We set off from Spore around 6am via private transport and reached the park HQ around 930pm. Journey time (including custom clearance) from Spore to park HQ was about 3.5 hrs. To save time, we ate sandwich in the mini-bus and didn't stop along the way for breakfast. Climb registration including safety briefing took about 30 min. We started the trek around 10am. We took about 5 hrs to reach the summit via KFC (killer for climbers). We stayed at the summit for about 30 min. We took about 4.5 hrs to descend back to park HQ. Therefore the whole climb us slightly more than 5 hrs to complete.
Mount Ophir is a strenuous climb. However it is a bench mark. If you can manage the climb then you are good to go for the more difficult mountains like Rinjani and Tahan.
1. There are lockers available for rental (juz a few RM) at the park HQ.
2. Shower facilities are available at the park HQ.
3. There is no portable water source along the trek. You need to carry at least 2-3 L of water for the trek. There is one or two streams along the trek but it's not advisable to drink from there unless you have purifier tablets.
4. This is one of the most popular mountains to climb in Malaysia. Make reservation at least 1-2 weeks in advance to avoid disappointment. We saw a walk-in couple who wished to climb but were turned back because all guides were fully booked.
5. Bring a headlamp along in case you can't get back before sunset.
6. As a courtesy, pay some tips to the guides. They work hard but are not paid well by the national park.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.