“Cheap n Cosy n Convenient”
Review of Cafe 1511

and 1 more site!
Cafe 1511
Ranked #16 of 212 Melaka B&B and Inns
Penang, MY
“Cheap n Cosy n Convenient”
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Nice cafe with rooms on d 2nd and 3rd floor. Room comes with air con and shared bathroom. There's a common place where u can watch dvd and there's a big shelf of books. They serve nice laksa nyonya as well.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ann Arbor
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at the cafe 1511 for one night and had a great experience. We had the attic room, initially felt awkward, but in no time, it felt like your bedroom. The place is very clean. Bathroom located a floor below attic, but was not a problem. Privacy is respected. The owners were very friendly and did a fantastic job. The breakfast was simply ample and delicious.
We had a choice of movies from a movie library and books for a full shelf. If I have a chance to visit Melacca again, I will consider to stay there again.

Room Tip: Consider asking if you are being booked for attic room ; given about 4 flights of stairs and small s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helena R
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 22, 2012

At the outset, let me state that we stayed in the sister property of Cafe 1511, Cafe D'Laksamana. As there is not entry yet for the new property, I thought I could put my review here as it is under the same management.

The house is a short walk away from all the action near the Jonker Street area. But it's only about 5 minutes, 10 minutes maximum. There were 7 of us, so we booked all four rooms in the house. Sadly, we could only stay for 1 night but as a base for exploring Melaka, the property is great.

The house has 4 rooms, 2 rooms with double beds, 1 with twin beds and 1 with a single bed. There are mattresses available so potentially, you could fit around 10 people in there. The toilets were nice and clean. There is free wifi and a computer if you don't have a laptop with you.

I want to make special mention of Colin, the owner. He went out of his way to make sure our stay was good. The free breakfast which is to be served at Cafe 1511 was only going to start around 9 am. Our bus was leaving at 8. So he picked us up at around 7 am from the house and drove us himself to Cafe 1511 where he had breakfast prepared extra early for us. Then he brought us to the bus station himself! Talk about service. It was amazing!

Kudos to Colin and his staff! According to him, they are going to open another property this year. I personally recommend staying in his properties. Go!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sleepyinsomniac
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nice, clean and perfect hotel......The owner and staffs are very nice.
Room is very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nat P
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The guesthouse is the first house of three historic buildings within the old quarter of Melaka and connected to the Baba Nonya House/Museum. Its conversion into a guesthouse has ensured that there is regular income to the complex to ensure the buildings can be maintained in their original historic state.
We were not expecting shared toilet and showers...and did not know we had to climb a very long staircase (though beautiful!), which, with my sore knee at the time, was too much of a challenge to stay longer than one night. The room we were given was very small and I needed my eyeshades to get to sleep owing to lights blazing outside our room. But it was very clean, the breakfast was excellent, the waitresses delightful and we appreciated access to the internet. We were advised of a very new guesthouse, only just opened, that was connected with Cafe 1151 in a nearby street. The house was completely newly renovated and was just being finished when we stayed there. it was located in a quieter street yet still walking distance to Cafe 1151 for the provided breakfast. No big stairs to climb, still internet access, modern bathroom with toilet away from the shower and the great breakfast--- it was great! And the staff were so friendly too!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen P
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Well, it would be if Mumma was cooking these tasty dishes. Very fresh, fragrant and flavoursome. Not flash or fancy. Probably what the locals call 'home-cooked' meals.

1 Thank Aquagal44
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This was one that I had a feeling was 'too good to be true'. For the price I was thinking it would be one of the 'uh-oh' places when I pre-booked through Agoda (we were on a 27 day trip of Malaysia and I researched and pre-booked most hotels). What a delightful surprise. I am so glad I pre-booked because the crowds flooded in to the area on the weekend. We would have been left out in the cold - or the heat as it was then! The staff were so friendly and helpful even though the girls spoke very little English they still communicated and assisted us in every possible way. I hadn't stayed in a place without an ensuite before but I had no problems with the set up here. Just a short walk to the clean and well maintained (modernised) bathrooms. There are enough so that you end up feeling like yours is an ensuite anyway. Loved, loved, loved Melaka. Should have stayed for five nights at least but off to Singapore after 3. So many places to see, so little time. I would stay here again and again and again. Even lugging the backpack up those stairs and vertigo on the way down did not put me off.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple