“Fabulous traditional house”

Ranked #17 of 210 Melaka B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Fabulous traditional house”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Cafe 1511 is within a traditional house so you get to see some of the original features that make these houses so interesting.
The staff were lovely. Rooms are small but perfect for a weekend away. The food was lovely especially the waffles for breakfast and the top hats and Otak for lunch/dinner.
It's brilliantly located in Melacca - perfectly central for those exploring the town.
Would definitely revisit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 15, 2013

As the title says, its one of the best place to stay a night or two while in Melacca, Its easy to go around and food is always nearby. Jonker walk has nothing much to offer in the morning, so i would advice you to have their complimentary breakfast and head out with the bicycle and go to the nearest town for a great food adventure.

Room Tip: I stayed at the attic. The stairs might be narrow and you have to work your way around it especially...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Segamat, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Clean... Its just like your own house with well arranged living room and a work desk too c/w computer, printer and internet. Food is just downstairs. They will give you a touch key to access the guest house if you come back late. The cafe downstairs closes at 10pm. and best of all, the Baba Nyonya Museum is just next door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Cafe 1511 is lovely restored guesthouse in the centre of Melaka. The guesthouse is close to Jonker Street, so great for visiting the market, but without the street noise. The owners and staff were really helpful and the room although small was very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are outside - but there are 3 or 4 to cover the 5 rooms and all are very clean. A great value place to stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in the double room which didn't have a window. I think the twin rooms are at the front...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the second time I am staying with Cafe 1511. Second time experience was not as great my first.

I was assigned a room at Dlaksamana Guest House. I had a hard time trying to locate the place and end up going Cafe 1511 for direction. The staff was kind enough to bring me there for check in, show me the room, and amenities. Happily, I left the house and started the tour of the town.

Upon returning, I was locked out from my room (somehow I managed to get in to for earlier for my shower). The worse thing is I had left my wallet and phone in the room. How am I going to call for help at 12am then?

I approached the boss at the nearby coffeeshop to borrow his phone. Called 2 out of 3 numbers, no luck. Luckily someone answered the 3rd number. The staff turn up in 5min, took a look at the key, and told me it is the wrong key. I cannot explain how I manage to get in earlier for my shower (maybe the housekeeping did not lock the door then? Nevermind, I just want to go back to my room.

He did not manage to open the door, but offer me a room at 1511 Guest House instead, about 3 minutes away. No choice, spend a night there. Next day morning, went back to Dlaksamana, to the credit of the staff, he had just finished opening up the door. He apologized that for handing out the wrong key when we check in and he did not get the correct spare key last night.

Despite his best effort, the experience had upseted me. I managed to change the room change to Cafe 1511 after some convincing. From then on, my stay experience improve.

A nice place to stay if not for the hiccup on the first day.

Room Tip: I can hear Quran chanting at 5am from the Attic room at Cafe 1511 on a weekday. Not sure if this is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Traralgon, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Cafe 1511 was a ideal place for us to stay the two nights we were in Melaka, Only a short walk to the main town Square in a ole time Street that at one time was known as Dutch St, and Millionaires row. I believe due to the wealthy Dutch people who built and lived there . Cafe 1511 has been very well restored and maintained as have other building in the Street and others are being restored at present. It is all very old world original hence the lovely narrow steep staircase leading to our bedroom one floor up. The bedrooms are small but very comfortable and we found the shared bathrooms very clean and not a problem. If you want a huge amount of space and laid on luxury this is not for you, this is for those like us who want to stay in a real traditional Melakan guest house that would have been built and lived in by Dutch settlers many years ago. Close to plenty of good restaurants and one Street away from Jonker Street where all the action is. Breakfast was great and the owners and staff were very helpfull , one young girl called NO No was terrific , had the most lovely smile and way about her. Prior to leaving Australia we were finding it impossible to book a bus from Melaka to the Cameron Highlands and upon informing the owner Colin of this he went and got the tickets for us and had them their when we arrived which was a huge help to us . Great service, nothing seemed to much trouble for them.We had a very early departure when leaving and the staff came in early to give us breakfast which was very much appreciated. In summing up good place to stay in great position the only Drawback I could think of would be if you had a bit of a problem going up the steep narrow staircase but I'm sure you would get plenty of help. We liked it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2012

If you like to stay for only 1 or 2 nights it is fine.
Be aware that you might have to carry your backpack a steep staircase up and another one if you stay in the 2nd floor. Nothing for vertigo's. It's a bit noisy in the day and until late if you have a room to the street. It is a main town link road. There might be a construction site right opposite. No room service is provided, you are on your own.
The breakfast is included but for all those who love the british or asian style otherwise you have to accept that not only the 'english breakfast' but also the 'continental' and the 'french breakfast' is served with baked beans and sausages ! Continental must be toast, butter jam, french normally croissant or bagel / roll.
The beds esp. the mattresses were horrible inc. the pillows who are too flat to rest the head on it. We will come again but will definitely choose to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple