingen
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I noted the name of this hotel from a blog and it is as peacefull and confortable than expected.
10 mns far by walk from the centrer of Chinatown, the guest house is in a garden, far from the noise of the cars. My standard room is maybe a bit small but costs only 40 Rg with breakfast and there are bigger ones with aircon. It is very clean. But over all, Kenny is so helpfull and interesting that I felt as if I was hosted by a friend! Amazing
He gave me a lot of tips, bruchures, bus information... whatever I needed.

I sincerely recommand this guest house.

Room Tip: Bring your musquito net if you don't have electric reaplelant. Even if Kenny does his best to av...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I booked two nights as a solo traveller at apa kaba guesthouse becuase of the reviews on tripadvisor and I was not dissapointed!
Kenny and his family looked after me so well, and having tea out in the garden every night with them made me feel like part of the family.
Breakfasts were fantastic and the place was spotless.
It is a traditional house, so be warned about the lack of airconditioning...this is not a Hilton but a family lodging - but there's fans, which for me (who loves the heat) was just fine with.
It is a little 10min walk into the centre - I was fine with this because it meant I was able to stay in the village, but it is possible to stay closer to the "main sights" of melaka.
The only trick was as a solo traveller I had to book the whole room (2 beds) and pay double.

All in all though, one of the best stays I've had in any of my travels. The personal touch means that I would reccomend it in an instant and remember the hospitality forever.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AnnieFromOuterSpace
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Warm, welcoming, friendly atmosphere thanks to the staff that treat you like a relative. It is an old, wooden house in a big, nice garden in the centre of Melaka. Our room was big, beds comfortable, breakfast very good, a clean bathroom, helpful, friendly receptionists. It is a quite, relaxing place in the city, real oasis. You can sit in a garden with a cup of tea and talk with the hosts.
Don't expect luxury, but do expect warm, friendly, relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Can not give more praise to this home stay. The most amazing hosts and what it lacks in "comforts" it more than makes up for in character, warmth and surroundings. You must eat at Capitol Satay!! Make sure you sort out taxi's prior to leaving as it is in the middle of a residential district although incredibly easy to walk everywhere!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nbbackpack
Reviewed July 17, 2012

It's experiences like staying here that make you realise what homestays should be about. Don't expect 5 star luxury - do expect total warmth of welcome, pro-active service, delicious traditional breakfasts, a really clean bedroom, and a formula of informality mixed with unexpected treats. We shall always remember Sam's enthusiasm for life, Kenny's many kindnesses, and the way in which Corrine quietly but effectively touched the tiller of our enjoyment of Melaka. Neither could we ever forget the beautiful garden and relaxing in the summer house - a true oasis indeed. I can't believe we won't return with memories like these!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple