“Great find”

and 1 more site!
Cafe 1511
Ranked #18 of 227 Melaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The 1511 Cafe is a fantastic place in the heart of Melaka, it is just a couple of rooms in a house built in the traditional Peranakan style. In fact it is next to the Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum and I believe it is run by the same owner. It only has a couple of rooms each named after one local delicacy. We stayed in the Popiah room. The bathrooms are outside of the room on the other side of the open air well. Beautiful and original design with richly decorated architectural elements such as gates, stairs, an open patio with a small pool for collecting rainwater will make your stay interesting and will let you learn more about local culture. They provide you with free internet access, the breakfast is good and included in the price, you choose from a variety of local or international dishes. There is also a bike rental at a very reasonable price so you can go and do some sightseeing, the bikes are lovely with their 1511 plates and a basket to carry your stuff. The hotel is located in Chinatown, few meters from the famous Jonker Walk and also close to Melaka River and the Dutch Square. While in Melaka make sure you go to the local market for traditional food, visit the shopping mall for there is this interesting shop selling all kinds of sweets, snacks and dried fruit in great variety and for a drink at the Geographer's cafe and a dinner at one of the riverside cafes ( I recommend the Riverine).
Very good value for money and great atmosphere.

1  Thank Bravurka2011

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We booked 4 nights in this guesthouse and liked it so much we stayed an extra night. The Cafe is right in the centre of 'old' Malacca and it is the most unique place in which we have stayed during our tour of Malaysia. It is adjacent to the famous Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum, one of the main attractions in the city.
The owners, Colin & PG, were excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The staff, Noe and Mya were charming and made us feel totally at home.
The Attic room was small but clean and comfortable, free WiFi and a great breakfast if you choose the local food!
We shall certainly recommend this accommodation to our friends.

Room Tip: The attic room has a double bed and is at the back of the house free of traffic noise. However, be...
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is the 3rd time we stayed in this guest house. Excellent service and people. What else do I have to say? We came back for the 3rd time and we are going to come back again. BTW, the ayam pongteh and pie-tee are excellent. Give it a try!

1  Thank JSeng
Reviewed August 9, 2011

.. What more can one ask for? :) I got a single airconditioned room all to myself at SGD24! I mean its a room, not a bed in some noisy dormitory! And it even comes with a simple but yummy breakfast. The shared bathrooms are also clean and I never had to wait. Towels are provided.

This traditional Peranakan townhouse is attached to the local "Baba-Nyonya Heritage Museum" with the famous Jonker Walk just one street away. It is also a short walk to the Puri Hotel Spa - yes I'm a spa addict, but its nice to have a massage after a long distance bus trip. I will stay here again. However, the landlady advised that this house may not be suitable for those with problems climbing steep flights of stairs - especially with heavy bags.

Everything was perfect except for some noisy PRC teens - or rather, just one grouchy girl with short bob whom I told to shut up. Yakking loudly half the time and stomping around as if she hated the wooden floor. What a complete Swa-ku... This is a charming old city so BE delicate - or learn to if you never had a chance to be civilized.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Yvonne_N_Soh
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Enriched with history as the museum is just right beside this guesthouse. Even the name, Cafe 1511 as a historical meaning. 1511 is the year when the Portuguese attacked Malacca. Colin, the owner of this guesthouse is a very wonderful host. He answered whatever my friends asked him about the food and places in Malacca. Even though the rooms are small, they are especially clean and cosy. The cafe below serves wonderful breakfast and they have 2 wonderful helpers serving us. If there is another time when I come to Malacca again, this guesthouse will be the first place I'll consider staying in.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2011

What can you ask for when the boss, Colin and his wife treated us like guests more than a customer. A group of us 7, reached Malacca at 8am in the morning when our check in is at 2pm, we give it a try to deposit our bags in Cafe1511. Colin was really nice, he find a place to let us settle down, let us used the toilet, we even bath and wash up. There are even 4 computer hook up to the internet to allow you to check your email, facebook while you are far far away from home. Colin didn't add extra charges to that, an LCD tv at the hall with tonnes of good movies where you and your friends can watch them together.
Room is small but whatever you needed like air conditioning, fan are inside there except maybe the boss can add in a hair dryer?
Location, very good location, at the centre of the town, walkable distance to everywhere.
I LOVE everything there, i definitely is going to go back to CAFE 1511 for sure. Whoever haven't been there when you bypass malacca is your LOST. Remember to visit the peranakan museum next door because cafe1511 is the third house of the museum. Visit to find out more. Last but not least, Thank Mya mya, noe noe, colin and wife for taking good care of us =)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Last week we saw on internet about cafe 1511 so that i planned to stay this rest house and brought my Singaporian friends who are first time visit this historican place.Staff of cafe1511 scolded my friend!! Due to the person who in charge of the rest house was not there so we planned to wait at there and my friend went to toilet. Who knows a staff scold us said :"You no eyes to see this notice? not customers are not allow to use our toilet!"
On the other hand,we tried to find the person who in charge of cafe 1511 who named Mr.Colin. called him twice times and above but didnt pick up the phone. Well,we waited for him to call back,we told him the whole thing and he did say sorry. But he didnt even concern what we feel and kept saying we were nagative thinker. At last he wasn't polite to us and said :" I will pay thousand ringgit to get a well trained staff next time. Thank you" and straight away hang up my phone.
Had a bad impression for this rest house expecially the awful service,terrible staff and the worst owner ever!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank lamlam111
9w2ccb, Owner at Cafe 1511, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

This is the only bad review, I had from the rest of all my reviews. The reason is simple , as they are not my guest and not even my cafe customer as they only want to use my toilet! So you can read from this reviews....it is all lies.