“Look no further!”

Ranked #12 of 210 Melaka B&B and Inns
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Look no further!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Really great place, we were there for four nights. It’s located in the good bit of town (central china town), it’s cheap and very very clean. Especially the toilets and showers ;)

Alan runs the place, he’s currently in training for the world mopping championships and what he doesn’t know about mopping really isn’t worth knowing. His practice is our reward, its the first time I’ve literally been able to able to see my face reflected in the flooring, no mean feat considering its wooden. He works with such speed and finesse its inspired many a poet.

There are many myths and plenty of speculation on Alan’s past but you’ll just have to buy a copy of his book to find out all answers.
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone who wants somewhere good to spend a few days in Melaka.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I didn't even stay at this hostel, but I have to write a review because the manager, Allen, was so helpful.

My friends and I wanted to stay there but they didn't have the availability to accommodate all of us. The manager, Allen, offered to let us drop off our bags there so we didn't have to lug them around in the heat. He then gave us advice as to where else we should look for places that would meet our budget. Later we went back and asked him where we could buy some liquor. He took us to a shop that was closed, asked the owner if he could help us out, and the owner opened up the shop just for us. The next day, he helped us book a bus out of town. All the while, he was a pretty hilarious guy. Gotta love him.

If I ever go to Melacca again, I'll be staying there. No question.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I found Jalan Jalan by chance when I was walking down the street. I spent there 3 nights. The atmosphere and conditions were great. It is a perfect place to relax and meet people. I would definitely recommend this place to all backpackers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went by the reviews and checked into Jalan Jalan. I ended up staying a full week to charge up my travel batteries again. This place is extremely hospitable and sociable. The dorm is spacious and quiet. No AC, but mosquito coils and fans keep you fresh and unpunctured. I loved my stay here and if I ever end up in Melaka again this is the place I'll be at.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in Jalan Jalan 2 just down the road in a double room and it was fantastic. The room was huge, with a big bathroom and big windows. Air con and a fan as well as hot water in the bathroom. The bed was nice and comfy too. The staff are fantastic and you can sit and talk to them all evening, they'll help you with anything you need as if it's no trouble. They put on film nights and everything too, and hire you bikes for cheap. Its also near the centre and in the heart of Chinatown. We loved our stay here and we're glad we chose this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed in the dorm of the old Jalan-Jalan and that's the coziest hostel I experienced in Malaysia. In the dorm you can have a locker, each bed has a fan and a power outlet (except for the 1 bed that's closest to the window - no power outlet there). You get wifi, coffee, tea; you can do laundry for a small fee, and their garden is lovely! It's a quiet hostel and Alan - the manager - promised to break my legs if I start making noise with packing any plastic bags in the middle of the night :) The place has an atmosphere I just cannot describe, you have to experience it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant location right in the heart of Chinatown. I don't usually write reviews but this place was so worthy. Even has a washing machine and plenty of hanging up space. Brilliant location and cheap as hell

• Stayed June 2012