Hotel Da Som Inn
$61
$61
$49
Agoda.com
Casa del Rio Melaka(Melaka)
$176
$165
All reviewsfree flowjonker streetwalking distancefree tea and coffeefree internetshared bathroomexcellent locationshort tripdrinking waterhome away from homeair conditioningtv channelscomfortable bednight marketmosquekeyreceptionist
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Pro's : helpful and friendly receptionist / owner, clean
1 - clean & comfortable
2 - owner selling their own hand-painted t-shirts
3 - You can walked around Jonker walk, stadhuys, Malacca river, menara taming sari & dataran pahlawan if able
4- You can taste original korean kimchi by requsted to owner

Cons 1- car parking not provide by hotel, find your own park
2- hotel's korean restaurant is temporariy closed due to lack of staff
3- perhaps some are not comfortable with red bedsheets

Room Tip: 1- Tourist can walk around jonker walk, stadhuys, malacca river, menara taming sari & dataran pahlawan if able. 2- Kota Laksamana area also in walking distance, where 2 famous asam pedas restaurant & roti nan restaurant are closed at around 4.30 a.m
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I arrived to Chinatown at 9:30 at night on a Friday. I didn't feel like walking around the Jonker's Street market with 2 full packs, so I took the first place I found (A new place called Harmony Lodge, just up the street from Da Som, very nice), dumped my bags, and began to wander the area. I stopped in to Da Som and asked what they had for the next day, as I had already paid for a night at Harmony.
The guy at the desk told me RM118 for the night. A bit high, but ok, as long as the advertised WIFI was strong. I asked, very VERY clearlyt if the WIFI would be strong in the room he would be putting me in. 3 times he told me very strong. I then asked him what time I could check in - he told me 12 noon. I asked him again clearly, to confirm (this is early by most standards), and he said noon no problem. I paid a deposit and booked the room.
Upon my arrival the next day I arrived at 12:30 pm, the guy at the front desk told me I was too early to check in. He told me the guy on the night shift was new and gave me bad info. They gave me a key anyway and told me to go up to the room. What a surpise when, I opened the door, the room was occupied by another guest! These guys gave me the key to someone else's room. This poor person's stuff was all out for me to take if I were that kind of person. They hadn't come with me to the room. I went back down stairs and told them they gave me the key to someone else's room. They apologized and took me to the room next to that. I checked the signal on my laptop to find out that I had one bar for the WIFi that faded on and offline.
From here on in all I heard were excuses: The guy on the night shift is new, he didn't know what he was talking about, that they were just a small hotel and a small business so mistakes happen. I had to walk out into the sun, 40C degrees, with 2 packed bags again, to find another hotel. Thanks much.
For RM118/night, there are many places that you can avoid these headaches. A decent hotel in this area with everything Da Som has won't be over RM100, and you'll save on the aspirin too.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank inspectorjavert70
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Having stayed in Heeren House and Da Som Inn, the later is my preferred choice of a small and no frills boutique hotel at Junker Walk. In my humble opinion, Da Som Inn is more value for money, you get hot shower, clean room, nice beds (went for room with 2 x queen beds), free in-room WIFI and just as good a location. They have both ceiling fan and air-con in the room. They don't serve breakfast but you can always go for traditional Dim Sum breakfast in a Chinese restaurant almost next door away. Cheap and good.
One big minus about staying in such boutique hotel at Junker Walk is the lack of parking lot. You may have to park your car a distance away especially during a weekend. You can try your luck by parking nearer once the road block is cleared at midnight or so.
I will likely not staying in a hotel at Junker walk, the traffic is just really bad. If you don't drive, then it is bearable.

Room Tip: Weekend parking at Junker Walk is nightmare!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BeginsYoung
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Visited Melaka for 3days/2nights. We check in Da Som Inn on 2nd night. Should have book Da Som Inn for the 1st night too. The place is clean and reasonably price. Staff are friendly and helpful. Da Som Inn is run by Korean. Perfect location, walking distance to all historical places and of course Jonker Walk. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank fancy48
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Nice place to stay; good location, very friendly owners, clean.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple