“Bed bugs are still there”

River View Guest House
Ranked #15 of 208 Melaka B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, USA
“Bed bugs are still there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the room number 2 with 3 night stay, the second night was fully bitten by 100 bedbugs, but thought they were Mosquitos! Stay away if you don't like to be bedbugs food. The pictures they out up are real nice but they come get you when you sleep!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom P
ManiSarah, Owner at River View Guest House, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
We would like to advise that the 2 single beds in room no 2 have been thrown away and the room has been completely closed for more than a month now; since the last reviews on Tripadvisor. In fact, we had closed down the whole house between 18-20th March14 for maintenance, demisting and fumigation as extra precaution. Room 2 has not been reopened earlier as we had to wait for the new double bed to be fabricated and delivered from Kuala Lumpur and it arrived only on 8th April.

We did not have any guest stay in that room the whole month of April 2014 as stated in this review as we have not fixed up the room yet but would be doing so soon.

If reviewer is the one who had stayed with us between 19-24/2/14 and whose partner had already reviewed us on 3rd March 2014 on Tripadvisor; then we apologise for the inconvenience once again.

As explained, we are a basic back packer’s accommodation provider with only 9 rooms and a high turnover (only because we are small) and honestly, we did not set out to run a guest house with guest’s having bad experiences. From time to time bedbugs are brought in by travellers unknowingly and we do our best to manage. Thank you. Mani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

The Nicest guesthouse we stayed in after 8 weeks travelling in Asia. The old structures of the house are beautifully renovated (unfortunatly not in the rooms) and the river view balcony is a perfect spot to relax or enjoy a piece of the delicious cakes the owners wife bakes every day. Its for free. as well as coffee, tea and water. A wonderful extra we really apreciated. The shared bathrooms and all common areas are extremly clean and our room was simple but had a very comfortable bed. Definitely a place to come back on a second visit to Malaca!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaWa2012
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Have slept there in summer 2011, it was really great. It is situated in an old warehouse in the old citycenter of Melakka. It has inside beautiful wooden floors, also the airco is very good. Atmosphere makes you feel relaxed and calm. A nice balcony with colourful flowers and a nice view over the river. The owner is very kind and helpful, I was sick when I arrived, and there have been cared much about me. Really nice and really recommendable!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

When we first arrive the hostel, the rooms look well maintain and clean. But once I flipped up the blanket, there were strands of hair and dust and dirt under it. Guessed the turnover rate of the hostel rooms were so fast that the host does not have enough time to thoroughly clean the rooms but simply swept the floor clean and arranged the beds neat.
Suspect the sheets were not change since hair and dirt were found under the tucked blanket. The blankets were definitely not changed which is a bad thing since the bed bugs can easily hide in the thick linen and remain hidden and not visible. Only realised I was badly bitten after the end of my 3D2N trip in room 3. It was my first time having such bad experience with beg bugs. Other than me, my two other guy friends were very badly bitten too. In fact, they discovered matured and baby bugs right after sleeping through the first night and got quite a few bites from room 7. Next morning after feedback, they had their rooms changed to room 2 (this was when I saw how the cleaner clean the room for next user. blankets are not change at all. So if infected, the next occupant will get the bug attacks as well.) Rooms were swept and sprayed with possibly the bed bug spray before passing on to my 2 guy friends. Yet, same thing happen. they were badly bitten as well in room 2 (room 2 is situated directly under room 7 so possibly the bugs travelled down.) Other wise the view of the hostel, the toilets, and the host even provides free complimentary cakes and pastry for the travellers.
Other than the bug issue, the stay is wonderful. Price is relatively competitive and location is walkable distance from the famous Jonker street.
If bugs does not bother you at all, this hostel will be a good deal for your travelling stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, pick rooms at upper level if available or buy an ear plug. Can be quite...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank wahju_korie
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

What a perfect place to spent your holiday. Peaceful place, have a excellent view (straight to melaka river view), good facilities, great people.. this place really make my day. I spent my day with a cup of hot chocolate & cake. The owner will serve you a different cakes everyday. And trust me,the taste was so good♥

• Stayed March 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Wonderful river view, perfect location (in a quiet and central area) and very friendly and warm Malayan staff in the reception. The bathrooms/showers were good and a kitchen is available. Simple and clean rooms.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarasusername
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We booked 3 nights here - read lots of reviews on hostelworld and glanced at the good reviews on tripadvisor before booking. We didn't see any bedbug reviews on hostelworld (possibly because when I went to my account to review the hostel there the reservation showed up as cancelled and wouldn't allow a review - I guess Raymond cancelled it).

We stayed 2 nights. Similar to what others have mentioned the house is beautiful, the location is great, wifi is free, there is usually cake out in the morning (I didn't eat it so I can't review that specifically but others said it was good) BUT PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR THE BEDBUG INFESTATION because otherwise you will spread it to other hotels/hostels that you go to next on top of getting bitten here.

We stayed in the twin room #2 downstairs and at first we thought the place was great except for the overpowering 'weird' smell in the room which we couldn't identify. I asked to burn incense in the room and Raymond allowed it after turning off the fire alarm. Still I didn't feel comfortable in the room because of the smell and a couple of small gray/brown dot looking stains on the pillow/sheet so we slept in our sleep sacks, thank goodness because I think that saved us from the brunt force of the bug bites on night one. Also we went to bed late and got up early.

On night two however one of us slept in the sleep sack and the other slept out of it- and he ended up with about 30 or so bites on his back and arms. I happened to jump out of bed quickly that morning when the alarm went off and flip the lights on so I found one on my shoulder and then we pulled the sheet back and found another on the bed along with evidence (poop) of others. We killed both and showed them to Raymond who, without argument, offered to refund us the last night since we said we weren't comfortable staying there longer. He said he has the best bedbug killing spray from the U.S. already so it became obvious to us that this was not a new problem and after reading the poor reviews on trip advisor it looks like this problem has been ongoing since 2010, or else there have been multiple infestations month after month since then (room 8 and room 1 are also implicated).

We spent the next entire day (before going to another hotel) at a laundromat washing all of our things (bags included) in hot water and a hot dryer to kill potential stowaways, wiped our electronics and papers down with clorox wipes, scrubbed ourselves in a hot shower and sent our last set of clothes off to a professional cleaner. So it cost us a day of aggravation and money to sanitize all of our travel gear and ourselves so that we didn't carry the bugs with us and spread them to the next place. I agree with the other reviewer that it's not responsible of the hostel to keep the same mattress' and that just spraying the furniture isn't good enough - I know it's notoriously difficult to get rid of these bugs and I sympathize but it's also not okay to effectively potentially spread it further.

Room Tip: I suggest double checking for bedbugs