“Amazing experience with Colin!”
Review of Cafe 1511

and 1 more site!
Cafe 1511
Ranked #18 of 227 Melaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2012

At the outset, let me state that we stayed in the sister property of Cafe 1511, Cafe D'Laksamana. As there is not entry yet for the new property, I thought I could put my review here as it is under the same management.

The house is a short walk away from all the action near the Jonker Street area. But it's only about 5 minutes, 10 minutes maximum. There were 7 of us, so we booked all four rooms in the house. Sadly, we could only stay for 1 night but as a base for exploring Melaka, the property is great.

The house has 4 rooms, 2 rooms with double beds, 1 with twin beds and 1 with a single bed. There are mattresses available so potentially, you could fit around 10 people in there. The toilets were nice and clean. There is free wifi and a computer if you don't have a laptop with you.

I want to make special mention of Colin, the owner. He went out of his way to make sure our stay was good. The free breakfast which is to be served at Cafe 1511 was only going to start around 9 am. Our bus was leaving at 8. So he picked us up at around 7 am from the house and drove us himself to Cafe 1511 where he had breakfast prepared extra early for us. Then he brought us to the bus station himself! Talk about service. It was amazing!

Kudos to Colin and his staff! According to him, they are going to open another property this year. I personally recommend staying in his properties. Go!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sleepyinsomniac

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nice, clean and perfect hotel......The owner and staffs are very nice.
Room is very comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nat P
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The guesthouse is the first house of three historic buildings within the old quarter of Melaka and connected to the Baba Nonya House/Museum. Its conversion into a guesthouse has ensured that there is regular income to the complex to ensure the buildings can be maintained in their original historic state.
We were not expecting shared toilet and showers...and did not know we had to climb a very long staircase (though beautiful!), which, with my sore knee at the time, was too much of a challenge to stay longer than one night. The room we were given was very small and I needed my eyeshades to get to sleep owing to lights blazing outside our room. But it was very clean, the breakfast was excellent, the waitresses delightful and we appreciated access to the internet. We were advised of a very new guesthouse, only just opened, that was connected with Cafe 1151 in a nearby street. The house was completely newly renovated and was just being finished when we stayed there. it was located in a quieter street yet still walking distance to Cafe 1151 for the provided breakfast. No big stairs to climb, still internet access, modern bathroom with toilet away from the shower and the great breakfast--- it was great! And the staff were so friendly too!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helen P
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Well, it would be if Mumma was cooking these tasty dishes. Very fresh, fragrant and flavoursome. Not flash or fancy. Probably what the locals call 'home-cooked' meals.

1  Thank Aquagal44
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This was one that I had a feeling was 'too good to be true'. For the price I was thinking it would be one of the 'uh-oh' places when I pre-booked through Agoda (we were on a 27 day trip of Malaysia and I researched and pre-booked most hotels). What a delightful surprise. I am so glad I pre-booked because the crowds flooded in to the area on the weekend. We would have been left out in the cold - or the heat as it was then! The staff were so friendly and helpful even though the girls spoke very little English they still communicated and assisted us in every possible way. I hadn't stayed in a place without an ensuite before but I had no problems with the set up here. Just a short walk to the clean and well maintained (modernised) bathrooms. There are enough so that you end up feeling like yours is an ensuite anyway. Loved, loved, loved Melaka. Should have stayed for five nights at least but off to Singapore after 3. So many places to see, so little time. I would stay here again and again and again. Even lugging the backpack up those stairs and vertigo on the way down did not put me off.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aquagal44
Reviewed January 29, 2012

By the good reviews here, there is no need for me to say much about the value of this guesthouse. This time around, we were staying at the attic room. An unique experience. However, you need strong legs as there is quite a lot of climbing.

It was like coming back home. Even the 2 foreign helpers recognised us. Because we needed to check out early, breakfast was not ready. But one of the foreign helpers volunteered to cook for us. Really appreciated.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank k0hk3
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The food is not good at all - the courtyard is nice though. There are way much better restaurants in Malacca - dont waste your time and money on this.

1  Thank bankergirl1016