“Great to find this place”
Review of Tony's Guesthouse

Tony's Guesthouse
Ranked #28 of 211 Melaka B&B and Inns
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Great to find this place”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Traveling with friends, and all of us, love to be here. Very friendly host, Tony and his wife.
Lovely room and breakfast. Easy to travel from this house to places like Chinatown, Mausoleum and others.
Pity that we could not stay in Melaka longer and have more time to talk with Tony, a very helpful guy.

Room Tip: room with AC will be the best option
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We paid around £3 each to stay at Tonys for one night which we thought was great value. Obviously at this cost we were not expecting full luxury! The rooms could do with a deep clean to be fair but sheets etc were clean. There was a load of information in a folder in the room about both the guesthouse and Melacca in general which was a nice touch. The whole place is covered in Tony's 'artwork' which is rather eclectic shall we say!

To be honest I wouldn't recommend coming to Melacca to begin with. We went in between travelling from Singapore to KL and have to admit as 3 girls felt unsafe. The guesthouse is near ish to the town but you do feel unsafe getting there and the people are not very tourist friendly.

Also I would definitely recommend asking for a room with aircon it is slightly pricier but well worth it! The wifi is quite good and we ate breakfast in Tony's cafe below the guesthouse and it was good value.

• Stayed December 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner & I stayed at Tony's for 4 nights, and we enjoyed the hospitality of Tony & his Sumatran wife, Sanny, very much. The GH is spacious, with a 'kitchen' (fridge & electric kettle but no cooker) which we found really useful. The 'decor is unique - from Tony's own paintings which adorn all the walls to the murals on the doors. Rooms have balconies: always a positive for us. We lived off Tony's home made wholemeal rolls (dense, fibrous & filling) served in the cafe. But, most of all, we enjoyed Sanny & Tony's company: their openness, their very generous sharing of information, their advice - as well as their listening. We're both in our 60's - and fail to understand why someone thought it was geared towards younger travellers.
The location, just outside China Town, is ideal. (We stayed in Chinatown for 2 nights and found it a tad overwhelming). Great value for money too!

Room Tip: If you can, pay a little extra and go for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobblatchford
chicago
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This place has charm and character. They put me up in the 'sparrows' nest' on the top floor. The room is so hot that in the middle of the day even the large ceiling fan is scarcely of any use, but if you cared about AC and superb amenities, I imagine that you would have stayed someplace fancier.

What you DO get at this place is an owner who clearly put a great deal of thought into designing an aesthetically eclectic and comfortable space for travelers. Every floor has a fridge and a kitchen area, if you are staying in a room without AC, Tony has also provided a well ventilated common area on each floor. The one of the top floor is really quite cool (literally and figuratively) on even the hottest days.

HIGHLY Recommended!

Room Tip: All the rooms I've seen seem rather nice. For a small price I think you can upgrade to a room wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonathan N
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Tony's a very helpful friendly man who you can chat with. Room was big and overall a quiet place. It wasn't super clean, but far from dirty. The guesthouse is only five minutes walk from the Red Square, conveniently located nearby restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012
south Wales
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Tonys guesthouse has everything you would expect for the category.

Tony is pleasant and generally nice. lots of his own art pieces around the place.

The place though Is dirty. needs a seriously good clean. Too many bug bites to count made for an itchy couple of days in lovely Melaka.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank VoyagerMV1980
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I really don't like writing bad reviews about hotels, but I just can't think of anything positive to write about this hostel!

First of all, this place is more a hostel than a guesthouse. There are signs (literally) that will alert you to the fact that this place is geared toward younger travellers - the sign in the shared toilet asking people to "remove their 'remains'" I found particularly unpalatable. There is also no sink in which to wash your hands after gong to the toilet.

The welcome I received from Tony was hardly warm. I think I'm a pretty friendly person, but his reception was disappointing. I asked for a map and got a HUGE second hand one. Surely someone who owns a tourist establishment should have an abundance of maps to give out?!

The room was less than average. I've stayed in hostels, hotels and guesthouses all over the world, and found this one to be the most disappointing. Furthermore, the windows are forced open so you can't close them. This is where my biggest problem was. I'm a light sleeper, and given the close proximity to a main street, there is no end of noise - people yelling, motorbikes honking, car alarms going off, dogs barking - it is impossible for anyone other than a heavy sleeper to get any rest.

I wanted to talk to Tony about this issue, but despite me knocking on the door below and calling out for about five minutes (his lights and the fan were on), he didn't come out. I ended up leaving at about 9.30pm, throwing 20RM through the door and going elsewhere. The place had an "ick" factor about it which, combined with the incredibly noisy area, made me cut my losses and seek alternate accommodation.

I would NOT recommend this place for anyone other than young backpackers with low expectations. If you're expecting an actual guesthouse with a friendly proprietor, you will not get that here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo